SNK, Buriki One, and timeless principles of design...

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
buriki one logo.jpg buriki one screen 1.jpg buriki one screen 2.png

"Buriki One: World Grapple Tournament '99 in Tokyo" does not feature the stylish ranged attacks and multiple complex super meters from SNK's other fighting games. Instead, the game offers a deceptively simple idea that calls back to classic fighters like Karate Champ: flicking the stick towards your opponent executes attacks, and 2 buttons control your character spacing with respect to your opponent. On the surface, Buriki One resembles many other 3d fighting games from this era. The quick demise of the Hyper Neo Geo 64 arcade hardware and a cold reception by gamers, all but guaranteed that Buriki One would be remembered as nothing more than a fighting game with average graphics and an odd/gimicky control scheme.

On the contrary, SNK stripped all of the additional elements away that fighters of this era were known for and highlighted only the most essential elements: spacing and strategy. Not unlike Karate Champ and Karateka of old, Buriki One simply asks players to concentrate on managing spacing and when/where to strike. This was not a rejection of modern fighting games, but an attempt to refine the formula by returning to the genre's genesis.

Karateka screen.png Karate Champ screen.jpg

Other games attempted to break away from the established norms of the fighting genre such as Nintendo's Smash Bros., but Buriki One did so without divorcing itself from the core of the fighting genre itself: martial arts.

Despite featuring the return of a character from Art of Fighting, Buriki One is a no ranged ki attacks, all barehanded grapple fighter. Buriki's presentation has more in common with a game holding the K-1 or UFC license rather than the heavily stylized themes that many fighters possessed at the time. That is not to say that Buriki One is without flair or surprises; rather, the game can be a refreshingly original and deep experience for those who have the opportunity to immerse themselves in its gameplay. Do not be satisfied with videos. This one should be experienced firsthand in order to appreciate its pure calculative and reflexive approach to combat.

What are your thoughts on Buriki One? Love it? Hate it? Do you think the franchise should get a 2nd shot?

Last edited:

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
It'd be nice to try the game on something other than the original hardware.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
What are your thoughts on Buriki One? Love it? Hate it? Do you think the franchise should get a 2nd shot?

Dude, WTF. This ain't Kotaku.

This game sucks, the NG64 is fucking garbage PS1-level tripe. Stop trying to put lipstick on a fucking pig.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
It'd be nice to try the game on something other than the original hardware.

Agreed. It would be great if SNK (or some other publisher) would re-release some of these titles.

This game sucks, the NG64 is fucking garbage PS1-level tripe. Stop trying to put lipstick on a fucking pig.

:keke: Relax dude. Some of us simply like to discuss neo geo games, including the unpopular titles.

Last edited:

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Buriki One is probably the single most underrated SNK game out there. So deep and replayable. Between that and Warrior's Rage HNG64 is a must-own.

I really wish you could emulate it or play a port so more people could experience it.

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
Absolutely love Buriki One, I still hope to one day pick up one of the control panels for it, they used to be everywhere. There is so much strategy to the game, and a much deeper combo system than most people realize. While graphically the HNG64 isn't great, the gameplay on this is on point, slamming people around with Ivan always feels good.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Absolutely love Buriki One, I still hope to one day pick up one of the control panels for it, they used to be everywhere. There is so much strategy to the game, and a much deeper combo system than most people realize. While graphically the HNG64 isn't great, the gameplay on this is on point, slamming people around with Ivan always feels good.

Same here, Buriki One is in my top 5 favorite games on a Neo Geo system, hands down. Those that say it sucks usually have no idea how deep the game play goes.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB71MTr7reI

That combo took me a while to get down since it's executed so fast with a joystick (not buttons).

So much truth! That friggin combo is a PITA, but you feel like a complete badass when you successfully connect with all of the hits and floor an opponent with it.

Buriki One isn't the prettiest, but I totally agree with ya. Who gives a damn about the graphics when the gameplay is so satisfying to learn imho.

Are you using the custom panel or the default setup (sticks on the left or right side)? The game was designed for the stick to be on the right side, but it seems to work surprisingly well either way.

Last edited:

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
Top 10 reasons Buriki One needs to be ported.

Number 5 will surprise you!

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Was this game supposed to be on the psone?

I've seen reports that after Fatal Fury Wild Ambition was ported to ps1, Buriki One was indeed planned to be ported next. However, I have not seen any screenshots, etc to substantiate the claim. I wonder if anyone has any proto screenshots, official announcements, a release list citing the game, etc.

Last edited:

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
I think the real question here is how Samurai Shodown Warriors Rage 2 on the PS1 turn out even worse than the 64 games. I know it was basically their last U.S. release before they went bankrupt but man, SNK just never seemed to get 3D games right. Even when they had another chance in 3D with Samurai shodown Sen. Maybe Samurai shodown just isn't meant to be 3D.

RyoGeo

Global Moderator, Voice of Reason, Member #13

Man, I've been away for a while, but I wasn't aware that you were the arbiter of what is officially an SNK/Neo Geo topic on the "General Discussion," forum. /s

So, BlackaneseNINJA, a newer member, has posted on topic, well thought out observations on a Neo Geo/SNK platform in the proper forum, and you come in here swingin' your dick like you know what's best for the place? Really!?!

Seriously, check your shit. I fucking hate this kind of bullshit. If you wanna knock down posts, which I see you do very often, you can go have a ball in the War Room, but if I continue to see this kind of crap you're gonna get stuffed in there involuntarily.

Contribute. Disagreement is still contribution, provided it isn't wrapped in a shit sandwich. So unwrap your shit, loosen the fuck up, and quit thinking you run the place. Because you don't.

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Buriki One is awesome! Easily my favorite of the Hyper 64 fighters. It had an awesome realistic presentation. The Aikido and Judo dudes were probably my favorites. I've been planning on making a dedicated Buriki stick for a while now, but haven't gotten around to it. For now I just rotate the pcb in my jlf 180 degrees and play with the stick upside down.

It's a real shame buriki was never ported. If more people had access to it I think the general consensus would be different. There's so little information out there on the game right now.

I think the Hyper 64 games just get a bad rep for not being 2d and suffering from the dated look of most 3d games from that era. Once you dive into the games themselves though, there is lots of gold to be found. You just have to really dig for it. Imo, Sam Sho 64 is the most stylish game SNK ever made.

Last edited:

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Man, I've been away for a while, but I wasn't aware that you were the arbiter of what is officially an SNK/Neo Geo topic on the "General Discussion," forum. /s

So, BlackaneseNINJA, a newer member, has posted on topic, well thought out observations on a Neo Geo/SNK platform in the proper forum, and you come in here swingin' your dick like you know what's best for the place? Really!?!

Seriously, check your shit. I fucking hate this kind of bullshit. If you wanna knock down posts, which I see you do very often, you can go have a ball in the War Room, but if I continue to see this kind of crap you're gonna get stuffed in there involuntarily.

Contribute. Disagreement is still contribution, provided it isn't wrapped in a shit sandwich. So unwrap your shit, loosen the fuck up, and quit thinking you run the place. Because you don't.

Wow ! That escalated quickly

:keke::keke:

Kinda see your point.

Last edited:

RyoGeo

Global Moderator, Voice of Reason, Member #13
I have a really beautiful Hyper 64 MoBo, with full kits of Buriki One, Fatal Fury, and Sam Sho: Warriors Rage. While the visuals are certainly blocky (good lord, anything of that initial 3D era looks very, VERY dated), the games play really well. Fatal Fury was a lot faster than I anticipated, Sam Sho actually kept a lot of the feel of the slower pace of the original Sam Sho, and Sam Sho II, and Buriki One was just interesting.

To be honest, I think Sam Sho spent the most time in my cabinet, when the 64 was hooked up, but Buriki One definitely got some time. It's been a long time since I've played it, but I remember having to be pretty strategic in making moves. It did take some real getting used to, transitioning from :down::downf::forw::A: to stick bumps in order to make a move, but it was at least fun learning a new control scheme.

As a player, you definitely had to consider what you were doing with much more weight, which I think is what you were getting at in your initial post. Writing this makes me wish I had a second cabinet, into which I could plug my Hyper 64, or other JAMMA boards. Whenever I took my 4-slot board out of my big red, I always wanted to get it put back very quickly.

Last edited:

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Yikes I thought FR was just fukkin around as always. I didn't think anything'd come of it. I'm glad he chimed in tho. The trolling is part of his charm i think.

I have a really beautiful Hyper 64 MoBo, with full kits of Buriki One, Fatal Fury, and Sam Sho: Warriors Rage. While the visuals are certainly blocky (good lord, anything of that initial 3D era looks very, VERY dated), the games play really well. Fatal Fury was a lot faster than I anticipated, Sam Sho actually kept a lot of the feel of the slower pace of the original Sam Sho, and Sam Sho II, and Buriki One was just interesting.

To be honest, I think Sam Sho spent the most time in my cabinet, when the 64 was hooked up, but Buriki One definitely got some time. It's been a long time since I've played it, but I remember having to be pretty strategic in making moves. It did take some real getting used to, transitioning from :down::downf::forw::A: to stick bumps in order to make a move, but it was at least fun learning a new control scheme.

As a player, you definitely had to consider what you were doing with much more weight, which I think is what you were getting at in your initial post. Writing this makes me wish I had a second cabinet, into which I could plug my Hyper 64, or other JAMMA boards. Whenever I took my 4-slot board out of my big red, I always wanted to get it put back very quickly.

Totally. The weighty strategic input is definitely a big part of the games appeal for me. The hyper 64 fighting games really do play better than they have any right to lol I got tired of having to switch boards too. Only recently did I finally supergun one to keep it on standby. I hope Buriki (and the rest of the hng64 library) gets a port of some sort so more people get a chance to try it for themselves.

Last edited:

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
I really like all of them HNG64 games and Buriki One is no exception. It's a great game with a very individual approach that is always fun for a round or two. However, concerning the line-up it feels totally unbalanced unfortunately. Some of the fighters are much too strong (Ivan iirc) and others are way too weak (like the Sumo guy). Plus the ring outs were odd too. I had the feeling they just happened because the ring was too small. Apart from that you get a good game which is fun to play though.

Stefan

Philadelphia Freeman,
20 Year Member
This game sucks, the NG64 is fucking garbage PS1-level tripe.

Dude, at least 70% of your posts across the forum during the past two years have been nothing short of puerile garbage.

I've seen reports that after Fatal Fury Wild Ambition was ported to ps1, Buriki One was indeed planned to be ported next. However, I have not seen any screenshots, etc to substantiate the claim. I wonder if anyone has any proto screenshots, official announcements, a release list citing the game, etc.

I don't have it lying around to scan, but there was at least one issue of Japan's GAMEST magazine from the Spring of 2000 that ran a column discussing the potential of a couple SNK arcade titles being ported to Dreamcast and being enabled for online multiplayer, namely: Real Bout 2, Metal Slug 3, Last Blade 2, Garou MotW, Buriki One, Samurai Spirits 2: Asura Zanmaden, & Off Beat Racer/Xtreme Rally. 2 or 3 additional puzzle & STG games were cited as candidates as well, but I forgot 'em.

I hope Buriki (and the rest of the hng64 library) gets a port of some sort so more people get a chance to try it for themselves.

I could have sworn it was established sometime during the prior decade in a few SNK staffer interviews that the original source code for all of the extant HNG64 software was irretrievably lost following the 2001 bankruptcy.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Filthy got slammed. Its just the way it is. I support Blackanese Ninja because he's really cool and nice.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I bought a HNG64 and I loved it, buriki one and FF wild ambition are great titles, The SS games imo arent that great if you want to compare them to the NG versions.. that said they are still playable. I liked Buriki One mostly because it is unique but like a lot of gear I have sold it off. I look forward to emulation efforts or a port and while I dont own it anymore I can see why you would want to.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
I really wish I could play this game actually, it looks unique. I don't think I've ever played a game like this unless Bushido Blade is in any way comparable.