Sonic R Appreciation Thread

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
FUCKING YES!

I got this game for Christmas with my brand new Sega Saturn for Christmas’97.

I don’t care people say this game sucked. To a 9 year old it was everything I wanted it to be.

I also got a copy of Xmas Nights with the December copy of Official Sega Saturn Magazine UK.

Best Christmas ever.

Anyone up for a forum time trial challenge?

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Yes, I own, played, and beat it, but, haven't touched it in probably 2 decades. Got it for like $10 in a bargain bin when the Saturn was dying out. Not a perfect game by any means, but, a fun character racer for what it is. And I actually like the music.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
The biggest problem was, it was almost 1998 and we lived in a post-Mario 64 world. And Saturn owners wanted their Sonic 64. What they got instead, although it was cool to finally play as Sonic in 3D, was a racing game.

Sonic Adventure eventually blew everyone away but I can still remember that time. Someone pitch Netflix a documentary about Sega's boneheaded decisions.

sirlynxalot

Enemy Chaser
Fagit of the Year
I didn't play it until I was exploring the saturn library around 2016... anyway, I thought it was a great game with impressive graphics for the saturn hardware. It's not an alltime classic or anything, but I think its fun and graphically impressive for the hardware. Probably would have wowed better if it could have come out in 1996 instead of 1998. Definitely doesn't deserve the hate it gets, nothing about it felt mediocre at all (for the time when it came out, and the hardware it came out on).

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I’m lucky I played Sonic R before getting a N64 and playing Diddy Kong Racing or Mario Kart 64 a year later. Else I might hate Sonic R as well.

The sense of gravity and traction with the track surface just isn’t there in Sonic R.

But if you want a really, really bad time with the handling go for Dr Robotnik or the Tails Doll. If you can get 1st place on a track on hard difficulty and also manage to get the Chaos Emeralds with these two zero g fudgepackers then you are a god of a truly shit video game.

Sonic R get’s a bit of a free pass because:

1. It’s fully 3D on the Sega Saturn, a rare thing
2. Sonic Adventure didn’t come out for another year in Japan
3. Kids like me on a Sega Saturn didn’t know any better at the time
4. The Richard Jacques soundtrack

I’ve met alot of grown up causal gamers that think Crash Team Racing on PS1 is the best karting game ever. It isn’t, it’s totally shite. But as a kid you only get games at Christmas and Birthdays so even if it sucks you’ll still pour an unholy amount of hours into it.

So for me, Sonic R is my shit but endearing racing game of my youth. I replay it maybe once every 5 years or so and unlock everything again.

The game had some impressive (for the Sega Saturn) visual effects too, like reflections and transparency on the Emerald Road final stage.

tumblr_ojmxcaQQNa1w1kerio1_540.gifv

Last edited:

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I love CTR too. Mario Kart iterations after it's release were better, but, at the time, I felt it was the best of the best.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I appreciate its charms but it needed another three months in the oven. I liked one track, IIRC. The music is great. Overall it’s extremely bad though. It’s six years younger than Super Mario Kart…racing games that control like shit were already almost gone by then.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I have it. Cool soundtrack, absolutely terrible game. Gutter trash.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
I LOVED this game in the 90's for some reason. Even then I realized it wasn't great, but it had a charm to it. Maybe it was the soundtrack that got me through, but this is one of the few games in my life I 100%. lol. Hard to go back to these days, but I still "Let the Sunshine" brighten up my day with a little OST love. :)

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
what is the Mania version? It looks way easier being able to see a bigger field of view.

I really enjoy the game, but it takes a while to learn the levels and dial in controls.