SOTM March 2022: Shikigami No Shiro ("Castle of Shikigami," "Mobile Light Force 2"

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Hell yeah, Dogg. Heavy score for a 3-1 finish, someone must be tensioning hard. Close to that extend too.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
She'll probably say any regular ass stick modded with the Brook retro board, just a heads up.

I have a Sega Virtua high-grade stick with a bunch of Brooks adapters. The adapters are a total pain in the ass but it gets a job done. But I don’t got time to pull down the joystick and play games so I just use my PS2 Saturn pad

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
dat monitor...& dat "get items" maybe it should read "get fucked"...

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
My G-Net is picky about this game - it'll boot up and play it fine if I'm changing titles over from another game, but if I keep the card for this game in and power cycle then it gets stuck in a reboot loop.

Anyway, I switched over to Mobile Light Force 2 for now - here's a better score for me.

ShootTheCore- 107,316,360 - Kuga - 1938- Stage 2-3 - Mobile Light Force 2 PS2

IMG_1598.png

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
My G-Net is picky about this game - it'll boot up and play it fine if I'm changing titles over from another game, but if I keep the card for this game in and power cycle then it gets stuck in a reboot loop.

Anyway, I switched over to Mobile Light Force 2 for now - here's a better score for me.

ShootTheCore- 107,316,360 - Kuga - 1938- Stage 2-3 - Mobile Light Force 2 PS2

View attachment 56590
The G-Net is a power hungry bitch. Like, my PSU that had run a Naomi for years shit the bed with a G-Net and I'm recapping it. Similar symptoms, power cycle / reboot loops. A healthy PSU cleared it right up.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Sorry Dogg.

I told myself I wasn't going to play anymore this month, but fired up a few credits tonight. I'm fully done after this though, so if you want to beat me it's all yours.

Shikigami series is so brutal scoring wise. The reckless bullet scraping feels satisfying until you inevitably take a bullet to the face, rendering your scoring absolute garbage. You basically need to no miss as long as possible, but damn the difficulty is too much. I can't see a clear happening without a LOT of practice.

egg_sanwich - 162,078,420 - Stage 3-3 - Kuga - mame

DDC77B84-0C01-481A-A693-91DD1A67E70C.jpeg

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Will get on it today, ty for the prod.

Guys (@roker) if you want on the scoreboard please try to put your score in text too.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
skate323k137 - 94,161,980 - Kim - Stage 2-3 - 1683 - G-NET

Updated leaderboard :)

For those who may not like the game as much, if you are used to cave games with slow move mechanic when shot is held, I strongly recommend trying Kim (Farthest right on the character select screen). I know he's not the most popular for scoring in the series but I find him quite intuitive gameplay wise, especially if you enable rapid on C so you have one button for each weapon.

Attachments

• 20220327_150416.jpg
    20220327_150416.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
@egg_sanwich egg...nice run. I won't have time this month for a follow up score. Some day I'll get you...
Thank you for the motivation, I don't think I would've gotten as far without the pressure.

skate323k137 - 94,161,980 - Kim - Stage 2-3 - 1683 - G-NET

Updated leaderboard :)

For those who may not like the game as much, if you are used to cave games with slow move mechanic when shot is held, I strongly recommend trying Kim (Farthest right on the character select screen). I know he's not the most popular for scoring in the series but I find him quite intuitive gameplay wise, especially if you enable rapid on C so you have one button for each weapon.
Is c button auto an option? I considered configuring it on my stick but thought that might be frowned upon.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
C auto is an option, kinda hard to find in the gnet test menu, but if you have a phone with Google translate app, you can aim your camera at your cab to translate test menus :)

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Thanks for updating the leaderboard! It has made it abundantly clear my skill level leaves lots to be desired.

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
Thanks for hosting @skate323k137!

I'm happy I finally tried the series out even if it didn't quite mesh well with me. Like egg said, I just find the risky scoring too intense for me, but I can see that there's definitely a massive pool of strategy and scoring potential waiting for players who click with it. Super interesting series and I finally understand where the love comes from. Picking up the sequel on PC next time it's on sale for sure

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Thanks for hosting @skate323k137!

I'm happy I finally tried the series out even if it didn't quite mesh well with me. Like egg said, I just find the risky scoring too intense for me, but I can see that there's definitely a massive pool of strategy and scoring potential waiting for players who click with it. Super interesting series and I finally understand where the love comes from. Picking up the sequel on PC next time it's on sale for sure
Nice! And you're welcome!

Scoring aside, Shiki 2 holds a special place in my heart. There are a lot of dense but slower moving parts that helped me learn bullet hell shmups overall much better. It's one of my few arcade 1CCs.