SNK Playmore possibly shutting down pachinko slot division

AESGuy

New Challenger
I am really excited to see in which direction the company is heading. Could turn out in really good games IF the new owner is trying to risk something and is not just milking old cash cows like KOF to death.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
^ It was stated that the new owners purchased Playmore BECAUSE of the different licenses. Not just KOF. So from that statement it sounds like they want to do something more then KOF.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
During a recent trip to China, it's been nice to see that KOF is big over there. Though I'm skeptical about whatever SNKP does now, the only thing for me to latch onto at this point with Leyou is that they will actually try and develop some fighting games. It's a damn shame however that it had to come to this...

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Haha that is true. I meant I am excited to see what the new owner is going to do with SNKP ips.

New owner:
"Let's revive Nam-1975 and make sequel to a FPS with 60fps! Magician Lord 2 like Resident Evil type game...................."

gray117

Crazed MVS Addict
15 Year Member
New owner was Chinese? Presuming pachinko/gambling gets a bad rap over there I imagine there's little benefit to having this division in your company portfolio... Especially if you're trying to sell to a Japanese market I could see that not being a smooth ride.

Still pretty sure it was recent news that pachinko has never been so popular/profitable as it is now?

As an aside I'm pretty sure snkp is safer now that it has been for years, just what happens to the various brands is the question - I'm still wishing someone connected to that company would just do an official collection of all neo games with all regions mvs/aes, scaling/crt filters as options, dip switches and art work/manuals/articles as digital libraries and just put that out for pc and cross platform consoles (which lets face it are basically laptops now).

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
New owner:
"Let's revive Magician Lord 2 like Resident Evil type game...................."

You're right. To declare bankruptcy had evidently it's merits for SNK. They fortunately passed away with the least of decency in their heart. And since those electrifying new ideas above wouldn't sell anyway, we, at least, don't have to worry.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
^ In all honesty there are signs that making classic titles as a budget title does work. Can this company produce multiple big budget games? I highly doubt it. However making something close to what the classic games were is a possibility.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
That's interesting as it's an official press release. If they start pumping out new entries in their core series I'm happy with that, although I'm fairly certain 95% of all of their games will be mobile-only. What I would give for more console releases. Anyways, this is interesting.

i think most people don't really care for the console releases either.besides king of fighters 11, most of their other games such as neo geo battle coliseum,kof neo wave,kof maximum impact,samurai show down 6,kof 12,13 wasn't received well.

most would agree that neo geo/snk is strictly a retro console/company.

badmind36

n00b
It's official:

http://dreamcancel.com/2015/11/02/snk-playmore-officially-withdraws-from-pachislot-business/

"A few weeks ago, we reported that SNK Playmore might be withdrawing from the Pachislot business. Today, the company has officially released a press statement to announce their withdrawal from the Pachislot industry.

With the Pachislot division shut down, SNK Playmore will focus on their games and licensing business. For games, the company will leverage their partnership with Ledo to create synergy in the mobile games category. The company is also focusing on console games, with the PS4 exclusive The King of Fighters XIV being the focus of development right now. The company is also expanding its games development staff.

For their licensing business, the company will continue to leverage the popular IP titles like The King of Fighters, Metal Slug, and Samurai Spirits. In particular, their recent partnerships with Ledo on “The King of Fighters 97 OL” and with OurPalm on “The King of Fighters 98 OL” have been highly sucessful. The company expects many more partnerships in China and the rest of the world in the future.

The company cites the decline of Pachinko players and also regulatory changes have created uncertainties in the Pachislot business. Due to the difficultly in forecasting the Pachislot business, the company have decided to withdraw from the industry. All the staff from the Pachislot business will be transferred to the games division."

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
It's official:

http://dreamcancel.com/2015/11/02/snk-playmore-officially-withdraws-from-pachislot-business/

"A few weeks ago, we reported that SNK Playmore might be withdrawing from the Pachislot business. Today, the company has officially released a press statement to announce their withdrawal from the Pachislot industry.

With the Pachislot division shut down, SNK Playmore will focus on their games and licensing business. For games, the company will leverage their partnership with Ledo to create synergy in the mobile games category. The company is also focusing on console games, with the PS4 exclusive The King of Fighters XIV being the focus of development right now. The company is also expanding its games development staff.

For their licensing business, the company will continue to leverage the popular IP titles like The King of Fighters, Metal Slug, and Samurai Spirits. In particular, their recent partnerships with Ledo on “The King of Fighters 97 OL” and with OurPalm on “The King of Fighters 98 OL” have been highly sucessful. The company expects many more partnerships in China and the rest of the world in the future.

The company cites the decline of Pachinko players and also regulatory changes have created uncertainties in the Pachislot business. Due to the difficultly in forecasting the Pachislot business, the company have decided to withdraw from the industry. All the staff from the Pachislot business will be transferred to the games division."

Its about goddamn time.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
I'm kind of torn about this. If Pachinko was giving them the revenue they needed to stay afloat, or siphon towards game development, then this is a bad thing.

I would presume that revenue from it must be a fair bit lower now for them to completely abandon the format.

In a perfect world this would lead directly to The Last Blade 3.

In reality it'll end up being some super slutty Chinese mobile game called Last Blade 2 OL.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Somebody better tell Konami that pachislot is declining.

Also, while this SNK focusing on game development is good news, I reserve my fanboy enthusiasm until I see what they produce.

As for who should get the IPs, just let Atlus or Arc System Works take care of them. A Garou 2 or new Fatal Fury that looks and plays like Guilty Gear Xrd would be the last video game that ever needs to be made.

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Hopefully they're going to start focusing on console release, but we all really know that they'll just put all that money into just KOF 14 and mobile games.

Elder

NEST Puppet
Hopefully they're going to start focusing on console release, but we all really know that they'll just put all that money into just KOF 14 and mobile games.

Yeah that's pretty much exactly what I thinks is going to happen. Sure I'd love to see MOTW2 or LB3 on the PS4, but realistically the chances of that happening are virtually zero. We'll likely start to see a lot of mobile games targeted towards the Chinese market, with the occasional console release like KOF 14.

Phexe

Quiz Detective
I wonder if the Chinese owners of SNKP team up with the Chinese Bootleggers on Aliexpress and start making Official Bootlegs released by SNKP? :keke:

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
A Garou 2 or new Fatal Fury that looks and plays like Guilty Gear Xrd would be the last video game that ever needs to be made.

As much as I like the graphics of Xrd I would rather Dimps did Garou 2 considering most of the people left who were working on the unfinished one are probably at Dimps along with the creator of the Fatal Fury series. Besides GGXrd falls into the same trap all the GG game do for me. I play, get excited for a bit, then lose all steam and let it rot. I can't say I ever hate it, but I always find it easy to forget about.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Honestly I can't see SNKP making it another five years without Pachinko revenue. But not really a great loss. It's not like SNKP has done much lately for fans of SNK. And I can't see Chinese owners doing anything to change that. Name just one really good Chinese game manufacturer.