SNK Famicom Games

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
Climbed into the Closet of Death (TM) this afternoon and dug out my Famiclone and a few old Famicom games.

First up was "Great Tank". Spent a good thirty minutes or so on it, but eventually gave up due to frustration.

That's a hard little game.

I think it would have been much more playable if the programmers gave you a fixed turret. Trying to turn and aim the damn thing while being attacked requires more coordination than I have.

The graphics weren't as bad as I thought they'd be though. Not bad at all for 1988. I'll probably end up taking a crack at this thing again.

And the tank driver in the Japanese version is a version of Ralf (I say "version of" because Great Tank is set in WW2, which is a bit before the KOF Ralf's time).

Next up was "Baseball Star".

I hate baseball games (mostly because I'm lousy at them). I was lousy at this too, so the game didn't even last an inning before the Hand of God removed the cart from the Famiclone. No small loss - I only paid 100 yen for it. Again, the graphics were pretty good for 1989. If I actually liked sports games I might be inclined to give it more of a chance.

"Athena" has gone down in price to around 1500 for the bare cart (the same amount I paid for Great Tank). I'm going to try and get my hands on a copy of that one of these days.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Climbed into the Closet of Death (TM) this afternoon and dug out my Famiclone and a few old Famicom games.

First up was "Great Tank". Spent a good thirty minutes or so on it, but eventually gave up due to frustration.

That's a hard little game.

I think it would have been much more playable if the programmers gave you a fixed turret. Trying to turn and aim the damn thing while being attacked requires more coordination than I have.

The graphics weren't as bad as I thought they'd be though. Not bad at all for 1988. I'll probably end up taking a crack at this thing again.

And the tank driver in the Japanese version is a version of Ralf (I say "version of" because Great Tank is set in WW2, which is a bit before the KOF Ralf's time).

Next up was "Baseball Star".

I hate baseball games (mostly because I'm lousy at them). I was lousy at this too, so the game didn't even last an inning before the Hand of God removed the cart from the Famiclone. No small loss - I only paid 100 yen for it. Again, the graphics were pretty good for 1989. If I actually liked sports games I might be inclined to give it more of a chance.

"Athena" has gone down in price to around 1500 for the bare cart (the same amount I paid for Great Tank). I'm going to try and get my hands on a copy of that one of these days.

Baseball Stars and Guerilla War were two of my favorite games for the NES.

My cousins and I had so much damn fun with both.

the.bet

Kula's Candy
15 Year Member
POW

I still bust out the NES at least once a year. It tends to stay pluggen in for a good month.

My Fav is P.O.W - God I wish thay would have made an AES/MVS sequel to that.

Retrogamer

Troller of Old Men,
20 Year Member
Crystalis is one of my top 10 NES games, it is still very solid and playable even to today's standards!

Edit: I forgot the title was "famicom" so the famicom version was known as:

God Slayer: Haruka Tenkū no Sonata

famicomgodslayerbox.JPG

Last edited:

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
I still bust out the NES at least once a year. It tends to stay pluggen in for a good month.

POW was one of my faves,
It's actually one I've never beat though.
I should try that out sometime if I ever lug out the old nes.

kuroiryu

n00b
I just played through Crystalis (i.e. God Slayer) a couple of months ago. That game is a classic. :)

My fiancee was a huge fan of Baseball Stars when she was a kid, but it didn't make her an SNK fan like me.

I always wanted to play through Athena, but the game never really made sense to me. :eek:

jsiucho

Sakura's Bank Manager
15 Year Member

I remember playing this a lot on the arcades, I tried the nes one back in the day and wasnt too impressed, not sure why.

JS

tsukaesugi

Crystalis is one of my top 10 NES games, it is still very solid and playable even to today's standards!

Edit: I forgot the title was "famicom" so the famicom version was known as:

God Slayer: Haruka Tenkū no Sonata[/IMG]

Never even heard of that one - that's another game I'm going to have to track down.

Thanks for the tip.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
armored scrum object always gets overlooked.

Baseball stars 1 is probably the best Baseball game on the NES....

Last edited:

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
Crystalis,Iron Tank,POW...good times in the 8 bit land.

I must have beaten Crystalis at least 4 times.

Retrogamer

Troller of Old Men,
20 Year Member
Never even heard of that one - that's another game I'm going to have to track down.

Thanks for the tip.

No problem!

Play the US version, unless you can read Japanese, it is a Zelda type game with a lot of reading.

tsukaesugi

No problem!

Play the US version, unless you can read Japanese, it is a Zelda type game with a lot of reading.

Hmm, maybe I'll look for the English ROM then.

I can read Japanese, but a lot of the older Famicom game have text in only hiragana or katakana, which is actually much harder to read with no kanji for context. It's more headache inducing than a VirtualBoy game.

I'll get you for that Sage... I'LL GET YOU FOR THAAAaaattt!!!

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
Does anyone besides me enjoy (I use that term as loosely as possible) playing any of the various SNK pirates on the Famicom?

I could actually play Garou Densetsu somewhat, but not so much with Samurai Spirits.

tsukaesugi

Does anyone besides me enjoy (I use that term as loosely as possible) playing any of the various SNK pirates on the Famicom?

I could actually play Garou Densetsu somewhat, but not so much with Samurai Spirits.

Are you talking about the SuperFami / SNES?

I was too poor in university to own a Neo-Geo, or even a 3DO, so I had to make do with the SNES version of Samurai Shodown. It's such a completely different game that "port" doesn't even begin to actually describe it. "Reimagining" would be a better word - the SNES "reimagining" of Samurai Shodown. (I still had a lot of fun with it though.)

And I actually PREFERRED the SNES version of World Heroes to the Neo-Geo original.

MoriyaMinakata

Stakes Winner 2
15 Year Member
The arcade P.O.W. is much better than the FC version.
I know there were hardware limitations, but they coulda atleast made it 2p like the arcade version

tsukaesugi

I mean the unlicensed pirate carts for the Famicom.

I was looking for pirate Famicom carts when I first moved to Tokyo, but I never could find any, so I just gave up. I always wanted to play the Famicom version of Street Fighter 2 ever since I saw it in an EGM years and years ago.