So my daughter's bus got delayed for 2 hours because of a toy gun...

Decepticreep

Street Hoop Star
Yeah... I was pretty pissed off at that. The kid who brought the toy gun is a little shit and his dad is a big shit.

I called the school yesterday and the principal didn't give me much info. Said that the kids were safe and that's all. My daughter's 10 year old friend texted my wife to give her the skinny.

My daughter was really freaked out at the cops and by the time she finally gotten to her stop, she was bright red because her bus didn't have AC. No AC on a bus in the summer in Phoenix...

I understand it was outside the control of her school, but I sent an email to her principal explaining that the parents deserve to be informed on what happen after fact. Kicker is, there was another school in the Valley that had another kid bring a real gun and bullets yesterday.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
You can thank Zero Tolerance laws for that.
Sorry you had to go through that.

gun-cloud.jpg

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I know right. Clearly, they should just ignore toy guns.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
Yeah... I was pretty pissed off at that. The kid who brought the toy gun is a little shit and his dad is a big shit.

I called the school yesterday and the principal didn't give me much info. Said that the kids were safe and that's all. My daughter's 10 year old friend texted my wife to give her the skinny.

My daughter was really freaked out at the cops and by the time she finally gotten to her stop, she was bright red because her bus didn't have AC. No AC on a bus in the summer in Phoenix...

I understand it was outside the control of her school, but I sent an email to her principal explaining that the parents deserve to be informed on what happen after fact. Kicker is, there was another school in the Valley that had another kid bring a real gun and bullets yesterday.

2 schools actually. Heard it this morning on the radio. Sucks your kid had to deal with that

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
I know right. Clearly, they should just ignore toy guns.

Provided they're not airsoft or pellet guns that could actually do anything, and don't resemble a real firearm, they really should ignore them.
Pretty sure that Glock isn't making a transparent blue 9mm model.
I don't think having a nerf foam gun or super soaker with you is worth that much attention.

Decepticreep

Street Hoop Star
Provided they're not airsoft or pellet guns that could actually do anything, and don't resemble a real firearm, they really should ignore them.
Pretty sure that Glock isn't making a transparent blue 9mm model.
I don't think having a nerf foam gun or super soaker with you is worth that much attention.

Well, all the info I got was from a 10 year old kid. The school still has yet to respond. I don't know what the gun looked like or anything.

Phoenix has had some issues lately with guns in school. The 2 mentioned above as well as a girl killing her friend and herself a few months back at school, so there's definite reasons for the zero tolerance policy.

I am just pissed at the school's lack of response.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Sometimes I'll bring in toy guns to school and let students play with them.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
There's a bomb on a bus...WHAT DO YOU DO???

Tjanko04

Mr. Big's Thug
There's a bomb on a bus...WHAT DO YOU DO???

You just open your lunchbox, take a few pulls off your mom's vodka that you poured into your Sunny D bottle, light up one of your dad's smokes and wait for it all to sort itself. 3rd grade isn't so bad if you don't let it get to you.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
That sucks, and I can only imagine the anxiety a lot of the parents involved, including your wife and yourself, felt, but just be thankful that it really was a false alarm--things could have been much worse had the gun been real.

When I was in school, nobody ever brought a gun, but, in seventh grade metal shop, some dumbass brought a bullet for a hunting rifle into class, put it inside one of the vises, and then compressed it in said device until it went off from the pressure. The bullet flew up at the ceiling, ricocheted off that, and embedded itself in the floor next to the shop teacher's desk. He was damn lucky nobody got hit. I seem to recall that he only got suspended for a week or two (in today's world, he almost certainly would have been permanently expelled).

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
You just open your lunchbox, take a few pulls off your mom's vodka that you poured into your Sunny D bottle, light up one of your dad's smokes and wait for it all to sort itself. 3rd grade isn't so bad if you don't let it get to you.

:keke:

Keepin it real on the bus.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member

That's the spirit.

Decepticreep

Street Hoop Star
So new details:

Apparently the bus driver established that the gun was a toy, but it is the policy of the school district to have the bus driver call the police when any "gun" is brought to school or the bus. This is where we throw common sense to the wind in favor of fear of repercussions.

The bus driver was obligated to call, because he needs a job so he does what he's told. Had he not, how many parents would've flip their lids and gotten the driver fired?

I'm not pissed at the toy, I'm pissed about being kept in the dark and having my kid stuck on a non-air conditioned bus in Arizona for 2 hours during the summer.

Tjanko04

Mr. Big's Thug
That sucks, and I can only imagine the anxiety a lot of the parents involved, including your wife and yourself, felt, but just be thankful that it really was a false alarm--things could have been much worse had the gun been real.

When I was in school, nobody ever brought a gun, but, in seventh grade metal shop, some dumbass brought a bullet for a hunting rifle into class, put it inside one of the vises, and then compressed it in said device until it went off from the pressure. The bullet flew up at the ceiling, ricocheted off that, and embedded itself in the floor next to the shop teacher's desk. He was damn lucky nobody got hit. I seem to recall that he only got suspended for a week or two (in today's world, he almost certainly would have been permanently expelled).

Ha! You think that's bad? I got one for you. I was overseas and one of the Aircraft Structures guys that we shared a shop with (I'm machine/welding shop) found a .50 cal round on the road on base that must have just fell off a Hmmv. He was from spangdahlem Germany. Maybe about 30. A grown man. NCO.

So me and a couple guys see him over by a vice with a hammer and we're like, "hey, whatcha got there?". Then we see what he had and flipped the fuck out on him. Dude was kind of a stupid prick, but who wants clean up that mess?

Tjanko04

Mr. Big's Thug
So new details:

Apparently the bus driver established that the gun was a toy, but it is the policy of the school district to have the bus driver call the police when any "gun" is brought to school or the bus. This is where we throw common sense to the wind in favor of fear of repercussions.

The bus driver was obligated to call, because he needs a job so he does what he's told. Had he not, how many parents would've flip their lids and gotten the driver fired?

I'm not pissed at the toy, I'm pissed about being kept in the dark and having my kid stuck on a non-air conditioned bus in Arizona for 2 hours during the summer.

Fuck that. I'd be fucking fuming too if that happened to My kids. So let's make stupid decisions based on anti-gun ideology because it's required in academia and put other people's children in physical harm in the process. Jesus Christ already.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Wow...you know, hope none of those kids are transformers collectors, first one that brings in shockwave or megatron is going to have swat all over them.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Sadly, due to concern over guns, Megatron and Shockwave very seldom have gun alt modes anymore, so, unless the kid got a vintage one, that's probably not going to happen. Megatron and Shockwave usually turn into tanks or jets/spaceships these days. To the best of my knowledge the last "real" Megatron that turned into a Walther P38 was the expensive Japanese Masterpiece one.

@Tjanko04: Damn, I can see a child doing stupid shit like that, but a 30-year-old man really ought to know better. That dude must have watched too much Jackass or something.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
You're correct on both parts more or less, as a I think both have their gun modes on the masterpiece things. Shockwave didn't for a long time because supposedly the mold went missing, they either found it or made another as you can get a correct space gun version of him and not just the solid robot. And you're right he does turn into the Walther P38. I have both of them complete part of my about 70 G1 piece collection ranging from big stuff like Jetfire, Sixshot, and Prime down to some micromasters.

Decepticreep

Street Hoop Star
You're correct on both parts more or less, as a I think both have their gun modes on the masterpiece things. Shockwave didn't for a long time because supposedly the mold went missing, they either found it or made another as you can get a correct space gun version of him and not just the solid robot. And you're right he does turn into the Walther P38. I have both of them complete part of my about 70 G1 piece collection ranging from big stuff like Jetfire, Sixshot, and Prime down to some micromasters.

I used to have the Japanese one that shot plastic bullets.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I really trust a bus driver to decide if something is a toy.

I guess we know what a toy gun looks like for now. But those 3d Printed zip guns look like something you'd buy at the dollars store.

Last edited:

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I used to have the Japanese one that shot plastic bullets.
Now that sounds fun. I've got a Shogun Warrior toy like that where the head is a pointy missile top that flies off pretty hard, as do both the fists. Dangard 5" one from around 1977, also have Poseidon of the same size but the little missiles are missing. :(

You can see what I got if you care here as I snap pics of every one I pick up in all modes as it's a helpful reminder.
http://s232.photobucket.com/user/tanooki-suit/library/Tanookis Finds/Transformers?sort=9&page=1