Some Naomi/GNet Questions

Ill6

Marked Wolf
I know that there have been a number of Naomi questions but I can't find the answers to my question so I thought I would start a new thread.

I primarily play vert shooters and just got an Astro Cab (from www.killercabs.com) to play low res jamma games. I was wondering about getting Naomi and maybe a GNet as there are good games on both but I was wondering about plugging them into my cab. I know that Naomi can output to Jamma but will the games look shit? My presumption is that they will look the same as the dreamcast conversions on a TV??

Similarly are / can GNet do low res?

Finally which of the Vert shooters play in vert mode?
I think these are played in Tate? Ikaruga, COShikigami 2, Psyvariar 2
I think these are played in Yoko? Zero Gunner, Gigawing2, Chaos Field, Trizeal

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
You can use the naomi in the JAMMA cab as long as you have an I/O, and the games will work in low-res, which is not that bad in most games.

I think your shooter list is OK except Trizeal, I think that game is vertical only.

Don't forget to check www.sega-naomi.com and its forum for more info on naomi.

Ill6

Marked Wolf
Thanks for the info. When you say they look OK do they look like their console equivelents on a TV?

I couldn't find any info over at the Naomi forums and most of the members are here anyway so I couln't be bothered joining that forum for one question.

Does anyone know about GNET?

sven666

War Room Troll
ofcourse there will be a difference in picture quality between highres and lo res :P

how the lo res compares to a normal TV i dont exactly know.. but id guess theyre about the same? lo res monitor ~ good TV picture..?

im personally dont think highres is that important.. doesnt really add to the gaming experience that much.. not as much as the sound does anyways :cool: (get a sub!)

Ill6

Marked Wolf
Clearly theres gonna be a difference but I wonder how big a difference it is when dodging bullets.

My thinking was that playing the Dreamcast Ikaruga port on my TV should be similar to playing the Naomi version on my Astro as both my TV and Cab Monitor are 50/60Hz at 15Khz. If I really want to play on a Monitor I will use my computer monitor.

My other games look much better on the arcade monitor than on the TV so if anything I hope its improved?

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Well, I can play both Naomi and DC through RGB in my TV in low-res, and I'd say they are about the same video quality. There are some naomi games that actually look better in low-res (like the 2D fighting games like CvsS), while 3D polygonal games look better in hi-res, but most of them are more than OK in low-res too.

Ill6

Marked Wolf
Thanks Amano, thats very interesting.

I suspect I will end up with a Naomi rig at some point as the prices are getting lower and lower. Do you have any regrets since taking that route?

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Well, since you have a cab I think you'll enjoy the Naomi more than I do, since I use a supergun to play it in my TV or PC monitor, which is kinda pointless owning a DC and the other consoles. It is also a complicated set-up to mount for me, I think I haven't bothered playing for like 6 months. Now I only have 3 games (traded the other 2 I had) and I renounced to get the GD drive. Overall I just keep it for collecting purposes now.
I think the naomi prices right now are low enough to take that route, so I really recommend it, as long as you keep in mind it is slightly more complicated to use than other simpler arcade boards.

RGP

Tesse's Maintainence Man
G-net is low res standard jamma, Naomi kits are coming down, but the better shooters are getting harder to find at decent prices, Shikigami 2 is good example of this it can be expensive as I think its still played in arcades in Japan?

Last edited:

Ill6

Marked Wolf
I did see the Night Raid on eBay and thats what got me thinking about gNet. I am interested in a GNet rig yeah for sure. ... I have no idea how much its worth though!