So,whutcha think of KOF:Maximum Impact?

jindo

Sakura's Bank Manager
The game is ok... although I can't stand fighting games in general using buttons to sidestep. Hopefully sequal would have better casts and gameplay. :spock:

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
You do know that every KOF in existance has used buttons to sidestep(in fact the same exact two buttons). They simply didn't want to alienate that standard. Whether it is rolling, sliding, or the traditional KOF94/95 sidestep, they all accomplish some sidestepping motion to go around moves.

I actually think it is a nice start. Definitely one of the better attempts to bring 2D into 3D. It also, so far, has the closest representation of the 2d fighter counterparts, in this type of hybrid genre, yet. There are some definite differences, but a lot of familiarity as well. The game is more offensive-based than the typical King of Fighters. This is due to a few extra additions, like the ability to press the offensive on prone fighters. Yeah, there are definite ways to escape a pressed-offense and punish them, but there's a higher degree of strategy and offensive pattern matching needed to make the escapes. Normally, if you get pressured, you just simply picked the wrong way to turn the offensive.

Back rolls being neutered to half distance also forces more offensive play. The big thing about this is how combos are programmed. They actually aren't button mash combos, as they require some practice to actually maintain consistancy. They also require you to be fairly precise, too. That is, you can't always fight angry unless the particular combos, you are pressuring with, are ones in which you internalized the timing for them, like instinct. In a way, one can think of them as Real Bout-style combinations, except the inputs used for them often act like those KOF command-move linker combos. The shorter simple combos are typically easy, but the good meaty ones, take practice. Special moves and supers can all be cancelled from the combos once they are started, further showing their Real Bout style origins. That's almost the entire feel of the game, once you get past the whole entire idea that it is 3D graphics. A KOF Real Bout. It even plays more at a Real Bout pace, so don't expect the quickness you've seen in stuff like KOF 2002/2003.

I'm really glad Maniax has Japanese voices, though. It's nice to hear them. Plus, I've been taking a lot of pictures with the photo feature. Some characters I like the secondary costume even better. In particular is Seth's (I'm the Professional mixed with Mr. Big) costume. Mai's secondary costume also looks pretty nifty. Athena's school outfit where she dawns blonde hair doesn't even look like Athena anymore, but more like some rich foreign student, at her school.

Superfamifreak

Ralf & Clark's Drinking Buddy
20 Year Member
I can't stand KoF:MI. Played it on my mates XBox and for some reason could never get used to it, even using Clark. It just didn't feel 'right'.

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
Mediocre 3D fighting game.

Even Bloody Roar is much more appealing.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I bought it a couple of weeks ago. I enjoyed it, played it for a couple of hours after purchasing it. There's a bunch of costumes and whatnot to unlock.

I think the voices ruin a lot of the experience, like the characters aren't the same with lame, English voice actors. Some of the modeling is very good, but most is average or poor.

Overall I think it's a good purchase for $20 or so. It's not grade A like the Neo kofs, but worth a spin.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
It's been a very fun game for me. It has grown on me since the PS2 release and I've been having a lot of fun. This game puts the Street Fighter EX series to shame (although any game would do that).

Sol_Badguy01

Mr. Big's Thug
I liked how much more "easier " rock was to command as opposed to the snk vs capcom 2 version...The vioices do suck,but the speed is whut kept me attached...Now I can't wait for kof 11!

GENOCIDE CUTTER '94

Ukyo's Doctor
Magnaflux said:
I think the voices ruin a lot of the experience, like the characters aren't the same with lame, English voice actors.

Uhm... I read in a gamespot reveiw that the xbox version has the option of selecting the original Japanese voices, is that true or what?

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I would like this game a lot more if it just had an "Arcade" mode!!! Something I could play and have a friend hit start on the 2nd controller to challenge, etc. That "story" mode is annoying as hell!

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
GENOCIDE CUTTER '94 said:
Uhm... I read in a gamespot reveiw that the xbox version has the option of selecting the original Japanese voices, is that true or what?

Yes, this is true, but he probably has the PS2 version, which only has the crappy English voices in the American release.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
This game blows. I got to sit down with it, just today in fact, and I couldn't stand it. I was excited to play it! I played it for a few minutes about three months ago in Media Play, and liked it. Well, WTF was I thinking. The quality is poor. I saw this and it made me want to play DOA. Yeah... somethign about some scenes reminded me of it. Yeah, it's that bad.

Honestly, I've loved KOF for years and years, but even I can't stand this shit. If you're going to play a 3D fighter, why waste your time with this when you could be playing VF4?

Sol_Badguy01

Mr. Big's Thug
Why are you rankin on it?? Did the game whip yer ass or sumthin? (LOL,duke can be kinda cheap)

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
I liked the idea of what KOF M.I. was supposed to be and I liked the blonde chick with the huge boobies. Beyond that I hated the game with a passion. Everything from that fight promoter guy with the Pinocchio nose to the way the game was too stiff.

GK