Sock and shoe color etiquette?

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
At work today, one of the elderly guys was giving me shit because I had black socks on with brown shoes and insisted that I have to wear white ones. I told him I only have blacks socks; I can't keep white socks white to save my life, and that's the truth and why I only buy and wear black ones now. So, what's the Ms. Etiquette bullshit on sock colors at work? I've always considered black and dark browns/greens/blues more professional looking than white?

And har-de-har, no, I'm not going to wear pantyhose.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Seems to root back to the 1950s where the dress code was defined by catholic schools and the military.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Black shoes go with black or grey pants. Brown ones go with brown or beige pants.

Black socks go with black and brown shoes. White socks go with jeans and shorts. Black socks never go with shorts + sneakers.

@M

20 Year Member
That was his issue. I had gray khaki shorts on and a brown shirt and shoes, but the shoes weren't sneakers even though he insisted they were (they're like a hiking boot shoe hybrid). I think black goes better with brown and gray than white, but, I've also worn a Princess Jasmine (Aladdin) T-shirt to work on casual Friday, so, my fashion sense is questionable to begin with.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I maybe sent the kids to school with matching socks five times all schoolyear.

• Haha
Reactions: @M

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
So I'm wearing an all black outfit with black shoes so I put black socks on and went to a buddy's house. After a bit his wife came over and said some people were laughing at the black socks. I looked at them and said "Like I give a fuck about their opinion!" The room grew quiet, lol.

If I'm comfortable I really don't care about what anyone thinks.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I used to wear black socks to the skate park as a kid/teen, and it seemed to bother everyone for no reason lol. Like why tf do you care what color my socks are? Several people would stop me each time I was there to ask why I had on black socks. I would just respond "My white ones were dirty" and go about my business.

Reactions: Syn

@M

20 Year Member
I swear, when I did wear white socks, they'd become dingy or stained after a single wearing. Yeah, yeah, I know guys: there's such a thing as bleach, I'm not a Red Hot Chili Pepper, so, my dick doesn't need a sock on it, and stop using my socks for cum rags.

@M

20 Year Member
I was thinking about this yesterday. People having to dress up nice and proper is classist. Poor people shouldn't have to waste money on buying nice clothes.
Well, it's just a professional thing for me. Like, I've noticed that, when a person meets both me and the only other male in my department at the same time, they'll usually differ to me, despite him having seniority, because I dress and carry myself professionally, shave, etc. and he doesn't (for example, he never tucks his shirts into his pants/shorts and wears T-shirts when it's not casual Friday.) The old dude gave me shit today, but many of the other residents, and my co-workers, often compliment me on my clothes. Right or wrong, people judge you by your appearance, no matter how competent you are at your job. If you dress like you don't give a fuck, that's going to reflect negatively on a person in most occupations.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Right or wrong, people judge you by your appearance, no matter how competent you are at your job. If you dress like you don't give a fuck, that's going to reflect negatively on a person in most occupations.
true dat

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
At work today, one of the elderly guys was giving me shit because I had black socks on with brown shoes and insisted that I have to wear white ones. I told him I only have blacks socks; I can't keep white socks white to save my life, and that's the truth and why I only buy and wear black ones now. So, what's the Ms. Etiquette bullshit on sock colors at work? I've always considered black and dark browns/greens/blues more professional looking than white?

And har-de-har, no, I'm not going to wear pantyhose.
You are correct in avoiding white socks altogether. Stick with grey or black.

Of course the boomer guy is going to like the whites. Whatever these guys advise in the fashion department, just do the exact opposite.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
switch to grey socks. that's what I did. Blue pants, brown pants, jeans... grey socks.

The socks can be an extension of the pant, but I doubt you were wearing dark pants. They are not necessarily a match to the shoes. I do see the old man's point though. It would be like wearing a brown belt with black shoes.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
Last time I wore white socks was when I was working at a nursing home back in 1999/2000. Dirty white, grey or beige socks are disgusting. Even worse, if they have shitty patterns on them.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Last time I wore white socks was when I was working at a nursing home back in 1999/2000. Dirty white, grey or beige socks are disgusting. Even worse, if they have shitty patterns on them.
I have never met someone who felt so strongly about socks. I am interested in what brand you wear.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
I have never met someone who felt so strongly about socks. I am interested in what brand you wear.
It's just that white and light grey socks often end up looking dirty. Sometimes even fresh out of the washing machine, if you don't separate colours. Dirty socks can be a sign for lacking personal hygiene. Do you realize why so many older men are wearing socks in sandals? They're hiding their uncared for feet. I know for a fact that my girlfriend pays attention to such things.

Also, socks with checkered patterns were always called "Opasocken" (grandpa socks) where I grew up. I used to have a few pairs of Puma and Coca-Cola socks but realized that those logos didn't look that great and that the socks themselves weren't any better than unbranded ones. Nowadays, I usually wear black or navy socks from the "€"-store. They match pretty much all of my shoes and even the three brown pairs of shoes that I own have some black on them. The only white shoes that I own are a pair of Adidas Superstars that I've had for more than 20 years. Then again, I don't wear "Hochwasserhosen" (high-water pants)...