SOTM January 2021 - Ghost Pilots and Fixeight

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
I dunno if I’m doing something wrong, but how is everyone scoring so high on fixeight? Am I missing something? I can’t get past the moving platforms on stage 3. But everyone else is crushing it. :(

I think my score jumped way up by unintentionally milking the second boss. If you let the smoke snake things grow out before blowing them up, the score counter constantly goes up while the snake "retracts" back to the opening. I haven't bothered purposely milking it though, i was just messing around when my score was suddenly like 100k more

Last edited:

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
BBH - 827,220 - 65 - Lucy Pamela - MAME - No

xmaafh1.png

man, I've always wanted to like this game but the European version is too easy and the Japanese (and other regions too in MAME, I assume) version is too hard. This would be a lot more manageable if it didn't rank up so fast, I get stressed out by the Hurry Up notices too. I need to specifically practice Stage 5 before I attempt this again.

I can't be bothered to play Ghost Pilots right now because that game is trash lmao

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
mdAeVLGm.jpg

gusmoney - 315600 - stage 2 - MiSTer - yes on stage one, no on stage two (don't ask)

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Scores updated!

I dunno if I’m doing something wrong, but how is everyone scoring so high on fixeight? Am I missing something? I can’t get past the moving platforms on stage 3. But everyone else is crushing it. :(

I wonder if it might be a region thing? USA region seems very easy to me for a Toaplan game, but I haven't tried JP yet.

I think my score jumped way up by unintentionally milking the second boss. If you let the smoke snake things grow out before blowing them up, the score counter constantly goes up while the snake "retracts" back to the opening. I haven't bothered purposely milking it though, i was just messing around when my score was suddenly like 100k more

There are a couple good milk spots in this game, Stage 4 has another one when the stage splits to two walkways and the robot looking dudes spawn from the top for quite some time before the timer forces you up.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Update: After firing up Fixeight JP in MAME, I've decided to separate the score table by region. The Japanese version is significantly more difficult, with a much shorter "hurry up!" timer.

If you haven't specified a version, I've automatically bumped you down to the other table. Neodogg and BBH feel free to update with a region if you want to be placed on the appropriate board.

I've also posted my 1-all score of the USA version :lolz: I'll be trying JP from now on though, and I'm not so optimistic.
b214f6dcd927eb5f5e0069db9dd40a99.jpg

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
20210122_003841_compress39.jpg
Neo Alec - 506,900 - stage 3 - MVS - yes

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
If you haven't specified a version, I've automatically bumped you down to the other table. Neodogg and BBH feel free to update with a region if you want to be placed on the appropriate board.

I used the Japanese version.

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
D2p6T5L.png

BBH - 2,183,710 - Loop 2-5 - Lucy Pamela - MAME - USA

played a credit of Fixeight For Babies, aka the US version. No-missed the first loop and then immediately ate shit to a suicide bullet on 2-1, lol. Never actually tried to prep for the second loop, so... that was an experience.

I've been doing some routing on the Japanese version and I'm pretty confident I can clear a loop of this eventually. Although a lot of this hinges on having the speed up for the last stage...

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
I used the Japanese version.

Thanks, I figured but wasn't sure. Updated now.

I’d guess the version on Pandora is US?

What's the title screen look like? JP version has the subtitle in kanji underneath "fixeight", if it's not there then assume other version.

Neo Alec - 506,900 - stage 3 - MVS - yes

Neo Alec on the board!

D2p6T5L.png

BBH - 2,183,710 - Loop 2-5 - Lucy Pamela - MAME - USA

played a credit of Fixeight For Babies, aka the US version. No-missed the first loop and then immediately ate shit to a suicide bullet on 2-1, lol. Never actually tried to prep for the second loop, so... that was an experience.

I've been doing some routing on the Japanese version and I'm pretty confident I can clear a loop of this eventually. Although a lot of this hinges on having the speed up for the last stage...

Nice one, slaughtered the US version!

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
Well, it doesn’t move me up a rank, but I nudged my score up a bit.

ShootTheCore - 502,240 - 36 - Cull-horn - PCB - SEA

C146D096-D677-4E53-AF0B-75F92153E858.jpeg

gusmoney

10 Year Member
2I9EMW5m.jpg

gusmoney - 456,800 - 3 - MiSTer - Y

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
I gave in and played a credit of Ghost Pilots

gzLAqh6.png

BBH - 1,233,600 - 6? - MAME - No

as usual, no idea if that stage number is right since they don't number them

gusmoney

10 Year Member
Someone eat the egg sammy?

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Someone eat the egg sammy?

Ahh sorry I was AFK this weekend.

Final scoreboard update, congrats to BBH for completely dominating this month!

Thanks to all of you masochists for playing Ghost Pilots as well. See ya next month.

gusmoney

10 Year Member
Ahh sorry I was AFK this weekend.

Final scoreboard update, congrats to BBH for completely dominating this month!

Thanks to all of you masochists for playing Ghost Pilots as well. See ya next month.

Appreciate your running this!