Soooo, I ordered an Nvidia Shield today

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Great. Which means little to no future support. Awesome.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
According to July NPD the Shield sold less than 10,000 units in July.

For comparison, the Ouya did somewhere between 13K and 20K in its first retail month (last month). Ouya did under 10K this month too.

I don't know what kind of numbers Nvidia was expecting but 10K at retail in its debut month CANNOT be good.

Wait till the holidays to see how well they do.

Last edited:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Ain't nobody buying an Ouya or a Shield this Christmas.

Even the Vita's probably too dead to come back and it's currently bottoming out higher than where Ouya and Shield launched.

Wii U is selling abysmally too and it more than tripled Shield this month (Wii U's only releases were two movie licensed games). But it's about to actually get some games for a change, and might actually rebound.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Ain't nobody buying an Ouya or a Shield this Christmas.

Even the Vita's probably too dead to come back and it's currently bottoming out higher than where Ouya and Shield launched.

Wii U is selling abysmally too and it more than tripled Shield this month (Wii U's only releases were two movie licensed games). But it's about to actually get some games for a change, and might actually rebound.

I fear you are right. I think phones/tablets have essentially destroyed the dedicated handheld platforms. Oh well. [plays gameboy]

excluding the 3DS though...and the originl PSP in japan. Both still make good numbers I think.

Elder

NEST Puppet
I fear you are right. I think phones/tablets have essentially destroyed the dedicated handheld platforms. Oh well. [plays gameboy]

excluding the 3DS though...and the originl PSP in japan. Both still make good numbers I think.

Yeah the 3DS has actually been on fire lately. It was the top selling platform in North America for the past three months running. That's pretty damn impressive considering how drastically the market has changed over the past few years, as you mentioned.

famicommander

15 Year Member
The PSP is not really much of a factor anymore. It still does fine with software sales in Japan but fewer than 10,000 per week are actually buying one and the Vita usually outsells it.

The 3DS is really going to hit critical mass when Pokemon and Monster Hunter 4 hit. Plus it's about time for a redesign. I think 3DS will sell more than Wii U, PS4, or XB1 in the long run. By a lot.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
threw my Shield in the drawer until I read someone mention "how great the new PC streaming works!" or until Dead Trigger 2 comes out. Either way...disappointed.

threw my Shield in the drawer until I read someone mention "how great the new PC streaming works!" or until Dead Trigger 2 comes out. Either way...disappointed.

I have an obscure horizontal shooting game I'd trade for it.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Sales for US NPD August:
OUYA ~ 4K
SHIELD < 2K

That's insanely bad.

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
I am so confused by the marketing minds that went into creating Ouya and Shield.

Basic console gaming economics has always depended upon licensing agreements with developers, which helps the console build up its software library right?

Shield streams games from your PC, and Ouya plays Android phone games. How are they planning to generate excitement --if there had been any to begin with?-- and sustain it.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Ouya already got your money. That's what the kickstarter was for.

famicommander

15 Year Member
They only got 10 million from the Kickstarter. They've probably already blown that.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
If Nvidia could get Gameloft to support them a bit with their titles I would get more jazzed about the android games...but as it is now. Meh.

Probably going to toss it on ebay and get a Vita

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
I am so confused by the marketing minds that went into creating Ouya and Shield.

Basic console gaming economics has always depended upon licensing agreements with developers, which helps the console build up its software library right?

Shield streams games from your PC, and Ouya plays Android phone games. How are they planning to generate excitement --if there had been any to begin with?-- and sustain it.

I don't know about Shield, aside from not liking the design.

Ouya, now that was a bull-dike who wanted to start her own company so she could spend more time with her lover and child. Kickstarter trendy hipster video rally - It got CRAZY support online - especially from places like Reddit. Most of them morons with COMPLETELY unrealistic expectations of what the device could do. As soon as the pre-retail units shipped people were giving it shitty reviews. All that said, I've heard people here enjoy it - a good emu machine. The dike went out and hunted for devs to make exclusives, and was rallying online for anyone with a pulse to make a game. "It's easy you fucking nerds, buy these boxes and make some games! I'm gonna go eat some pussy, peace." Not sure how that's going.

Last edited:

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Very skeptical of this thing but I look forward to reading your impressions.

Shut the fuck up you stupid bitch.

I just got mine this week after I saw the price had dropped to $199.

This is the promised land. This is the one true handheld.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
how is the dreamcast emulation? that seems pretty interesting. i guarantee if i had portable shenmue i would actually beat them.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Wasn't there a Nvidia Tablet that just came out which blows this away...

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Wasn't there a Nvidia Tablet that just came out which blows this away...

The Shield Tablet

shieldtablet-820x420.jpg

No clue how it performs. I like the controller being separate though, even though it hurts mobility a handheld offers.

robot

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
how is the dreamcast emulation? that seems pretty interesting. i guarantee if i had portable shenmue i would actually beat them.

It's pretty amazing - I threw about a dozen games at it and it handled all them except Capcom VS SNK.

I regularly play Soul Calibur, Project Justice, and Power Stone on it - framerate is rock solid. There are a few minor background glitches on occasion but thats being pretty nit picky.

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Anyone play the new Wonder Momo game which was only for Shiled and the Mad Catz handheld?

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
So I've spent a little time with my shield now.
My first one had a minor hardware problem. The right analogue stick would only sometimes register horizontal input. I got a replacement in the mail today and it seems fine.
I don't like that KitKat restricts application access to the SD card. Not Nvidia's fault and the 16gb internal storage doesn't make the situation as crippling as it would have been for my xperia play. FPSE can't compress my sd-located psx images under KitKat. I had to use my Xperia Play to do the conversions before transferring the files over. I plan on rooting my device soon to fix this issue.

The device feels great in the hands. So much better than you might think when getting a first impression.

It's massive and sturdy. It's something to throw in your backpack, not carry in your pocket. Get a Wiz (good luck) if you want a discreet pocketable device.

It's so, so powerful. Dreamcast emulation, when it works, is incredible. Jet Grind Radio looks like an "HD" re-release. Any shortcomings in Dreamcast performance is down to reicast, not the shield. The sprites in MvC2 and CvS2 are garbled. That's it.

N64 emulation is great. Games that seemed broken on Mupen64 on my Xperia Play run fluently on the Shield.

PSX emulation is the best of all. EPSXE runs at full speed with all the bells and whistles turned on.

RetroArch runs very well and helps to fill in gaps in system coverage. As an example, the wonderswan emulators that I've seen are lackluster and not very configurable. It's easier to just use Retroarch instead.

I bought my N64 well after the death of the system, and I always found it a chore to deal with the weird controller and poor video output. I think the Shield will be the first console I actually finish Mario64 on. In the past I've always lost interest and patience at around 50 stars.

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
I picked up a dirt cheap shield off Craigslist this past weekend. I love it when I can pry it out of my daughters hands.