So the Wii U........What exactly is Nintendo playing at?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
It's a Wii with an HDMI port. That alone is worth $200

I'm not sure I'd go that far, but the Wii really did look like shit on my HDTV through component with or without my Framemeister and regular Wii content looks 100% better through the U in HDMI even though it doesn't upscale. This probably has more to do with my TV than the Wii itself, but whatever.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I'm not sure I'd go that far, but the Wii really did look like shit on my HDTV through component with or without my Framemeister and regular Wii content looks 100% better through the U in HDMI even though it doesn't upscale. This probably has more to do with my TV than the Wii itself, but whatever.

Yeah blame the tv... not nintendo for cutting down costs in terms of graphics.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yes, shame on Nintendo for not anticipating my 2013 Plasma TV/XRGB Framemeister setup in 2006.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Yes, shame on Nintendo for not anticipating my 2013 Plasma TV/XRGB Framemeister setup in 2006.

If nintendo didn't bullshit around in 2006 you wouldn't need any setup to get decent graphics on your plasma directly from the console. Did we realy had to wait to 2013 to get a decent graphics console from nintendo?.. they will go down just like Nokia did... once the best - now barely existing.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Funny, the thing looked really great on the TV I had in 2006.

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
Anyone know if the US is getting any holiday bundles?

I know they just put out the New Mario and Wind Waker ones, but I was hoping we'd get something like the Mario 3D World one the UK is getting.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
in another one the kid imitating the mother says ''but we already have a wii'' to which another child responds ''but wiiu is a complete upgrade''
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/11/wii-u-holiday-commercial-is-not-helping-the-wii-u/

so yeah that shouldn't help clear anything up, what are they hoping people buy the wiiu thinking its just an add-on or what?

'' Man, WTF are Nintendo playing at '' -addendum: the unclear naming had been brought up before here and the thought that it should be clear that its something more than an upgrade had been very expressed as well. I suppose you are in agreement with my and others opinion that their new advertising scheme calling it an upgrade isn't exactly the best they could have done?

Last edited:

Boredom

Morden's Lackey
Actually, one of the biggest problems the U has had is that the clueless Walmart cattle think they don't want it because it's just a tablet accessory for the Wii.

They really should have not used the Wii name at all, or at least have written the logo in a distinctly different font.

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
Actually, one of the biggest problems the U has had is that the clueless Walmart cattle think they don't want it because it's just a tablet accessory for the Wii.

They really should have not used the Wii name at all, or at least have written the logo in a distinctly different font.

So, by your logic the Xbox One should confuse people as well right?

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
So, by your logic the Xbox One should confuse people as well right?

MS didn't go naming every first party game & accessory the way Nintendo did with the Wii...

Wii Fit
Wii Music
Wii Party
Wii Play
Wii Sports
Wii Sports Resort
Wii Motion Plus

When you keep delivering a steady stream of content using the systems name like that, it's not hard to see the confusion. And I've witnessed it at least 3 times in stores where parents actually asked the store associate "So is it a new controller or something?" to which they learn it's a $300-$350 system (depending on when it was). The response elicited each time... "Oh" *walks away to continue shopping*

Boredom

Morden's Lackey
MS has also done a much better job of marketing the Bone overall and distinguishing it as a separate platform from the 360.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
So I picked up a WiiU this weekend, the mario & luigi bundle (mario U and Luigi U packed in) as well as ZombiiU all for under $300.
I'm pretty impressed actually, and I know this will be a first party only type machine but there are some good games.

Mario and Luigi U - These are obviously as solid of a platformer you can find, the only downside to the game is the music, but it's very very good, fun to play.

Zombii U - Gritty and dark, the game is punishing if you try and play like stallone and take on everything. It's unique in that once you die, your character dies, and the next player you control has to recover the items the previous character had on them. Of course they have turned and you will have to kill them. Full of gore and violence, but upgrades for weapons, hammers for barring up doors, and great use of the wiiu controller, this game was a steal for $15

Demos/Wonderful 101 - I just got finished playing the demo for 101 and I will be buying this for sure. If you havent checked this out, make sure you do. I cant' remember the last time I had so much fun on a console, it's addicting.

Future purchases/ Mario 3D world - This is a no brainer, I've played the 3DS iteration and it was one of the best mario games I've ever played, will def be picking this up along with Wonderful 101

So yeah, I know there will be some time before another zelda or metroid drop on here, but it really does have some good stuff right now, and the price was right. If you're on the fence about the system, it really is a nice piece of kit and I'm glad to finally have it.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
So I picked up a WiiU this weekend, the mario & luigi bundle (mario U and Luigi U packed in) as well as ZombiiU all for under $300.
I'm pretty impressed actually, and I know this will be a first party only type machine but there are some good games.

Mario and Luigi U - These are obviously as solid of a platformer you can find, the only downside to the game is the music, but it's very very good, fun to play.

Zombii U - Gritty and dark, the game is punishing if you try and play like stallone and take on everything. It's unique in that once you die, your character dies, and the next player you control has to recover the items the previous character had on them. Of course they have turned and you will have to kill them. Full of gore and violence, but upgrades for weapons, hammers for barring up doors, and great use of the wiiu controller, this game was a steal for $15

Demos/Wonderful 101 - I just got finished playing the demo for 101 and I will be buying this for sure. If you havent checked this out, make sure you do. I cant' remember the last time I had so much fun on a console, it's addicting.

Future purchases/ Mario 3D world - This is a no brainer, I've played the 3DS iteration and it was one of the best mario games I've ever played, will def be picking this up along with Wonderful 101

So yeah, I know there will be some time before another zelda or metroid drop on here, but it really does have some good stuff right now, and the price was right. If you're on the fence about the system, it really is a nice piece of kit and I'm glad to finally have it.

Good to hear. Do you plan on getting Wind Waker HD? I was hoping to find the Zelda bundle for $250 somewhere but no luck yet.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
At some point yeah, but I've already played WW through a few times on GC so no rush there, but for anyone who hasn't played it this would be a great time to pick it up.

Good to hear. Do you plan on getting Wind Waker HD? I was hoping to find the Zelda bundle for $250 somewhere but no luck yet.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I still play ZombiU...and it was a launch title.

It's funny how one of the main complaints with WiiU was a steady release of games. I think they've done a great job getting exclusive next gen games to the console.

You look at the PS4 upcoming release schedule, and there's nothing interesting that isn't an existing PC game until DriveClub. Most of them are indie games at that. Hardly the need for a new console to play Mercenary Kings and War Thunder.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...-speculation&p=3629293&viewfull=1#post3629293

jamie666

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Good to hear some positives from people. It is a great system once you get into it. Feel free to add me my Nintendo Network ID is:JamieJC666. Always looking for more Neo members to add to the mix online!

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
There are some nice touches...

Like the user submitted drawings and shit that appear mid game... I'm sure that the other consoles will copy that in some form.

Boredom

Morden's Lackey
There are some nice touches...

Like the user submitted drawings and shit that appear mid game... I'm sure that the other consoles will copy that in some form.
Problem with Miiverse is that the censorship is at a kindergarten level. They certainly haven't done anything to fight their reputation as a kiddie console maker.

Anyone played the Wii U version of Tekken Tag 2? It has a volleyball mode, Mario Bros. mushroom mode, and lets you draw dick tattoos on everyone with the tablet.

Last edited:

jonnyturbo

New Challenger
Problem with Miiverse is that the censorship is at a kindergarten level. They certainly haven't done anything to fight their reputation as a kiddie console maker.

Anyone played the Wii U version of Tekken Tag 2? It has a volleyball mode, Mario Bros. mushroom mode, and lets you draw dick tattoos on everyone with the tablet.

Is Tekken Tag 2 worth getting? I can pick it up cheap and didn't bother.

Also Mario 3D World is da shiz imo. It looks f'in awesome and is the best 3D Mario since 64. Worth picking up.
Honestly I think that the WiiU has got the games now and the few games upcoming in 2014 are looking good.
Quality over quantity (the Nintendo way)
I actually cancelled my PS4 preorder because of lack of interesting games.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I have Tekken Tag 2 on the way, so we'll see. If it's just Tekken 6 with tagging (much like the original TTT was Tekken 3 with tag) I'll be happy.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
To be honest I was kinda pissed when I saw the New SMB and Super Luigi U pack at Target last night, all I got was Nintendoland when the system launched. Sucked they didn't do an early adopter program like the 3DS did. I think Nintendo's way out of that was the 30 cent game promotion they had a few months. Since I'm a Disney fan I had wanted to get into Infinity, I heard the Wii-U version uses the GamePad as well as the Wii-Mote, to edit the environment around in.

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
Finally picking up Wonderful 101 and New Super Mario 3D World for Xmas, they looked like the best titles out there for new games to be had on the Wii U. Seems to have plenty of recommendations in the thread to boot.

On another Wii U note, I'm really getting sick of every Nintendo business article saying they should put their 1st party games on mobile devices to make more money. They want to be console makers with their own environment (which needs to be improved but that's another matter), so why give up their leverage and largest consumer benefit. Journalist (should) know what they are trying to do as a business, they need to stop being ignorant of it.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Finally picking up Wonderful 101 and New Super Mario 3D World for Xmas, they looked like the best titles out there for new games to be had on the Wii U. Seems to have plenty of recommendations in the thread to boot.

On another Wii U note, I'm really getting sick of every Nintendo business article saying they should put their 1st party games on mobile devices to make more money. They want to be console makers with their own environment (which needs to be improved but that's another matter), so why give up their leverage and largest consumer benefit. Journalist (should) know what they are trying to do as a business, they need to stop being ignorant of it.

That would be commercial suicide. Nintendo business articles tend to annoy me as well so I stopped reading 'em.