SOTM August: GUNBIRD 2: Don't Stand in the way of the Queen Pirates!

Who do you challenge?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Greetings Everyone,

Here are the choices for the August SOTM:

UNDER DEFEAT (G-Rev - 2006) (DC / PS3 / Arcade / 360)
*A unique shooter featuring directional shooting across vertical scrolling, and often slow horizontal scrolling. If you are familiar with Zero Gunner 2 or Twin Cobra you will understand the mechanics quickly. Score is more closely tied to survival in this game, but there is still a lot of room for precise killing, particularly on bosses, to allow for wide range of scoring.
wp1-UnderDefeat-0800x600.jpg

Deathsmiles (CAVE - 2007) (360 / Arcade)
*A horizontal shootie from CAVE that allows the player to select their stage and difficulty. A relatively easy game for hardened shmup fans, but an easy to explain / difficult to master scoring system allows for a competitive SOTM offering.
header.jpg

Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 (CAVE - 2006) (360 / Arcade)
*A bullet hell vertical shooter that features fantastic music and sprite work. Wondeful unique bugs need to be destroyed and some want to be pepper sprayed while others want you to hold on with your power shot. This game ramps up to crazy around stage 4 and will challenge even the rowdiest of SOTM club aficionados.
1717450-mushihimesama_futari_black_label_poster.jpg

Gunbird 2 - (Psikyo - 1998) (DC / Arcade / Switch)
*Standard Psikyo fare in which the first 3 stages alternate, but the first stage you play will always be easiest and then ramping up. Collecting shiny coins and chaining together is the key here. You never understand why you die in this game, but you do. The bullets are a little slower, the patterns a little more forgiving, but it still gets harder than a nut when missus is gone for 3 weeks. Wide character selection gives this timeless game its wonder.
maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Damn, these are some great choices!

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
The bullets are a little slower, the patterns a little more forgiving, but it still gets harder than a nut when missus is gone for 3 weeks.

Seriously good game selection and excellent mini reviews.

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
I love Deathsmiles and will always try to get an excuse to return to it - very solid other choices though.

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
Looks like Gunbird 2 is taking the lead. Tough game...

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
Definitely down for some Gunbird 2. Great choices all around though.

geise

Mickey's Coach
Weren't every single one of these games done quite a few times before for SoTM or GotM or RGotM? Good selection but these are starting to seem like the standard.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Weren't every single one of these games done quite a few times before for SoTM or GotM or RGotM? Good selection but these are starting to seem like the standard.

I think Gunbird 2 and Deathsmiles were over 2 years ago, not sure about the others.

They all happen to be heavily ported games so most people will have access to them. I prefer that to more obscure games that would have less participation.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member

Here is the game list from previous years, I didn't go back and update it...

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
I think Gunbird 2 and Deathsmiles were over 2 years ago, not sure about the others.

They all happen to be heavily ported games so most people will have access to them. I prefer that to more obscure games that would have less participation.

Yeah. I learned the hard way that suggesting obscure titles garners little participation. People here rather play titles they know of.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Yeah. I learned the hard way that suggesting obscure titles garners little participation. People here rather play titles they know of.
That, and the accessibility of the games themselves. I love discovering new games, but if they're only available on hardware I don't have then I'm not going to be able to experience it.

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
For sure - accessibility I think is probably most important. My favorite games (Pro Gear, Cyvern, Dimahoo, Vasara 2) are each only available one place (save emulation) so as wonderful as they are, most people won't have access, whereas these can all be purchased for >$50 if you don't already have them.

Spoiler:
I'm sure there's a thread already - Vasara/Vasara 2 are getting Switch release - so hopefully we can play that one here soon

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
Well "accessibility" is relative when you have to dish out over $100 for a DC game to participate ;) The really funny thing is I even thought of getting a PS2 and the Gunbird collection because it is cheaper than going for the DC game
Edit: I just saw it's on Switch too - so I retract my statement

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Under Defeat, since I was getting better at it lately... Gunbird 2 on the DC? Do I have to go back to standard definition again?!

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
Under Defeat is on PS3 and 360 (for much less than the DC version).

Gunbird 2 is on PS2, DC, and Switch.

I don't think any of those run anywhere near $100 though?

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I’m thinking of opening up choices to what’s on King of Air, the next time I get a month. That said, there is an inexpensive option for all of the games included in this month’s poll. Strong work!

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
I just assumed everyone emulated with most SotM shmups since they're often expensive to purchase used.

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
one more day. Looking like Gunbird 2, but still close...

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
Under Defeat is on PS3 and 360 (for much less than the DC version).

Gunbird 2 is on PS2, DC, and Switch.

I don't think any of those run anywhere near $100 though?

Gunbird Special Edition is pretty cheap on PS2 (around $20 to pick up locally over here), The DC version is something I only found on ebay starting from $90 to $100, Switch Version is a download for $8 - so as said when I realized it is available on Switch: Good choice for availability in general thanks.
(Don't have a Switch or PS2 available here though so I'm going to use an emulator, PS2 seems to be cheap in general although so perhaps a good reason to get one)

Edit: Now I finally understand what the rotation option on my convertible is good for...
gb2 (Large).jpg

Last edited:

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Don’t forget one could always “burn” a copy on DC...