SNK UFO Catcher

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
While looking through my cell phone photos for pictures for this thread, I found this:

SNKUFO.jpg

This is an authentic SNK UFO Catcher ("UFO Catcher" is the generic Japanese name for the use-a-claw-to-try-and-catch-a-prize games you sometimes see in arcades).

This particular picture is a couple of years old now. I don't remember where I took it, but I'm guessing one of the bigger game centers in Shinjuku.

I *do* remember being surprised, because I didn't know that SNK made UFO Catchers.

A couple of more pictures from my cell phone...

SNK also made NeoPrint (photo-sticker) machines. Here's one of the last SNK NeoPrint machines that I've seen still in use. It's in Kamakura at the Enoshima line train station:

NeoPrint1.jpg

NeoPrint2.jpg

The actual photos from early photo-sticker machines like the NeoPrint were quite small. These days the photos are much larger, and you can add effects and digitally manipulate the images before you print them out.

That's why it's rare to see an older machine like this still active. It's not because they break down easily, or blank sticker-sheets are hard to get, it's because customers don't want to use them.

This particular machine makes specific photo-stickers with an Enoshima train line theme, which is why it's still around. I've seen two other "place specific" NeoPrint machines before: once in Okinawa, and once in Matsushima in Miyagi.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Awesome. Who would've thought?

I'd love to play one of these, I'm pretty good at them, as I never put a coin in an "UFO catcher" unless I'm absolutely sure it's possible to grab a prize.

They should have SNK themed plush dolls inside though, I'd want a plush Fernadeath from WW7.

fernandeath.png

novabomb

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Pretty funny, it looks like Namco made some of these ufo catchers also. It's all about the money in the end!

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Funny thing is the SNK-brand UFO Catcher is filled with Studio Ghibli keychain miniplushes. :)

Thanks for sharing, Tsuka!

Rig

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I absolutely LOVE UFO catchers. I spent tons of my money in them when I was in Japan.

Claw machines were always big fun for me as a kid, but, the prizes are pretty pitiful most of the time. Guess that's why the UFO catchers are infinitely better.

The local mini-golf place actually still has one of those Neo Prints in their arcade.

GeorgeM

New Challenger
I reckon most of the original plushes have long gone by now, great find there though :)