Soccer Brawl

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
There seems to be two main ways the CPU scores in this game, and both involve hitting the ball with your head:

1. After bouncing the ball off the goal keeper.
2. After a corner kick.

I can't for the life of me consistently hit the ball with my head. The Italian guide on gamefaqs says that the A button is jump? There are only two buttons in this game, so it's difficult to control. Is it a timing issue? I seem to be mostly spamming the A button when I think there's an opportunity to hit the ball and score, and it's not working.

What's the trick to hitting the ball in the goal at these key moments in this game?

Last edited:

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
There seems to be two main ways the CPU scores in this game, and both involve hitting the ball with your head:

1. After bouncing the ball off the goal keeper.
2. After a corner kick.

I can't for the life of me consistently hit the ball with my head. The Italian guide on gamefaqs says that the A button is jump? There are only two buttons in this game, so it's difficult to control. Is it a timing issue? I seem to be mostly spamming the A button when I think there's an opportunity to hit the ball and score, and it's not working.

What's the trick to hitting the ball in the goal at these key moments in this game?

I don’t know the answer to your questions because I don’t give a shit about Soccer Brawl but I felt bad for you and wanted to give your thread a pity post.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Great. A pity post. :cautious: Well, it's super annoying because I remember playing casually back in the day and doing okay. But now I can't seem to get anywhere on MVS difficulty. I was trying to do a review video quickly, but hit a wall with this.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Okay, never mind. I think I figured it out and I'm getting the hang of this. Not that anyone cares, but it is the timing. Press A to do the overhead kick when the ball is over the player. If it's too high it will miss, but you can instead press B to jump higher and block the ball with your body instead.

The overhead kick is very useful for scoring on corner kicks -- wait until the ball is directly above your player in front of the goal, even though the player icon isn't above the player. If you press A at the exact right time, you will usually score a goal. The CPU is also very good at doing this.

The CPU seems to cheat because the CPU seems to always have the players in a convenient position off-screen, whereas you have no control over where your off-screen players are.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
This reminds me of so many sports games…when it’s played in the arcade all day by tons of people the timing of things is more obvious, there are more eyes on the game trying to figure it out, but when you play by yourself it can take ages to get the flow.

There is a glowing review of Baseball Stars 2 on this site by a guy who admits he simply cannot hit the ball. While I don’t think a guy who can’t score a single point in a game should be reviewing it, I know the feeling. I remember how hard Neo Geo Cup ‘98 Plus (NGPC) was until I figured out the exact place to stand in…now I can destroy the computer 15-0 with any team.