So, FRANCE.

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
A few days ago, I marked my first month living in the French countryside. My school's been arranging all sorts of trips so we can experience the culture outside of the usual staples like Paris (though we did spend a couple of days there). And so far? It's been one hell of an experience.

Stuff I've discovered:

-The import beer we get in the states is a lot tastier here. Kronenberg is drinkable, and Heineken is delicious. Right now I'm having a Warsteiner and I have a giant can of Pelforth Blonde in the fridge. On top of that France is starting to get more into artisanal brewing .

-They really like their 90s pop hits. I've heard gems like this on the radio:

-I've seen only a small handful of American imports, like cookies or chips. And they're stupid expensive.

-For me, the language barrier isn't too bad. We have a lot of English tourists in my area, so I don't have too much trouble communicating. But they really do appreciate me trying to speak French.

-They have a very strange view of Texas and Mexico. One server at a Parisian restaurant associated us with George W. Bush, and they view Mexico as ultra-spicy food (okay in my case that's not too far off).

-The food is amazing, including the pre-made stuff you find in the supermarket. Only drawback is the variety in terms of ethnic cuisine. It's not a real issue in cities like Paris, but out here it's a little more difficult save for the occasional pizza joint.

All in all, I'd love to come back and spend more time in Paris, namely the art museums and food. The people are interesting, and I mean that in the best way possible.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Most of my international travels involve a lot of questions that sound like we are all Texas. They all think we have guns and love Jesus.
A lot of my answers to random questions were, "No, that's only in Texas".

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Why aren't you roaming the countryside taking out bootleggers T-800 style?

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
Most of my international travels involve a lot of questions that sound like we are all Texas. They all think we have guns and love Jesus.

Whenever I tell them I'm from California they start talking about Hollywood and asking if I know any actors

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet

Wait, you don't have guns AND love Jesus? :D but all joking aside, I end up going through France every time I'm in Europe. Compared to my normal stops of Amsterdam and Italy, France by far is the worst. I think my problems stems from I'm just to American and they all know it! I will say this about France, it's rather interesting having a flight attendant that is obviously of Asian descent speaking French while trying to explain how to buckle your lap belt. Other then that the French don't like me, and honestly I don't care much for them. And to squash one stereo type I get asked. No I never see French women that don't shave. That shits for hippies in america

Ancient Flounder

"Just walk away. Give me the pump...the oil...the
15 Year Member
The real question is: have you called anyone a 'cheese-eating surrender monkey' yet? And have you found Polnareff?

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
I did get mad at one person and asked them if they knew the famous French saying.... That didn't end well

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member

Adderall

Leona's Therapist
My brother has lived in Besançon for about 6 years now. We have to ship him bottles of ranch.

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
Haha, I thought the same thing about the Kronenberg 1664 stuff. I had tried it a couple times stateside and was just another sub-par stanky euro beer. Locally, it's actually quite good.

I'm not sure where you're located but we really enjoyed a full day trip drive out to Normandy (from Paris). It's about a 2 and a half hour drive each way but there are stops and good scenery on the way. Was extremely surreal to check out the WW2 beach landing sites like Omaha. The US Memorial there was a good (albeit an emotional 1-time experience as well.

I won't lie, I almost didn't check this thread out based on title alone but it sounds like you're having a good time. Even if you don't check Normandy out, just rent a car and get lost driving somewhere. That's usually my mantra when traveling abroad. ;)

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Haha, I thought the same thing about the Kronenberg 1664 stuff. I had tried it a couple times stateside and was just another sub-par stanky euro beer. Locally, it's actually quite good.

I really like Kronenberg but I've only ever had it on draught. Not seen it in the States.

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
Is this just a long ass vacation, or are you actually doing something out there?

I'm working in a kitchen as part of my culinary training. They get free student labor and I gain experience. My school also arranged outings so we could check out the local culture outside of the usual staples.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Sounds like a good deal. Enjoy your time over there. I majored in French in college, but I've never been over there. Bonne chance avec votre internat!

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I like France. Really cool you get to go there as part of your training. I'm sure you already did, but if you haven't: Try some Cidre, Pastis, Soufflé.
What are the local delicacies where you are located right now? Label Rouge, Jambon de Vendée?

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Where is this "countryside" that you speak of? I'd like to check it out. I went to Paris last month and I felt like I was in China. The place was overrun with rats.. err.. Chinese tourists.

Last edited:

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
Where is this "countryside" that you speak of? I'd like to check it out. I went to Paris last month and I felt like I was in China. The place was overrun with rats.. err.. Chinese tourists.

I noticed this too! all over Venice were large groups of Asian people! They even found it funny to let the pigeons land on them in st marks square! When taking the city hopper from Venice to Paris, half the plain was filled with Asians wearing face masks!

Ancient Flounder

"Just walk away. Give me the pump...the oil...the
15 Year Member

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
What's with those masks anyway?

They don't want their faces to tan. Asians have different standards of beauty from westerners. Maybe no room in their luggage for a parasol, who knows.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
They don't want their faces to tan. Asians have different standards of beauty from westerners. Maybe no room in their luggage for a parasol, who knows.

I always thought it was because they're all infected with TB.

OT, sounds like you're having a great time over there, Domino! Thanks for sharing.

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member

Pays de la Loire, in S/SW France.