SNK Playmore sues Square Enix and get their offices raided by the police

Shuri

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
Sources:
http://www.mmcafe.com/cgi-bin/forums/bbs/messages/13494.shtml#67902
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=868814

teresting news today. According to a report by the MSN Sankei, Square Enix's main office in Tokyo and related personnel were raided on August 5 by the Osaka district police due to a criminal complaint filed by SNK Playmore.

The claim alleges that SNK Playmore's intellectual properties were being infringed by Square Enix's publishing division in their popular arcade manga "High-score Girl". Police officials will be looking through confiscated evidence and will be conducting interrogations to the editor as well as the author, Rensuke Oshikiri.

"High-score Girl" is a love comedy manga that takes place in Japan during the 1990s and features many scenes with fighting games which was the big trend at the time. SNK Playmore claims that the manga has over 100 cutscenes featuring characters from their games including KOF and Samurai Shodown. The end pages of the books have (C) printed with SNKPlaymore's company name, making it look as though they were published under permission.

SNK Playmore realized the infringement when anime production for High-score Girl began in summer of 2013 and its production company contacted them for authorization on the use of their characters and music. The company filed suit this May.

From neogaf, this shit is from the manga:
wHEYctH.png
bZdzUHF.png
6lXhGSC.png

:scratch: Maybe SNK is trying to get extra funds for KOF14

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
LOL

Because the last lawsuit SNKP went after was REAL successful. :keke:

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Messed up that they misrepresented SNKP but come on guys. What is to be gained?

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
Beff plz. It worked out great. Megapack vol 2 is nowhere in sight.

Oh that was the last one? I was referencing the whole NGF thing.

Shit, I don't know what I'm talking about.

PS: Chili = soup

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
Nothing damning there heh heh. SNK, Capcom, and Midway needs to triple-team Square/Enix. You know SNKP is SO happy this happened. If you can't make the monies with great game content... then sue every fucker who fondles your corpse. Shit. AOF 1 & FF2 in the arcade were teenage video game milestones for me.. where's the balls SNK had when they made that stuff? SNK was to games like Stallone & Arnie are to movies. SNKP has needed it's edge back for years now... will that ship reach port? Or has modern culture chiseled it's grave? Come on SNKP.. the next KOF needs to have this edge. In fact, SNKP really ought to remake some early Neo-Geo titles in HD 3D. Booze makes me rant.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
FFS was more than 17 years ago, so by US standards the patent is expired. Don't know how that works in Japan.

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
FFS was more than 17 years ago, so by US standards the patent is expired. Don't know how that works in Japan.

SNK Playmore claims that the manga has over 100 cutscenes featuring characters from their games including KOF and Samurai Shodown.

The KOF patent expires in 2018. So they have a reason to Sue them.

joe_higashi19

Life is an Illusion, The Magic is Down My Pants.,
I just think they should support it an take a cut of the profits if any. I mean it is not like they themselves have not dabbled in anime. Fatal Fury an Kof an i beleive art of fighting if i remember right samurai showdown all have some sort of anime representation . So just give your permission an take the money that way. Since i am sure they dont plan on doing so again.

Last edited:

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
The makers of Grappler Baki (who are also currently doing fuckall these days) ought to retroactively sue SNKP for Buriki One if that's the case.

fernandeath

Morden's Lackey
e
The KOF patent expires in 2018. So they have a reason to Sue them.

2018, really?
Anyway, if the manga is somehow paying a tribute do SNKP's IPs I don't think they should have been sued.
Unless S-E is depreciating them in the manga context.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Love all the SE hate.

SNKP, Capcom, and SE are all shit now. All of them have made shit decisions and in general shit games.

Midway doesn't exist, so Warner Bros would have to go after them. I don't really see them doing that as they like free advertisement.

Tommo and SNKP still are dealing with legal stuff as Tommo is now trying to go after SNKP saying there was no breach of contract.

This also could hurt SNKP on the Arcade side as SE owns Taito, if they want a new KOF in the arcades they might need to go elsewhere on the hardware side.

Overall its just fanboys picking their fav company. In the end they all deserve a kick in the balls.

Big Al

Rugal's Thug
Reminds me of when Atari tried all that stuff with their patents. I think they got a fortune from Sega?

Kind of sad when a once great company is reduced to this. I suppose right is on their side but maybe if anything the Manga promoted their games?

TikTekTak

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
A new low for SNKP. Don't they have better things to do? Like developing video games?

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
You guys are confusing copyrights and patents. They are two very different things and this is a case of copyright infringement.

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
This will mean another financial boom on SNK's side.

vaillian

King's Dry Cleaner
why the hate for SNK? this is good news if SNK gets more money to make games. They are really in financial trouble everyone can see that by the less amount of new games they developed in recent year

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
why the hate for SNK? this is good news if SNK gets more money to make games. They are really in financial trouble everyone can see that by the less amount of new games they developed in recent year

They are in financial trouble due to their own judgement.

There is a major difference between the current states of Capcom, SNKP, and SE.

SNKP and Capcom can't admit their fuck ups and reorganize their upper management that caused them.

SE after years of wasting money on R&D with internal engines and major fuck ups. Admitted their issue, reorganized their upper management and are slowly attempting to rebuild from their mess.

Getting funds from settlements is by no means a fix to an internal upper management issue.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
So... Japan doesn't recognize fair use? It's a drawing of an arcade cabinet for chrissakes. Not like SE stole code for games and made it their own, it's a snippet in a damn comic.

Yay! They'll be able to make more shitty iOS/Android touch control games!

vaillian

King's Dry Cleaner
They are in financial trouble due to their own judgement.

There is a major difference between the current states of Capcom, SNKP, and SE.

SNKP and Capcom can't admit their fuck ups and reorganize their upper management that caused them.

SE after years of wasting money on R&D with internal engines and major fuck ups. Admitted their issue, reorganized their upper management and are slowly attempting to rebuild from their mess.

Getting funds from settlements is by no means a fix to an internal upper management issue.

Your logic is flawed, activision Blizzard fucks up since a decade and they dont get punished. The truth simple is that games like KOF or survival horror isnt appealing to dumb casuals these days thats the sad truth. Japanese games get disrespected and dissed because they are foreign to western gamers (the new casual twats). Sqaure enix is only doing well because they bought eidos.

Its always funny to see the same people who cry about that capcom doesnt release the old resi and didnt bought resident evil 6 for that reason are the same people who buy call of duty and telling the industry this is the direction to go. Also capcom will release the old gamecube remake on pc and next gen console btw.