SOTM March 2023 Vote -

Which SHMUP's gonna be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Alright!

Let's pick up a game for March's competion.

Final Soldier - PC Engine / New Gen / Emu
images

Sengoku Blade - PCB / Saturn / New Gen / Emu
main.png

Thunder Force IV - Mega Drive / New Gen / Emu
30514_047e8042589b79730623edd8fe19de2e0e3b6b15.png

Blast Wind - Saturn / Emu
images

Aero Fighters 2 - Neo Geo / New Gen / Emu
1677327587679.jpeg

Name your poison. Let's fire some bullets!

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
So... lookd like we have a draw.

Is it ok if we do both games or shall we do a tie break?

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
the one that is on Saturn should be the obvious choice...

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Let's do Blast Wind

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
oddly 3 people who voted for Blast Wind...
I don't see Aero Fighters/Sonic Wings 2 in the history rescently but it feels like we did it not too long ago...maybe because of Special?
I swore we played it recently too enough so that I looked at the history for the past few years that you created but it isn't there. So I voted for it and look forward to playing it.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
I dropped a cred just now. Weird fucking game. Looking forward to checking it out more.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Aesthetically, It’s a genesis game on steroids, as opposed to a Saturn/ST-V game…and the route gimmick sometimes unfairly kills you…but I love it.

Wish TechnoSoft would’ve done more vertazontal &/or tate games, and wish they would’ve finished this one completely and on time-so it could’ve been an arcade board.

This game will be on the big screen at this weekend’s meet up!!

Last edited:

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Aesthetically, It’s a genesis game on steroids, as opposed to a Saturn/ST-V game…and the route gimmick sometimes unfairly kills you…but I love it.

Wish TechnoSoft would’ve done more tate games, and wish they would’ve finished this one completely and on time-so it could’ve been an arcade board.

This game will be on the big screen at this weekend’s meet up!!
It's not actually tate though is it... it's verti-zontal - unless there's a hidden option in the Saturn version I've missed :(

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
It's not actually tate though is it... it's verti-zontal - unless there's a hidden option in the Saturn version I've missed :(

You are absolutely correct; poorly written on my part.

Edit incoming.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Oh man I thought you were gonna reveal some code or something that put it into proper tate!!

Really wish they'd added in a tate mode, most Saturn shmups had the option, although I guess as it never made it to the arcade it was never optomized for this display during development. :(

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Interesting that there was 17 total voters, but we usually get half those numbers actually participating in the SOTM. :unsure:

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
Interesting that there was 17 total voters, but we usually get half those numbers actually participating in the SOTM. :unsure:
If one votes for a title that loses, is one obligated to play the winning title? We talked about this a bit in this month's SotM thread.

Maybe I don't have access to the other games or they don't appeal to me. Sengoku Blade is a fairly different title than the others posted, maybe I prefer that game style or am biased against it.

I voted for Aero Fighters 2, if that game doesn't win there is a good chance I will not participate. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with doing that.

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Naw there's no real obligation to play. It's just a fun shump competition club. But I mean, seems weird to me to participate in the vote then check-out if the outcome isn't what you wanted.
For me, if I can at least run the game, I'll participate as much I can (schedule permitting).
I just feel like if we only play the games we're comfortable with, how are we going to experience other games? Isn't that the point of this SOTM?

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Depends on the game and how good people are at it... last month's pick wasn't for me. Never really played Dragon Blaze as I'm not particularly good at Psikyo shmups. The month before when we had Gun Bird 2 - well I have that on DC but I'm shit at it on anything above easy so I wasn't going to bother posting my score.

I'm no hot shot at Blast Wind, but I've been meaning to get better at it, and this gives me some motivation :)

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
I should've flipped my vote to Aero Fighters 2 - I originally had in for that one, but thought Lightening Force would've been cool.

Think I can run Blast Wind. If so, I'm in!
... For me, if I can at least run the game, I'll participate as much I can (schedule permitting).
Yeah, THIS. These are fun. Sometimes I spend several hours running a game over the span of a couple weeks... and some times I make a couple attempts and get busy. No shame in throwing whatever you can do in an attempt or two, if you have the means to play but don't have more time.

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
I just feel like if we only play the games we're comfortable with, how are we going to experience other games? Isn't that the point of this SOTM?

Agree 100% - I've discovered some fun new games that I wouldn't have known about without SOTM.