SNK Playmore possibly shutting down pachinko slot division

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
The thing I like about the new owners are they aren't just trying to survive by making games. About 10 years ago I had a Chinese Import store at a mall near me and they had a ton of SNK merchandise. Wall scrolls, puzzles, toys, games it was insane. Then the stuff afterwards is few and far between.

Most of the people that know about KOF or Fatal Fury know of it originally from the Fatal Fury anime. That's why Terry Bogard is so popular. If they can merchandise and do animes and so forth they might end up surprising us. The problem with selling stuff is getting people excited about it.

Elder

NEST Puppet

supersega

Mr. Big's Thug
Hrm! Maybe if we're lucky, buy all SNK stuff from now on, and they get good sales, we could be looking at a Neo Geo 2! Eventually. Maybe. MAYBE.

cyriades

Super Spy Agent
This gives me hope that maybe, just maybe, we'll see franchises other than KOF and Metal Slug get revived. Whether the sequels will be any good or not, eh... Time will tell...

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Hrm! Maybe if we're lucky, buy all SNK stuff from now on, and they get good sales, we could be looking at a Neo Geo 2! Eventually. Maybe. MAYBE.

Nope. No maybes. No nothing. About as likely as a Dreamcast 2.

Shakepants

Crossed Swords Squire
Kinda happy they're ditching pachinko. Can only get better from here...maybe. :scratch:

It looks like SNK Playmore is serious by the developments at PlayStation Experience today. One step at a time to a full fledged return to the console market. A Neo-Geo 2 would easily have potential today. People are still searching for that classic Arcade experience. The type where a person doesn't have to set aside a 90 hours investment for the full show. Splatoon this year was an immense success and it largely reminds of Arcade gameplay of the 90s.

fernandeath

Morden's Lackey
It looks like SNK Playmore is serious by the developments at PlayStation Experience today. One step at a time to a full fledged return to the console market. A Neo-Geo 2 would easily have potential today. People are still searching for that classic Arcade experience. The type where a person doesn't have to set aside a 90 hours investment for the full show. Splatoon this year was an immense success and it largely reminds of Arcade gameplay of the 90s.

Unfortunatelly their partnership with Sony is letting me down a bit (I'm a Xbone owner).
But it's good to see they're changing.
A Neo Geo 2 ? Even though it was not an official product (but a licensed one) the Neo Geo X Gold gave us an idea a new console from SNKP would be a mistake...

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
When you say a "Neo Geo 2" I'm not sure what you're even dreaming up. There's no need for such a thing.

In their current form I envision a digital download service/ USB stick/ PlayStation TV like device with internal storage. It would cost around $9.99 a month and you'd have access to different Neo-Geo classics each month, you could pay additional to keep a title for life. Each month traditional 2D Neo-Geo/Neo-Geo Pocket Color esque releases would arrive on the service, some would be available for free like on Amazon prime while the rest would need to be purchased/rented. I would start with a sequel to Card Fighters Clash, which has endless possibilities for expansion/add-ons/card packs and wouldn't require an immense development team necessarily. SNK could partner up with other 80s/90s coin-op companies to release games on the service as well.

In the months where new games/add-ons remain in development you could release classics that were never fully published for the home console market like Neo-Geo 64 games in their original form. All releases would have widescreen option available, at the least a stretching option to fill the whole screen to avoid bars. Exclusives like Samurai Showdown RPG from the Neo-Geo CD, Bio-Motor Unitron 2 fully translated would also be a draw. The system would arrive with a replica of the original Neo-Geo arcade stick but completely wireless with a home button. You could also release SNK style amiibos available exclusively on their online-store/physical release replicas of newer games for the pure collectors market.

Dark Sakul

Marked Wolf
I just see this and the first thing I am thinking is Konami is going to go broke if even SNKP pulling out of the pachinko business.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
In their current form I envision a digital download service/ USB stick/ PlayStation TV like device with internal storage. It would cost around $9.99 a month and you'd have access to different Neo-Geo classics each month, you could pay additional to keep a title for life. Each month traditional 2D Neo-Geo/Neo-Geo Pocket Color esque releases would arrive on the service, some would be available for free like on Amazon prime while the rest would need to be purchased/rented. I would start with a sequel to Card Fighters Clash, which has endless possibilities for expansion/add-ons/card packs and wouldn't require an immense development team necessarily. SNK could partner up with other 80s/90s coin-op companies to release games on the service as well.

In the months where new games/add-ons remain in development you could release classics that were never fully published for the home console market like Neo-Geo 64 games in their original form. All releases would have widescreen option available, at the least a stretching option to fill the whole screen to avoid bars. Exclusives like Samurai Showdown RPG from the Neo-Geo CD, Bio-Motor Unitron 2 fully translated would also be a draw. The system would arrive with a replica of the original Neo-Geo arcade stick but completely wireless with a home button. You could also release SNK style amiibos available exclusively on their online-store/physical release replicas of newer games for the pure collectors market.
A Rom-/Mamebox will get you half of what you are proposing (or even more and for less money) and the other half (although it would be very nice and I'd buy it) won't attract enough buyers. Especially the "casual gamers" will not get into this (too hard, too old, current/last gen consoles keep them occupied) while collectards and purists are after "the real thing"... cool and neat idea, but not financially sound.

On a mere personnel level I also doubt that SNKP (and other companies) have the means to develop the hardware, I’d think any project larger than an individual game release demands too much persistence.

Waverider2049

Kula's Candy
As crazy as it sounds I think Konami would be a good company to purchase the games division of SNKP. They don't have many games these days and could revitalize some of the IP's and actually do what they do best. Make quality games.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
As crazy as it sounds I think Konami would be a good company to purchase the games division of SNKP. They don't have many games these days and could revitalize some of the IP's and actually do what they do best. Make quality games.

Yeah. It would super neat if they started developing the neo geo 2.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide

Now this is worth a quote! There are still so many 2D sprite talents among Japanese coders and there's equally as much potential in creating an alternative to current gen games. Maybe something like Apple did recently with their Apple TV. A strong download platform with occasional physical releases strictly dedicated to classic gaming. Just get the controller right and I'm in.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member

It worked well for Hudson when Konami bought them and all their licenses...

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
You know Konami has pretty much shut down most of its games divisions, right?

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member

Oh maaan that would be so sweet, it would totally do really well and with the extra money everybody at Sony would join them and create neo-geo 3!

Elder

NEST Puppet

Setherial

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
lol@comment

Trasken
Brian Ashcraft
12/31/15 7:44am

So SNK pulled a reverse Konami?
Reply2 replies