So a co-worker game me a Laseractive for free!!

Cornerb0y

Krauser's Henchman
A co-worker I usually talk to about classic computers and dead technology brought up that he had a few laser disc players and I mentioned how I always wanted one. Then he mention that he had the Laseractive...and I lost my shit! He noticed how much I was interested, so he gave it to me! So he tested it out before bringing it up to work, and on his was to his car....fucking dropped it. It turns on, and can play Genesis games (has that pac only), but wont spin disc, I haven't had much of a chance to mess with it, but here are some pictures!
ghNN9Hm.jpeg

7PwQKYr.jpeg

Cave in from the drop
nQDaCd1.jpeg

I opened it up to get the laser back on track, but the disc just will not spin at all (cd or ld). Any suggestions? Like I've said I haven't done much at all with it, mainly due to my hours at work.

Last edited:

SuperDeadite

Zero's Tailor
Step 1, open the PAC now. The Sega PACs are notorious for leaking caps. They will eat right through the traces and destroy the PAC completely. They all must be changed. A question of when, not if. Even my personal PAC looked minty fresh inside, but the first cap removed showed it had indeed just started to leak. The NEC PACs also have this issue.

Mac91

I wonder if anyone saved my dickpic?
10 Year Member
That's a beautiful machine you have there. I've always had a fondness for Laserdisks.

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
Daaaamn... nice find.

Pretty awesome to have the Sega pac, too bad about not spinning up :(

Cornerb0y

Krauser's Henchman
I'm going try and find a place in DFW that does repairs, or if any of the Dallas members that can look as well.

rsa2000

n00b
That is frackin sweet! It probly just knocked something out of alignment check the switches inside that registers when the tray is closed. I have two regular players and a stack of movies it is fun to watch movies on them vhs was far worse. I would crap my pants if someone gave me a laseractive. Good luck on getting it repaired it will be worth it!

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
if the drive is busted the chance of finding a replacement drive at an "affordable" price(let a lone a replacement period) would be slim. so yeah, hopefully you can find someone who can make repairs to it.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
Great system.
Can be a real expensive thing to collect for though.

Cornerb0y

Krauser's Henchman
I found a Laserdisc forum I'm going to join and see if I can get some help from them as well. Of course Ill keep you guys posted. Like I said before, if anyone here is willing to help, just shoot me a pm!

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I found a Laserdisc forum I'm going to join and see if I can get some help from them as well. Of course Ill keep you guys posted. Like I said before, if anyone here is willing to help, just shoot me a pm!

I fix cell phones and xbox 360's. I could most likely fix your system, the issue would be parts for it though(which i don't know where to get). wee

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
somehow I knew this story was going to be too good to be true. just your luck. listen to the man above and have it recapped or not only will you have a useless LD player, but a useless sega PAC as well.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
So he tested it out before bringing it up to work, and on his was to his car....fucking dropped it.
Hope you get it sorted. Such a typical and common situation unfortunately i.e. you had to be grateful for the FREE LD and of course, the fact that he dropped it for free too.

People...

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
Ha! The title of this thread really struck me because I gave a Laseractive with Genesis pack to a co-worker of mine for free too a few years ago. Wasn't interested in dealing with bullshit trying to sell it. He expressed interest into getting some LDs, but didn't have a player... so I told him have I got a player for you! He also likes old classic video game consoles.

Had 3 at the time and didn't have space for the third. Usually give stuff I don't want to him. He'll take anything. He's even got old coffee tables, cabinets, etc from me.

Last edited:

vincewy

Loyal Neo-Disciple,
20 Year Member
Ouch! That unit (outer shell) looks mint.

I don't know the cost of a replacement CLD-A100 these days but it might be easier to go that route if your time is limited.

zorro

Galford's Poppy Trainer
While you get it worked on get replacement belts too. I got one once where as soon as I turned it on and put in a disc I heard it grind as it spun and the video went out as that was happening. If I ever get one again that will be the first thing to take care of. You should be able to find those online. I have. But after that my interest in this system faded. Also because for games you can't have it rgb modded, only for movies