SNK Revival: New IRC Channel, Tournaments, and more!

Josh the FunkDOC

Crazed MVS Addict
Hello, everybody!

As you can see in Dark Geese's posts, SNK games have garnered more interest from other crowds (Capcom, Guilty Gear, etc.) as of late. He's got the major tournament stuff covered, but I figured I'd let you all know about some of the other recent happenings.

Less than a month ago, we created a new IRC channel on EFNet. It was originally meant just for World Heroes Perfect and dubbed #WHP, but we eventually decided that it should cover all SNK games (yes I know World Heroes isn't SNK etc.) since a channel for each one would be too cumbersome. With that in mind, we changed the name to #srkSNK, and it's started to get a little more action lately. This channel is the place to go for online matchmaking, and now we are going to start using it for something more...

...that being tournaments! OK, I need to back up here a bit:

Back in February, a fellow by the name of 0746 (the same one who created the Kaillera p2p) released a new emulator called NeoFBA. As suggested by the name, it is FBA, but with significant additions. Most importantly, it uses the Kaillera p2p but with something new: Lag compensation! In English, this means that nFBA removes most of the lag from online play without even slowing down the computer; I live in Ohio, and I've had matches against people on the West Coast and even in Europe with only 2 frames of delay (don't believe the display window when it tells you 4 or 5 or whatever).

This was a drastic leap forward for online play, as it removed a lot of the barriers to good quality matches. 3rd Strike and Super Turbo began running weekly online tournaments with this emulator, and now we aim to follow suit with SNK!

Tomorrow, at 9:00 PM EST, we are running the first ever World Heroes Perfect online tournament. This will take place in the #srkSNK IRC channel on EFNet, though you can use AIM if you are unable to get into IRC. If you are interested and want more info, take a look at THIS THREAD for enormous amounts of info on the game itself and THIS THREAD for the tournament rules.

We hope to make this a weekly event, and eventually include other quality tournament games like Real Bout 2 and Garou!

Good luck, and hope to see you tomorrow or in future weeks!

Thanks,
Josh.

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
nice try,but wrong site

people here don't play fighting games seriously

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
Fran said:
nice try,but wrong site

people here don't play fighting games seriously
Pfft. It ain't from lack of trying on some of our parts.

@Josh.
Just WHP tomorrow, eh?
Not my best game. By a long shot.
But if there'll be casuals around while the comp is going, than I'm up for it.

Do you pick your own character? Assigned from hat draw?
What's the skinny?

As it is, I have to wait for a package tomorrow, so I should be home all day to play around with this.

Guess I should jump into the IRC channel for this....

Thanks for the heads up!

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
KagerouSama said:
Pfft. It ain't from lack of trying on some of our parts.

always been like that,what can you do

Soniku

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
I've seen this before, but never really looked into it...

So it fixes desyncing issues? I haven't had too many lag issues (ok, not entirely true) with Kaillera, it was mostly just desyncing problems even when everything seemed to be running pretty much lagless.

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
Soniku said:
I've seen this before, but never really looked into it...

So it fixes desyncing issues? I haven't had too many lag issues (ok, not entirely true) with Kaillera, it was mostly just desyncing problems even when everything seemed to be running pretty much lagless.
Sound is a bit wonky with the emulator they chose. But the gameplay is golden.

Soniku

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
KagerouSama said:
Sound is a bit wonky with the emulator they chose. But the gameplay is golden.

Yeah I've been messing with it... I can get video to work just fine, but audio is another issue. It's really raspy, and seems to get better if you increase the amount of frames it buffers with, but that also makes the audio insanely laggy. I can't seem to find a decent balance and I don't think one really exists.

What a piece. :angry:

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
I don't use IRC, but maybe I'll get to it for online matches.

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
OrochiEddie said:
I don't use IRC, but maybe I'll get to it for online matches.

Hell yeah, we could always use more people on #srksnk.

nFBA is good stuff, more people should get on and play!