So I got a Red Tent, Pic Heavy

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
It's a bit beat up. It was nice and cheap though, $150 off of Craigslist. Trying to pick up a few games now, and start on restoring this a bit. I've not really done any restoration work, so feel free to chime in with advice etc. My first mission is to get the control panel off, (screws are stuck), hopefully some WD40 will do the trick.

Then I'm considering pulling as much of it apart as I can and having it powdercoated.

Anyways on to the pics
DSCN0743.jpg

DSCN0742.jpg

DSCN0740.jpg

DSCN0739.jpg

DSCN0737.jpg

DSCN0736.jpg

DSCN0735.jpg

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Congrats on the cab!

What I've learned thus far about cab restoration is step #1 get it clean. Sometimes you over estimate whats needed when you're looking at a mess. Also, make yourself a list. Its alot easier to prioritize and get somethings grouped together. You can tackle like projects together which helps on cost and you don't get yourself in a spot to where you've spent a lot of money on restoring one or two things but yet you are very far away from being done.

If its not working, get it working first and foremost. Get some enjoyment out of it and then work your way though the new list you've made.

Testocules

Fio's Quartermaster
Congrats on the cab!

What I've learned thus far about cab restoration is step #1 get it clean. Sometimes you over estimate whats needed when you're looking at a mess. Also, make yourself a list. Its alot easier to prioritize and get somethings grouped together. You can tackle like projects together which helps on cost and you don't get yourself in a spot to where you've spent a lot of money on restoring one or two things but yet you are very far away from being done.

If its not working, get it working first and foremost. Get some enjoyment out of it and then work your way though the new list you've made.

I'm going to agree with the advice of getting it working and getting it cleaned up as a good place to start. If you start into a big restore job it can be some substantial time before the machine is playable again. In the meantime, you can end up forgetting why you started and second guess if all the effort is worth while. By spending some time enjoying the game up front, it helps me stay focused. A while back I built a Neo Geo controller from a Australian Saturn pad so that I could play on my 4 slot Neo cab while the restore job was going on.

When doing the restore, mark anything you take off with names that will mean something later when you come back to it. I usually put parts into ziplock bags and mark them with a sharpie.

About powder coating: First off, its awesome! :buttrock: But it is also harder to prep for. If you plan to powder coat, you are going to have to truly straighten the metal not patch it with putty or bondo. I noticed some dents on your cab and those are going to have to be straightened out. Also, Because the powder is cooked on, anything that can not handle the heat is destroyed. That includes any solvent based paint already on it. Paint must be removed down to the bare metal - it will curl and destroy the powder coating. (This actually happened to me one once)

Good luck, if you have any questions, here are several members that will be happy to offer advice once you get started.

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
It's fully working, and I've already spent a chunk on games ;) I now have VS Super Mario Bros, VS Gradius, VS Castlevania, & VS Goonies. And the VS Baseball that came in it when I got it.

Any good advice on getting those dents out? Or is it simply take a hammer to it? I've got some more buttons coming, and the sticks cleaned up very well. An awesome guy cut some plexi for me as well and that should be here tomorrow most likely so I can put the flyers where they go (next to monitor). I've got a handful of carriage bolts to replace missing ones as well. So I'm feeling pretty good about the whole thing so far. Hopefully the buttons come in next week, and then everything is fully operational.

Need to drill out the coin door locks though, and my drill isn't man enough. Then I'm going to at least get some quotes on the powder coating. Even with the dents (if I can't get em out) I think it would do wonders for this thing :)

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Congrats. It looks to be in not too bad a shape, really.

I have one of these in the basement that I got at an arcade auction a few years back. It was converted into an MVS cab of all things :oh_no:

I'm waiting until I get settled into a new place and then I'll start clean up on it. Not to sound blasphemous, but since almost nothing on it is salvageable, it may end up a MAME cab (monitors are fucked, CP is destroyed turning it into MVS, etc.).

Last edited:

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
Congrats. It looks to be in not too bad a shape, really.

I have one of these in the basement that I got at an arcade auction a few years back. It was converted into an MVS cab of all things :oh_no:

I'm waiting until I get settled into a new place and then I'll start clean up on it. Not to sound blasphemous, but since almost nothing on it is salvageable, it may end up a MAME cab (monitors are fucked, CP is destroyed turning it into MVS, etc.).

Seriously a MVS cab? That's insane. I kind of want to see pictures.

I would love you forever if you wanted to sell me that access door panel thing I'm missing. You can see where it's missing in pic 5 I believe. Seriously, forever.

Adderall

Leona's Therapist
........If you plan to powder coat, you are going to have to truly straighten the metal not patch it with putty or bondo.....

I'm also interested to hear any tips for removing dents.

Also, is there a better way to get the previous paint off besides sand, sand, sand? I have one of those mousey lookin sanders but it's kind of a piece of crap.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
I don't appear to have the same exact model you do; there is no access panel. If there's anything else you'd like from this, and I don't want it, you can have it for the price of shipping.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

noCLip

Camel Slug
congrats on the red tent! I love mine, but mine has a playchoice 10 conversion on it and the other side is vs. with excite bike but the monitor crapped out on me.

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
I'm pretty impressed with that conversion to MVS. A travesty, but impressive they were able to pull it off that well. I assume it's a 1-slot as I don't know if you could fit anything else in there.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Rise from your grave! Bit of a necro-bump, I know, but I was curious if this ever finished getting restored. Saw a picture in another thread of a different member's red tent, and it made me think of this thread.

As for my red tent, I haven't done anything with it since moving. I need to get off my lazy ass.

PS - It had the MV1 crammed in it. The board didn't work.

thieslo

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
Hehe I didn't realize this was a necro bump besides all of his picture links were broken.

I have owned two of these guys and sold both (one to a member on here). They are nice and actually the only machine my wife still mentions that she wishes I hadn't sold (but I have no space!). These guys are pretty awesome if you have the room. I love the Vs. games. I was actually surprised at how fast I was able to sell all of my Vs. items, although I know I had the prices a bit on the low side, but I am pleased overall.