Solar Off Grid Homes/Living?

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
I was searching to buy a house that had some acreage to it and i came upon solar homes.

These two hit quite a bit of checkmarks for me.

Less than hour away from my current home. Has some nice potential, its also near a lake. Downside is that its 6 acres & appears to have a neighbor close by.

solar1.jpg

This one is much nicer, bigger, even an extra guest room w/kitchen/bathroom/livingroom. Has everything plus 35 acres. Only downside is that its really out of nowhere, also its in Eastern Washington. That's over 5hr drive for us. Weather is quite more harsh that side of the state. Will solar panels even work in a place like WA w/ its gloomy weather?

solar2.jpg

The thing is im not in a position to be moving anytime soon, so this would be for now just an investment.

I have never lived in a solar home, so no idea if this is even an ideal investment. Has anyone here lived in one or stayed? Would you consider renting or vacation off grid place?

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
You need to check your local laws. In some places a town will do whatever they can to stop you from being off grid. If there is an electric run to the property already, you can't just cut it off and be self sufficient. They'll want any solar excess to go back into the grid. Now if you had a property where the main residence was on the grid and had another house elsewhere on the land that was not connected, I think it is ok. But there are many stories of people trying to go off-grid using an existing on-grid property and ending up in some form of legal trouble.

Regarding the panels set up itself, you'll want a battery bank to handle off-hour power usage. If you are still on the grid, you don't need batteries, you just use grid power when the panels aren't bringing in enough. The electric bill will be near zero or have a credit most of the time. Find someone with solar in the area you are looking to ask them specifically how that works. The main issue with solar is the upfront cost for panel installation. You may be able to get some savings due to government grants but they won't pay for everything.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
If I’m not mistaken even if you are generating to the grid it’s possible to have your system setup to disconnect from the grid (perhaps manually) in the event of a grid power outage. That way you’ll still have the capacity to generate power and use electricity even if the grid goes down. Then when power is restored you go back to grid power, essentially using solar as a backup generator.

When we had the mandatory power outages in CA last year due to wildfire concerns I was dismayed by the number of people with residential solar who thought they’d still have power when PGE deenergized the lines, lol.

Last edited:

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
If I’m not mistaken even if you are generating to the grid it’s possible to have your system setup to disconnect from the grid (perhaps manually) in the event of a grid power outage. That way you’ll still have the capacity to generate power and use electricity even if the grid goes down. Then when power is restored you go back to grid power, essentially using solar as a backup generator.

When we had the mandatory power outages in CA last year due to wildfire concerns I was dismayed by the number of people with residential solar who thought they’d still have power when PGE deenergized the lines, lol.

Words of wisdom.
Batteries are currently the expensive part though, some of those Li-on batteries can cost near $1,000 each. Panels cost $80-100 each.

I live in an overcast place, I've been experimenting with a panel for almost a year now. I'm surprised that I can still make electricity during certain times. There's two different main types of panels and one of them is SUPPOSED to do better in overcast situations.

What happened I thought you were going to get a motor/mobile home for off griding?

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
The first one looks nice, and is reasonably affordable. I think it would be nice to have someone in relatively close proximity for emergencies or whatever.
I follow a couple people on house boats. There is a pretty big difference in solar power when it's overcast.

You need to be fairly handy if you are looking to live off grid. All these systems will need maintenance.

Last edited:

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
You'll still be paying property taxes. The grid will find you.

First one looks like a nice home, although $375k sounds pricy to me, that might just be WA (also, I thought you were in Massachusetts for whatever reason).

The second one looks like a place that I'd rent for a week on VRBO.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
You need to be fairly handy if you are looking to live off grid. All these systems will need maintenance.

He's got that covered - his wife is going to quit her job, so she can handle that.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Words of wisdom.
Batteries are currently the expensive part though, some of those Li-on batteries can cost near $1,000 each. Panels cost $80-100 each.

I live in an overcast place, I've been experimenting with a panel for almost a year now. I'm surprised that I can still make electricity during certain times. There's two different main types of panels and one of them is SUPPOSED to do better in overcast situations.

What happened I thought you were going to get a motor/mobile home for off griding?

I wish.

I hope to have a couple acres someday and have a yurt.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
I wish.

I hope to have a couple acres someday and have a yurt.

Oops sorry a bit of that converation was for HDR, now I don't know which part though.

But I think we were talking about zoning laws in another thread. Let's continue that conversation?

I did, I bought a motorhome a couple years ago. I'd like to buy some plots of land across the country to visit and stay at for awhile. Wait for it, so I'm looking around and I don't think I can find anything anywhere that isn't under some sort of county, city or state zoning laws.

Now most of it is good and common sense and really I'm sure in numerous places they are to busy or don't care what you do but still it's another way they could evict you and take your stuff. For example I'm finding there's almost nowhere you can live in a temporary structure 24/7 365. Most places range 3 weeks to 8 months or not at all.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I think we were talking about zoning laws.

So wait, are you saying in some jurisdictions I can’t camp for extended periods of time on my own land? WTF.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member

So wait, are you saying in some jurisdictions I can’t camp for extended periods of time on my own land? WTF.

Yes sir, in fact almost all of them.

Last edited:

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member

Yes sir, in fact almost all of them.

It's only yours for as long as the king allows it.
Well... That or for as long as you're willing to defend it...

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member

Maybe look into getting your land patent.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
The extra $600 she's getting from unemployment will easily pay for the house.

The extra $600 will only last until July.

Im not sure if going to buy this now...I really dont want any heavy maintenance and renting this out might be to obscure for rental. I was able to pay for my second home just by renting it out. Now i have constant passive income. Ideally i want to invest on a couple more, just to have that security later on.

This would be an ideal primary home though when retired, living off the grid, having livestock, & planting your food seems like a dream. I haven't really research much on solar panels. I dont know anyone that has one.

All these property rules is complete joke. Its your property you should be able to live it the way you want. Property tax in general is beyond bullshit. We already getting taxed on our jobs, extra earnings, & our general everyday consumptions. I dont like the idea that once you cant pay for the yearly property tax, the government will take it away. If you pay for something completely, it should be yours.