Sony Sues ‘Jailbroken’ PS4 Seller for Copyright Infringement

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
This article details Sony going after a rather egregious PS4 ebay seller that was advertising jailbroken units and the "freedom" to "stop buying games". The PS4s came with games preloaded.

Per the article, "To our knowledge, this is the first jailbroken PS4 lawsuit, and it’s likely that Sony wants to set a clear example. [T]he potential damages run to hundreds of thousands of dollars."

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I don't understand why people advertise shit like that on ebay.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
I don't understand why people advertise shit like that on ebay.

eBay stopped giving a shit. Most things, you can just openly list them as bootleg and eBay won't touch it. They don't even go after modchip sellers anymore.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Yeah, the last few times I tried to report something for being a bootleg, I couldn't even find a proper option for it, and I don't remember being able to type something in to be more specific. I thought that was weird. Unless I was missing something

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
eBay stopped giving a shit. Most things, you can just openly list them as bootleg and eBay won't touch it. They don't even go after modchip sellers anymore.

It used to be if you listed a system with even a video mod there was a good chance of having it taken down since the word "mod" was in the description.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member

Yea, I know alot of pirated stuff is on ebay now but why would he advertise with the thread listing showing 63 games. What if he had put "Selling Jailbroken or Modded Ps4, no games included". I was always under the impression that you could sell stuff like flash carts and modded consoles as long as it doesn't include copyrighted stuff on the sd card or hard drive.

His website is kind of stupid as well. He's pretty much asking to be fucked.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member

Yeah pretty much this. You can sell ROM drives, reproductions, and anything else.
Ebay doesn't give a shit anymore.

it will be interesting if this lawsuit will impact ebay at all.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
This was bound to happen. When there are plenty of stupid people in the world, you get this kind of outcome.

gusmoney

10 Year Member
Yeah pretty much this. You can sell ROM drives, reproductions, and anything else.
Ebay doesn't give a shit anymore.

it will be interesting if this lawsuit will impact ebay at all.

In the post-Alibaba, Wish, etc. era of consumerism; I wonder if ebay has turned a blind eye. That kind of runs counter to Amazon continually saying it is upping its protections on copyrighted products, however.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
In the post-Alibaba, Wish, etc. era of consumerism; I wonder if ebay has turned a blind eye. That kind of runs counter to Amazon continually saying it is upping its protections on copyrighted products, however.

Amazon can say all they want, but as far as I can tell they aren't proactively doing anything about it unless enough customers complain. I still wouldn't buy game controllers, sd cards, or any of the other commonly bootlegged things from any of the third party sellers.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Alot of the problem with the PS4 seller is that he's selling current gen games on a hacked system, but then again, Nintendo still chases people for loaded everdrives too.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Remember when Microsoft was the asshole in the room?

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Amazon can say all they want, but as far as I can tell they aren't proactively doing anything about it unless enough customers complain. I still wouldn't buy game controllers, sd cards, or any of the other commonly bootlegged things from any of the third party sellers.

Agreed. I've received quite a few counterfeit goods "fulfilled by Amazon"

gusmoney

10 Year Member

Also having copyright holders complain. I have seen this in action in a professional setting as they send C&D letters, via counsel, to infringers on Amazon. This can be effective but it can also be like a game of whack-a-mole.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Agreed. I've received quite a few counterfeit goods "fulfilled by Amazon"

I got Olli Olli, sealed with bootleg art and no disk, straight from Amazon themselves. I was incredulous.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

Amazon is 1000% safer than Alibaba, where you practically need a third party to quality control before it ships to the US.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
This thread reminds me of the original whipping boy for console hacking, Lik-Sang, who I still kind of miss. Re: Amazon, I saw an Amazon Prime delivery truck driving down the street just now, kind of freaky. I have yet to receive a boot from their 3rd party sellers, but I check feedback carefully for any bootleg-related negative complaints.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
It really depends on what you are ordering. It has to be something with consistent sales most of the time.
The Boardgame industry has been getting hammered with counterfeits. Larger publishers are claiming millions in lost revenue.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
This thread reminds me of the original whipping boy for console hacking, Lik-Sang, who I still kind of miss. Re: Amazon, I saw an Amazon Prime delivery truck driving down the street just now, kind of freaky. I have yet to receive a boot from their 3rd party sellers, but I check feedback carefully for any bootleg-related negative complaints.

Heck yeah. I wrote Sony an email complaining about the Lik-Sang debacle and they sent back a canned response. Kinda surprised I got a response at all. That move really cemented my ambivalence toward Playstation platforms.