SNK Classics V.1 for the Wii is out this week...

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
already got it for the ps2.
but it's nice that they finally got around to the wii.
i guess.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
I would like to hope that these games are fixed on the Wii, but after the disaster that was the PS2 version I'm gonna wait for a definitive review from someone who really knows and loves the Neo.

Fuck, I'm gonna have to do it myself. The allure of Shock Troopers and Last Resort correctly playable with the classic pad is pretty strong.

:emb:

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
what were the problems?
i noticed alot of slowdown on shock troopers
but honestly it's been years since i've played it so i can't compare it critically.

crujones4life

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Picked it up today at best buy for $1.46....I had $30 reward zone dollars:p. I will post some impressions when I get a chance. Later.

crujones4life

Loyal Neo-Disciple
OK so I played 4 games so far.

1. Metal Slug, playes just like it does on the anthology. No better, no worse.

2. Sam Sho, playes great! Just as good as the original as far as I remember. I have it for MVS and CD. The blood is red. No slowdown.

3. KOF '94, plays very well. There is no slowdown. I have not played the MVS cart in way too long so I can not say it is perfect, but it is at least very close. Mai's boobies bounce.

4. Shock Troopers, this game is tits! I have heard numerous complaints about the slowdown in this game. I played throught the first jungle level and ½ way through the second jungle level and there was no slowdown what-so-ever.

That is all for now.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Are the visuals still blurry like Metal Slug Anthology, or are they nice and crisp like the Neo Virtual Console games?

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
Loopz you gotta do it! I only trust you or Chunky on this one.

Man, I am strapped right now. This sucks balls.
A little bit tougher to go for now that I can hook up the MacBook to the telly via HDMI for some hot ROM lovin'.

Hey, I bought their stupid compilation once.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
OK so I played 4 games so far.

1. Metal Slug, playes just like it does on the anthology. No better, no worse.

2. Sam Sho, playes great! Just as good as the original as far as I remember. I have it for MVS and CD. The blood is red. No slowdown.

3. KOF '94, plays very well. There is no slowdown. I have not played the MVS cart in way too long so I can not say it is perfect, but it is at least very close. Mai's boobies bounce.

4. Shock Troopers, this game is tits! I have heard numerous complaints about the slowdown in this game. I played throught the first jungle level and ½ way through the second jungle level and there was no slowdown what-so-ever.

That is all for now.
Sounds good from you're review it does seem better then the ps2 version.

Maybe,i'll snag it for the wii then i haven't bought any thing for it in months.

daybona

Juz,
I have this preordered from gamestop and haven't heard from them yet. Funny that best buy got it first. What is this world coming to?

Has anyone tried this game with the hori wii stick? Heres to hoping you can program four across like the classic neo controller.

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
I have this preordered from gamestop and haven't heard from them yet. Funny that best buy got it first. What is this world coming to?

Has anyone tried this game with the hori wii stick? Heres to hoping you can program four across like the classic neo controller.

I ended up dropping my gamestop pre-order and just picked it up at Best Buy.

crujones4life

Loyal Neo-Disciple
For those wondering controls are completely remapable on all controller options..and this game is compatible with gamecube controllers!:buttrock:

crujones4life

Loyal Neo-Disciple
5. Magician Lord, this one plays pretty good. I believe some people were saying that the other versions had tiling artifacts or some shit like that? Well this one does not. Controls felt just a little stiff, but if I remember correctly that is just the way this game plays...

6. Last Resort, pretty much perfect, its the same miserably tough game it has always been...I am teh suxxorz!!!

7,8,9,10. super side kicks 3, world heroes, fatal fury, burning fight all look and play great/near perfect/perfect. Having lots of fun with sidekicks currently......and Raiden is a bitch. World heroes is so painfully slow, just in general not only on this comp, definitely has not aged well.

BTW I am not sure if the other versions had problems with this but these games load lightning fast, like cartridge fast. Seriously.

Last edited:

Neo Rasa

Whip's Subordinate
Now this is what I'm talking about. Shock Troopers runs great on this (NO load times at all) compared to the PS2 version. Last Resort feels just right. The bullshit scrolling glitches are gone in Magician Lord. I think these are about as close as they can get without being on the Virtual Console.

Everything does look really sharp too. I'm very impressed.

This is a night and day difference compared to the PS2 game. Most importantly, the load times really are just about gone outside of when you first start up the game and when you first select a game from the menu. It's just a few seconds now instead of the five to ten seconds of the PS2 version. No slowdown and choppy loading up of the sacred word of MAX 330 MEGA. Shock Troopers was a blasphemous farce on the PS2 because it actually had load times DURING THE GAME besides running at about 1/2 of its intended speed. This is totally fixed.

I tried this out with the classic controller and Wii remote schemes. If for some reason you don't own the classic you can play it with the Wii remote held sideways like a Virtual Console release. The controls feel MUCH tighter than the PS2 version. It's obviously not as good as a stick but I think this is the best these games can control on a pad. I tried out King of Fighters '94/etc. and had no problems executing moves on this, as opposed to the PS2 game.

I think it's safe to say that unless you have the Neo Geo cartridges, this is the definitive version of each of these games. The only thing missing is the option for arranged soundtracks, though most of these are releases wherein I prefer the Neo Geo's original audio, this may affect some people more than others.

Since this actually lets you customize the controls, I'm considering grabbing a Hori fighter stick just for this release (and Guilty Gear I guess :P ) since it supposedly is read by games as a classic controller.

Everything sounds great too. There's no bad emulation of the samples, I haven't spotted any missing sound effects like in the PS2 release or anything yet.

The PS2 version was such a disappointment that I'm extremely happy about this release existing. This is the first time since the King of Fighters and Metal Slug combo packs a few years back that SNK has absolutely delivered the goods.

Honestly I'm moving in 48 hours otherwise I'd be sitting down for a full breakthrough, if no one else does it in the next few days I'll be back. ;)

Last edited:

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
Now this is what I'm talking about. Shock Troopers runs great on this (NO load times at all) compared to the PS2 version. Last Resort feels just right. The bullshit scrolling glitches are gone in Magician Lord. I think these are about as close as they can get without being on the Virtual Console.

This is a night and day difference compared to the PS2 game. Most importantly, the load times really are just about gone outside of when you first start up the game and when you first select a game from the menu. It's just a few seconds now instead of the five to ten seconds of the PS2 version. No slowdown and choppy loading up of the sacred word of MAX 330 MEGA. Shock Troopers was a blasphemous farce on the PS2 because it actually had load times DURING THE GAME besides running at about 1/2 of its intended speed. This is totally fixed.

I tried this out with the classic controller and Wii remote schemes. If for some reason you don't own the classic you can play it with the Wii remote held sideways like a Virtual Console release. The controls feel MUCH tighter than the PS2 version. It's obviously not as good as a stick but I think this is the best these games can control on a pad. I tried out King of Fighters '94/etc. and had no problems executing moves on this, as opposed to the PS2 game.

I think it's safe to say that unless you have the Neo Geo cartridges, this is the definitive version of each of these games. The only thing missing is the option for arranged soundtracks, though most of these are releases wherein I prefer the Neo Geo's original audio, this may affect some people more than others.

Since this actually lets you customize the controls, I'm considering grabbing a Hori fighter stick just for this release (and Guilty Gear I guess :P ) since it supposedly is read by games as a classic controller.

Everything sounds great too. There's no bad emulation of the samples, I haven't spotted any missing sound effects like in the PS2 release or anything yet.

The PS2 version was such a disappointment that I'm extremely happy about this release existing. This is the first time since the King of Fighters and Metal Slug combo packs a few years back that SNK has absolutely delivered the goods.

Honestly I'm moving in 48 hours otherwise I'd be sitting down for a full breakthrough, if no one else does it in the next few days I'll be back. ;)

Oh shit. Rasa knows what he is talking about too.
I'ma have to grab this sucker.

ferrarimanf355

Bullets QB

I was waiting on the Wii version after hearing about the problems on the PS2 and PSP versions, and I'm very happy that the wait was worth it. I'll just pick this version up and any future Wii SNKP comps as well. :cool:

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
cool. i'ma go for this because

1. my hori stick gets no love
2. my wii gets no love :oh_no: this is terrible
3. i'm too lazy to install my mvs into a cab.
4. my neo geo gets no love (see 3)
5. I haven't played shock troopers in AGES

and to think I almost went with the ps2 ver.

K1ngArth3r

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Looking forward to this but cannot find it anywhere, looks like the UK release won't be out until later in the year.

Would be good if they introduced some online aspects to these games much like the Live Arcade does with Fatal Fury etc.

Would be really nice to play these games online against some people who actually like these games for a change :loco:

Ruell

, I FORGOT MY SECRET SANTA OBLIGATION. FUCK ME, RI
Damn. I sold my Wii. Guess I'll either have to pick up the MVS copies or not at all.