So my company has a few iPads

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
And I've been spending some time with them lately, and I must say, they're even less impressive than I thought they would be.

We also switched from Blackberrys to iPhones recently, and I don't even see the business utility for iPads outside of a lighter travel accessory for short trips where you don't need the full functionality of a laptop.

My iPhone does exactly the same things the iPad does, albeit on a smaller screen, but small compromise to not drop an extra $800 bucks on a novelty device. I like the iPad for marketing purposes as a conversation piece at trade shows, conferences and the like, but the newness and novelty of that will wear off soon enough.

In a home environment I could maybe see a few relevant uses for the iPad, but not enough to buy one at retail price.

Here's what I could see it for at home.

• * Good for kids b/c they can sit on the couch and use it in a community area where you don't have to worry about them, it's easy for videos and such for kids too (lol no Flash though)

* A home automation controller to replace my Harmony 1000 or whatever other control solutions you're currently using, though the iPad is far bulkier and you have to have one with an IR port (read, expensive models)

* A digital picture frame, at least when it's docked, but that's a pricey frame

In a business environment I find it to be pretty pointless outside of the previously mentioned short business trips.

It's horrible for word processing, or even web surfing if you plan to type more than 50 words in an hour.

It can't even be used for easy data transfer.

You have to add a stand and keyboard to make it usable in most environments (why not just have a laptop?).

It doesn't support near the software a desktop or laptop does, and it can't make phone calls like the iPhone, it's not expandable in any way whatsoever...

I mean, really, I wasn't very intrigued by the iPad before it launched, and now all of my doubts have been confirmed.

Keep in mind I'm a long-time Mac user too, and I own 5 iPods and 2 iPhones...so I'm not just another Apple hater (though they are a shitty company), but this product is horribly non-utilitarian at this point in its lifecycle :oh_no:

Anyone else had time to spend with an iPad since our last thread? Any uses for it I'm missing?

Hikaru Ichijyo

Thundercock,
I was playing with one the other day in Best Buy. I thought to myself how it felt like a supersized version of the iPod Touch. Of course the legion of Apple Zombies will eat my brain out saying what it's all capable of but in the short time I messed with it, that's the impression I was left with. They're certainly neat, but I don't see how some sites are saying it'll be the cause of death for laptops and netbooks.

In regards to the iPod Touch, do you own an one Qube? I've been jonesing for some sort of all-in-one device to carry around with me. The Zune doesn't really offer what I want/need outside of HD radio and I'm trying to avoid having to get a smartphone. I'll drop you a PM with a few questions I have that you might know even if you don't have a Touch. ;)

dullbuoy

Leon Ther,
i don't think the ipad was ever marketed or meant to be used as a business machine. that wouldn't be any different than say a company that decided to only use netbooks as their primary office computers. it's not what those things are meant for.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Sounds like a PSP with a DS touch screen...

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Seems that Apple went a few steps too far with their "we're just slapping Apple look & feel on old concepts" thing.

Tablet PCs are old news and the concept has been fleshed out almost to the max a few years ago already, who needs another one of those with even less functions? Well... guess those who already bought an iPhone and iPod...

fmdof

Morden's Lackey
Seems that Apple went a few steps too far with their "we're just slapping Apple look & feel on old concepts" thing.

and all the hipsters that crowd every apple store just ate that shit up too.

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
A coworker got an iPad a couple of weeks ago. It was cool at first. But know I'm like...so what can you really do with it? He has a dock and keyboard spread all over his already busy crowded desk.

Meh...it's just a glorified shiny tablet with less functionality. Meh....

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Its a good ebook reader, isnt it?

No. The iBooks that apple sells are horribly formatted and are no better than just reading a PDF on your computer screen.

Its a good comic book reader though since eBook readers arent in color yet. The magazines on it are very nice too.

I'd like an iPad, but mostly as a kitchen computer for radio/video and recipes. The netflix functionality is something I wish they would port over to the iPod Touch, but whatever.

EDIT:

Oh, almost forgot. It's going to be a great device for board games. Scrabble is on it and Carcassonne is coming out soon.

Last edited:

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I bought a 32gig iPad (a gift to my wife, but I use it a lot). I think it is a good tablet, provided that you are not using it for content creation (or serious work).

We use it mostly to stream movies from home server, internet browsing, ebook (download epubs hehe). It is so nice to just hold a pad and surf in bed. I agree that it is a bit expensive, but I enjoy using it at home. In fact, I much rather use it for checking emails, surfing boards, etc than a laptop/computer.

And I am not an Apple fan(boy), this is actually my first Apple product. I will never buy an iPhone/iMac/iPod.

aria

Former Moderator
I am still convinced this was meant to be an e-reader and not a tablet PC --rather it was something simple that got bloated into something ridiculous.

Still, newspaper, magazine and comic companies sound bullish about it --but that goes back to the whole e-reader thing.

Force

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
20 Year Member
i'll say it again and again. I want to like the ipad. I really do. Apple putting thier locked down and crippled os on it really pisses me off though. Waiting for a good android tablet to hit.

In fact i hope that tegra 2 demo tablet makes production.

Last edited:

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
My wife played with my sister-in-law's iPad and that was exactly what she said - very limited feeling. She actually said it felt like a tablet for senior citizens with the giant icons and all.

I laughed at that one.

And yes, it looks like they did just blow up everything iPhone for it. But hopefully this will get the tablets, which I don't think we've seen the full measure of yet, get the shot in the arm it needed. Interested to see what Asus has planned for the EEE line this month.

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
Well I want one, for the simple fact that you can highlight and compile the material to a word processor. You can also annotate which is nice. But adding your own notes on their keypad looks daunting, which I dont like one bit.

But thats the only reason though.

I agree with whoever dick jones is, I think it also was designed as an e reader. (I dont know who anybody is with the name changes anymore)

On a side note.

I would like the multitask function.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Which it will have when OS4 comes out later this year.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
we're using them as pdf readers instead of shipping printed manuals with our new equipment.

you'd be surprised how many scientists will make a decision on which $500k machine to buy if it comes with an ipad....

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
No. The iBooks that apple sells are horribly formatted and are no better than just reading a PDF on your computer screen.

Its a good comic book reader though since eBook readers arent in color yet. The magazines on it are very nice too.

I'd like an iPad, but mostly as a kitchen computer for radio/video and recipes. The netflix functionality is something I wish they would port over to the iPod Touch, but whatever.

EDIT:

Oh, almost forgot. It's going to be a great device for board games. Scrabble is on it and Carcassonne is coming out soon.

I'd get one if more board game companies hopped on.

I was wondering how the magazine functionality was. I saw Popular Science had a digital copy of their magazine compatible with the ipad.

Too bad the ebook functionality isn't up too snuff.

Marek

Banned
Apple putting thier locked down and crippled os on it really pisses me off though.

Since nobody directly responded the first time I'll put it out there again - is it unreasonable to think that someone will get a decent OS running on it that actually maximizes its functionality as opposed to horribly limiting it?

Or is it a 'might as well wait for the droidpad' scenario?

NeoSneth said:
you'd be surprised how many scientists will make a decision on which $500k machine to buy if it comes with an ipad....

I'd be surprised like I'd be surprised knowing how many doctors make a decision on which prescription to write a half million dollars worth of based on which rep buys them dinner at Ruth's Chris, tickets to the Yankees, nice strip club, really nice box of pens, etc. ...which is to say, not surprised in the least.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I read that first post and assumed this thread was meant to bait BoriquaSNK.

Force

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
20 Year Member
I read that first post and assumed this thread was meant to bait BoriquaSNK.

I'm honestly surprised he hasn't come into this thread guns blazing and telling us we're all stupid for nit seeing the genius that is apple.

aria

Former Moderator
I'd be surprised like I'd be surprised knowing how many doctors make a decision on which prescription to write a half million dollars worth of based on which rep buys them dinner at Ruth's Chris, tickets to the Yankees, nice strip club, really nice box of pens, etc. ...which is to say, not surprised in the least.

Speaking of which, people I know in that industry rate Mastro's over Ruth Chris when the option is available :emb: