Sony TV + Supergun Probs

Phix

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Hi ...i got my self a 2 slot and supergun but when ever i try it on my Sony Wega the picture is unstable ...bear in mind im using RGB and it works on the other 2 TV's in the house .
Some one suggested that it may be that the sync wire may not be connected i'm at a loss with it ,
Any ideas People :help: :help: :help:

Last edited:

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
It could simply be that the TV cannot correctly support RGB in or the 60hz refresh rate.

Raz

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
This may be a problem with the horizontal scan rate, which is around 15 kHz for the Neo. Most TV's, computer monitors, etc., don't use this refresh rate anymore (I think most use a rate closer to 30 kHz). Maybe there's a converter for that, I'm not sure.

acem77

Over Top Auto Mechanic
20 Year Member
i have a sony wega kv-36xbr2000 and it had a problem with midway jamma boards. mk1-3 nba jam.
the pic would hop up and down real fast. the tv is looking for somthing in spec.
arcade boards dont follow any real solid specs. so its just dumb luck it wont work on some tvs.
arcade rgb monitors are way less picky/adjustable.

if your lucky there is a service mode code in some sonys that may do the trick for you. links are below. i had no luck with my sony but i do remeber the problem...
now i have my new hd dlp it works great with all my jamma boards :) so far...

http://www.gwtrading.com/HGAfaq.shtml#19

http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/sonyadj.html

Phix

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
acem77 said:
i have a sony wega kv-36xbr2000 and it had a problem with midway jamma boards. mk1-3 nba jam.
the pic would hop up and down real fast. the tv is looking for somthing in spec.
arcade boards dont follow any real solid specs. so its just dumb luck it wont work on some tvs.
arcade rgb monitors are way less picky/adjustable.

if your lucky there is a service mode code in some sonys that may do the trick for you. links are below. i had no luck with my sony but i do remeber the problem...
now i have my new hd dlp it works great with all my jamma boards :) so far...

http://www.gwtrading.com/HGAfaq.shtml#19

http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/sonyadj.html
Ok this sounds like whats happening to my TV i can get into the service menu but have no idea what to change :help: :help:
Phix

acem77

Over Top Auto Mechanic
20 Year Member
The section that deals directly with the Sony problem is section 3.3 which has a paragraph or so on the VSM0 setting of the Sony TV. This is where we believe the problem with some game boards exist. Changing it from a 0 to a 1 should solve the problem and not effect general TV viewing.

VSM0 setting of the Sony TV.
that is the setting you need to have in the service menu. if you dont then i guess your sol. i was missing the same setting in my set. i tried many things to get the problem pcbs to work and had no luck...

even my video capture hardware on my pc could not get the signal. pc stuff thought it was pal???

not really sonys fault just the boards are a bit wacky... really ment for rgb monitors
but i am sure a diff tv may work.

Last edited:

Phix

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
acem77 said:
The section that deals directly with the Sony problem is section 3.3 which has a paragraph or so on the VSM0 setting of the Sony TV. This is where we believe the problem with some game boards exist. Changing it from a 0 to a 1 should solve the problem and not effect general TV viewing.

VSM0 setting of the Sony TV.
that is the setting you need to have in the service menu. if you dont then i guess your sol. i was missing the same setting in my set. i tried many things to get the problem pcbs to work and had no luck...

even my video capture hardware on my pc could not get the signal. pc stuff thought it was pal???

not really sonys fault just the boards are a bit wacky... really ment for rgb monitors
but i am sure a diff tv may work.
Well that option is out the window as my TV doesnt have that setting :( as its designed for use in Pal regions ...
Any more ideas as this is killing me playing on a 21" tv thats 6 years old :crying:
:help: Phix

T_Smallz

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
Sony Rulez

OK Here's where my Sony expertise comes in. And the fact that I know things I shouldn't sometimes. ;)

To access your Maufacturer options on any Sony brand television press the following series of buttons with the tv power off.

"Display", "5", "Volume +", and then "Power"

The TV will power on in this mode, to exit this mode simply turn the tv off and then back on again.

The 4 button commands should be entered quickly like a cheat code on a console game. Then you can change variables and some models will let you adjust the refresh rate etc. Depending on the model #.

You can cycle through the menus and change settings with the number pad (1 (up) & 4 (down) I believe cycle through and 3 (up) & 6(down) change the setting of the option selected) This may be wrong as I havn't adjusted any in a while but it is something very similar to that, but write down your original settings before changing something as you can really screw your set up if you don't pay attention to what your doing.

Last edited:

Phix

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Ok i know how to get in to the Sony service menu ....but them im stuck any ideas :help: :help:
Phix

T_Smallz

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
I believe the 1 & 4 buttons cycle through the menus of adjustable options.

The 3 & 6 buttons adjust the options up and down.

Be careful as I said, and if you don't know much about tv's I wouldn't attenpt to adjust these setttings.

Phix

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
T_Smallz said:
I believe the 1 & 4 buttons cycle through the menus of adjustable options.

The 3 & 6 buttons adjust the options up and down.

Be careful as I said, and if you don't know much about tv's I wouldn't attenpt to adjust these setttings.
lol i know how to get all the settings listed when im in the service menu i just press menu its gives me a big list ....it there i dont know what to change .....
I have messed with it before as my picture wasnt straight :D
Phix

T_Smallz

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
Huh?

That's strange, there shouldn't be a menu for this option if you're doing it right. It should have green font all over the screen for options to adjust. Well I've never seen a menu one yet and my Sony XBR plasma isn't even a menu driven service mode.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Phix, don't you get this menu when you enter service mode?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v65/nassivera/blktiger5.jpg

As you see there is a SYNC sub-menu. However I have never messed up with anything but pictrure geometry and I advise you to do the same, unless you first consult some tech at your Sony assistance center and/or get an official Sony service manual.

On a side note, I've never experienced any sync problem with those Williams/Midway boards on this Sony TV.

Last edited:

MuKuro

Overtop Pathfinder
15 Year Member
SONY 100Hz like all 100HZ TVC are not good for RGB!!! the situation is worse with S-video and RCA obviously!
Get a standard 50Hz PAL TVC and it'll work at 60HZ without problem! I have one Panasonic with wonder colours I use it with scart RGB directly from jamma boards.

I

Phix

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
MKL said:
Phix, don't you get this menu when you enter service mode?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v65/nassivera/blktiger5.jpg

As you see there is a SYNC sub-menu. However I have never messed up with anything but pictrure geometry and I advise you to do the same, unless you first consult some tech at your Sony assistance center and/or get an official Sony service manual.

On a side note, I've never experienced any sync problem with those Williams/Midway boards on this Sony TV.
Ok no Sync menu the ones listed are
Geometry
Panorama
Service
Scanrate
DAC
Pip
Sound
IF Adjustment
Error Menu
Not sure if any onf those are any help :(
As ive only messed with the geometry up till now
Phix :buttrock:

Last edited:

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
is there a progressive scan option, switch it off, you require interlace.

Im not familiar with this set, but usually a special service set up remote control is required to adjust "factory settings"

"problem with midway jamma boards. mk1-3 nba jam.
the pic would hop up and down real fast."
Thats because they use a different vert scan freq of 53.2 Hz. murder with rgb to vid encoders on most tvs.

Phix

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Nope no progresive Scan option on my TV :(
Any thing else ....
Phix

bigb32

Quiz Detective
This thread caught my attention because I have a Sony Wega KV-32v26 and I am going to be getting a consolized 2-slot system soon, but I will be using a component connection, so will I encounter these same problems?

Phix

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
bigb32 said:
This thread caught my attention because I have a Sony Wega KV-32v26 and I am going to be getting a consolized 2-slot system soon, but I will be using a component connection, so will I encounter these same problems?
Im unsure if u will encounter any probs with that model Sony just for the Recored my Model Number is KV-32FX68K :D
Phix

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Have you tried some other 60Hz console on that TV? 'Cause if they all do the same then it's obvious the TV can't do 60Hz.

Phix

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Yea

MKL said:
Have you tried some other 60Hz console on that TV? 'Cause if they all do the same then it's obvious the TV can't do 60Hz.
The Tv can handle 60hz NTSC or PAL just fine i have a Jap dc , US snes , US cube etc so i know its 60 hz capable.....
Phix

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Then it's *very* hard to believe that a MVS with RGB scart cable gives a rolling picture on this Sony TV but works well on other two TVs, thus ruling out problems with the board or the cable themselves (loose sync wires, etc.).

It'd be interesting to see if other arcade boards or even an AES show the same problem. Do you have any means to test these?