Sonic Generations

turbosage

Zero's Secretary
15 Year Member
.....its a shame really how sega has literally fucked up the sonic name, they really need to sort it out fecking bonk has more respect now then sonic

Bonk has always had more respect than sonic ;)

..at least from me.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
(the franchise wasn't that good in the first place btw.)

This x 1,000,000.....

I just don't get it. I played Sonic back when it was new and to be honest...I always found the games mediocre at best. The gameplay was uninspired, repetitive and boring at times. I felt the franchise hit a wall at Sonic CD (which was one of the better if not best Sonic titles). I've played many different Sonic titles since then and none have ever impressed me in the slightest.

Basically what I'm saying is that if they ever do return Sonic to its former glory...it will be mediocre at best because that all it ever was.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
This x 1,000,000.....

I just don't get it. I played Sonic back when it was new and to be honest...I always found the games mediocre at best. The gameplay was uninspired, repetitive and boring at times. I felt the franchise hit a wall at Sonic CD (which was one of the better if not best Sonic titles). I've played many different Sonic titles since then and none have ever impressed me in the slightest.

Basically what I'm saying is that if they ever do return Sonic to its former glory...it will be mediocre at best because that all it ever was.

They tried with 4 and everyone threw a temper tantrum.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
The series really hasnt been great since
Sonic_the_Hedgehog_Mega_Drive_cover.jpg
its a shame really how sega has literally fucked up the sonic name, they really need to sort it out fecking bonk has more respect now then sonic

To be fair shit really hit the fan when Sammy's staff of Hunting game and pachislot developers were making the games instead of the out of work Sonic Team originals.

Adventure 1 and 2 weren't awful. They had some huge issues, but a competent development team could have easily fixed those issues....that is something Sega has lacked for a long while now

Anyone

War Room Troll
I wonder just how many of the same staff is still around from NiGHTS and Burning Rangers. SEGA got a bit derailed when they abolished all their amazing studios after Dreamcast, I think a lot of talent left, chemistry wasn't as good. Still a great company, both arcade and console.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
I think a respectable throwback to Streets of Rage would throw Sega back into relevancy in the same way SF4 put Capcom(and fite gamez) back on the map.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
I wonder just how many of the same staff is still around from NiGHTS and Burning Rangers. SEGA got a bit derailed when they abolished all their amazing studios after Dreamcast, I think a lot of talent left, chemistry wasn't as good. Still a great company, both arcade and console.

Sega had nothing to do with that. They lost all the studios when Sammy bought them out

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
They tried with 4 and everyone threw a temper tantrum.
Sonic 4 was great except for they used the iPhone physics in the console versions, which made it shit.

I just played Generations a bit. It's not bad. Still not perfect but I'm actually enjoying it, which is more than I can say for any other recent Sonic games. I'll buy when it gets down to $20 or less. So like in a couple of weeks.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
I heard somebody say they finished the game in under four hours. That's a 20 dollar game for me. I'm glad they got rid of a lot of the BS and focused just on Sonic with his friends being left to the optional side missions. I never played through Adventure 2 because of the horrible Rogue and Knuckles missions. Between the clunky controls, being totally lost and the shit music I just turned it off and never went back. I want to check out the first Sonic Rush on the DS. I've got Adventure for free and I thought it was amazing, just wish I could play it on a normal TV, because it's easy to loose track of Sonic when he's running on two screens. The thing I don't like is you need to collect the chaos emeralds in order to advance. You have to race a shark in a jetski battle. The later ones are such a pain in the ass, if you mess up more then two times you're better off resetting the game and starting over.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I think a respectable throwback to Streets of Rage would throw Sega back into relevancy in the same way SF4 put Capcom(and fite gamez) back on the map.

PowerSpike redux, ala Daytona HD at the very least.

Fighting games resurgence? -Check

STGs relevant(cave home ports, twin stick ever damn where ddl) -Check

Old Skool platformer charas on current gen kit? (sonic, kirby, bionic cammando, mman, et al) -Check

Where my beat 'em ups at?

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member

I don't know about this. Streets of Rage is a great series, but it's from the BMU genre and that is inherently a niche genre these days.

I think Shenmue 3 would be the game to make the most noise for SEGA and make people take notice. Now that sandlot gaming has really opened up with games like Red Dead Redemption, Oblivion, Fallout 3 and so forth, and seeing how Batman: Arkham City is out and being well received, I can only imagine what kind of hype they could build for a fully realized Shenmue experience on this generation of consoles. They could even take it that extra step by keeping the game in the 80s time period. They could fully promote it as 'the sandlot game from the 80s.' And given the sort of mythical status a Shenmue 3 has these days, it might be time to take advantage of that.

turbosage

Zero's Secretary
15 Year Member
Shenmue 3 would get me to buy whatever console it would be on.

As for Sonic Gen. I DL'd the demo last night, tried both the 2D and 3D versions and I must admit. It isn't too bad, might actually be fun if it's got some more to it. However It feld like all I did was hold up/right on the D-pad while playing the 3D sonic bit while randomly mashing the jump button. Reminded me of the first levels of SA1 and 2, just a bit faster.

Will check this out when it hits $20 or less. :D

PleaseKillMeNow

Aerobics Instructor,
Shenmue III would be a very bad move for Sega. I'll accept HD updates that completely overhauls and takes all the things that sucked out of the first two. Which is a lot.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Shenmue III would be a very bad move for Sega. I'll accept HD updates that completely overhauls and takes all the things that sucked out of the first two. Which is a lot.

Why would it be a bad move? The game has all that mythic importance of legendary vaporware that would make a big splash for SEGA if it was legit. I'm failing to see the downside here, unless you're just assuming it will suck no matter what they do. Which is in no way an established fact before an announce/release.

I'm curious to hear your reasons. Is it based on your perception of SEGA, your personal feelings about the series or some objective observation or presentation of facts that all but proves Shenmue 3 would hurt SEGA more than help.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Isn't Yakuza essentially the same concept?

Does it continue the story of Shenmue?

I'm not trolling, I'm legitimately asking if it continues Ryo's journey of revenge. I don't know because I've never played the games (although I have 1-3, and will buy 4 soon because I hear enough good things about them that I trust they'll be awesome.)

If it doesn't continue Shenmue's story, then it can't be counted even as a spiritual successor to Shenmue, IMO.

IoriYagami n8

Genjuro's Frog
I took the jump and bought this. I have to say I've been pleasantly surprised, I don't know if it is for a non-Sonic fan to spend $50 bucks on, but definitely pick it up when it comes down in price. This is how an anniversary should be celebrated. Not with a repackaged classic title, but with a new game that mixes all the past elements of the franchise together. This game is filled with nods to older and newer Sonic games alike. They even reference some of the old cartoons and shit. I think this is the first time I've seen Sonic eat a chili-dog during one of his games, despite how much it was played up in the animated show.

I hope this game does well though, it a big step in the right direction and you can really get a sense for the amount of care that went into this game and that the developers weren't just slapping something together. They really wanted to bring forward what made Sonic great.

PleaseKillMeNow

Aerobics Instructor,
Why would it be a bad move? The game has all that mythic importance of legendary vaporware that would make a big splash for SEGA if it was legit. I'm failing to see the downside here, unless you're just assuming it will suck no matter what they do. Which is in no way an established fact before an announce/release.

I'm curious to hear your reasons. Is it based on your perception of SEGA, your personal feelings about the series or some objective observation or presentation of facts that all but proves Shenmue 3 would hurt SEGA more than help.

Many, many reasons but the overall is simply that there isn't a large enough audience for Sega to return a profit.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Anyways,,,,,,, I want a new powerstone.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Many, many reasons but the overall is simply that there isn't a large enough audience for Sega to return a profit.

I DO agree that Shenmue is not their greatest IP, but I don't think that's enough of a reason for them not to try it, or to instantly and factually predict that it would fail.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
I don't know about this. Streets of Rage is a great series, but it's from the BMU genre and that is inherently a niche genre these days.

Eh?

How was the 2d fighting game scene before Street Fighter 4?

Mediocre 3d BMUs based on Altered Beast, Final Fight and Golden Axe were pretty much DOA...and I think the biggest knock against them was that they actually WEREN'T 2d scrolling beat'em ups.

I guess in time Dragons Crown will come out and we'll see how dead the genre truly is.

Until then I can't really agree or disagree with what you're saying up there.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Eh?

How was the 2d fighting game scene before Street Fighter 4?

Mediocre 3d BMUs based on Altered Beast, Final Fight and Golden Axe were pretty much DOA...and I think the biggest knock against them was that they actually WEREN'T 2d scrolling beat'em ups.

I guess in time Dragons Crown will come out and we'll see how dead the genre truly is.

Until then I can't really agree or disagree with what you're saying up there.

I look at 2D BMUs that came out on XBLA and PSN, iike Castle Crashers and Scott Pilgrim and those games get good buzz and have a good rep for those developers. They're well regarded, but they aren't anything special in terms of their impact in the market. If SEGA releases a Streets of Rage sequel, it'll have niche appeal, much in the same way those other titles did. Streets of Rage is not some legendary franchise, and its limited play style in the modern market just wouldn't do anything for SEGA. Sonic is SEGA's true legendary franchise and look at what a lackluster response those games get.

As for Dragon's Crown, I am fucking there and you know it but it is not going to be a smash hit. It'll end up being on a million of those game journalism 'Great games you didn't play' lists.

Curt

apostate
I'd like to bump this old thread and say I got Sonic Generations today on Steam for $7.49. At that price I think the price is right, I dont think its worth 50.
I was a bit dissapointed with Sonic 4 like most, because it didnt seem very new, and the physics were kinda gross, and the 3d was only so so.

I didn't know what to expect when I booted up Sonic Generations, but man, Green Hill Zone, in 3D really blew me away. Im playing on PC at 1080p and didnt have any framerate issues so I was able to really enjoy the AMAZING levels they put together. THe people who made this REALLY love Sonic. I was kinda so so, but when I raced Metal SOnic in INSANE 3D complete with the original Sonic CD soundtrack playing behind me, I was sold. I'm only a few levels into it, but I can say I REALLY REALLY like it. Best sonic Game since Sonic Adventure. ANd in fact its a bit better than sonic adventure because honestly I didnt like the big the cat, amy, tails, and robot levels! This game is just nonstop Sonic, which is what I want.

Sonic Fans, I think if you can find a deal on it. Give it a shot. They promised "The Sonic from when we were kids" and thats pretty much what they gave us but with insane graphics. It's almost the sonic game I've always wanted. ...Now to see what Mega64 thought about it...