SOTM November: M.U.S.H.A.

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
musha-sotm2.jpg
:glee:

I realize This game is broken, but I've never had the chance to break it personally. Looking forward to it!

Name | Score | Level | Version | Display

-3. Kidpanda | 134,250,470 | All | ? | CRT
-2. Dogg | 134,215,670 | All | Genesis | CRT
-1. Chosen One | 133,525,800 | All | Genesis | CRT
0. BlackaneseNiNjA | 133,153,930 | All | Genesis | CRT
1. daskrabs | 14,526,430 | 6 | Genesis | CRT
2. Ballz | 10,299,380 | ? | Genesis | CRT
3. c0nn0r | 7,293,970 | ? | Genesis | CRT
4. BerryTogart | 5,323,220 | ? | Genesis | LCD

Last edited:

c0nn0r

10 Year Member
OK, posting first score. As I mentioned. I've not really played this game before. 1st impression: it's easy! I got to level 4 or 5 om my first go.

WARNING: You need to have your camera ready when you are about to die, because there is no high-score screen in this game! At least, not one that I have seen yet.

c0nn0r | 7,293,970 | ? | Genesis
IMG_4158.jpg

Last edited:

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
lEgRj0k.jpg

Dogg | 6,283,350 | ? | Genesis

had a 7mil earlier but couldn't get the photo...

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member
20191106_191128.jpg
daskrabs 14,526,430 - 6 - Genesis

Last edited:

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member
Updated to specify Genesis, but is that necessary? It's only available on one platform.

c0nn0r

10 Year Member
Updated to specify Genesis, but is that necessary? It's only available on one platform.

Would be useful to know of someone is playing an emulated version, or if they want to show off and play the MegaDrive version ;-)

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
8a744a59d0299e72ed1961e35eb1a66d.jpg

Chosen One - 133,525,800 - All Missions Clear - Genesis

I’ve always loved MUSHA, so I’ve got a bit of playtime on it but it’s not a super difficult 1CC.

No score milking, just a normal run through, if that score looks challenging then know you get 100 mill for the last boss.

I tend to use the green weapon and 3-Way shot almost always. There’s a few spots you have to switch up your options but for the most part 3-Way is best.

Last edited:

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
I tend to use the green weapon and 3-Way shot almost always. There’s a few spots you have to switch up your options but for the most part 3-Way is best.
Thx for the input, I did play 2 rounds yesterday and wondered what people use. Also (I'm asking this rather frequently I feel): What is the hitbox in the game? The whole robot? And as no one else but me needs this info most of the time: "How do you find out where the hitbox is" (do you just start the level for some iterations and tests crashing into bullets with various parts?)

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
Played on the Genesis! Just edited that in by my score.

Hitbox wise it feels massive, I’d assume the entire mech. Not so bad though since one hit just takes your weapon giving you a shield of sorts. Options have their own hitbox and can take damage before being destroyed/replaced. Hitting a wall with an option is instant destruction of it.

Does the Japan/Asia Mega Drive Mini version count here? Or strictly original hardware? I'll join in on the fun either way.

Last edited:

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
Played on the Genesis! Just edited that in by my score.

Hitbox wise it feels massive, I’d assume the entire mech. Not so bad though since one hit just takes your weapon giving you a shield of sorts. Options have their own hitbox and can take damage before being destroyed/replaced. Hitting a wall with an option is instant destruction of it.

Thank you

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
Does the Japan/Asia Mega Drive Mini version count here? Or strictly original hardware? I'll join in on the fun either way.

Emulation is fair game - otherwise many ppl wouldn't be able to join in on some arcade shmups.

Finally managed to play 3 or 4 rounds in total. Nice soundtrack, I enjoy the basic idea of having 2 weapon systems and being able to upgrade both of them individually.
If I get it correct if you get hit and loose your subweapon (e.g.: green beam) and you do NOT switch in between the next time you pick up the same subweapon it will have the last level it had before you lost it. (can someone confirm this for me?)
I like this idea, as it gives you a "1-hit" chance to stay in the game. With all the (nice) parallax scrolling and changing backgrounds going on I wasn't immedately aware of the fact that I was intended to dodge walls in the level I died - that did cost me a life and I wasn't manage to recover.

While the "get hit once and still have a chance to recover" mechanic is something I enjoy, having to play "Ghost and Goblins" style (afraid to pickup a different power up) while dodging walls is something that could have been tailored for a bit of a better playing experience imho (keeping the upgrades when switching? being able to switch the subweapon too?)
Anyways, as the game seems to be considered on the easy side for better players generally it is not much of a deal and re-listening to the stage soundtracks is a good excuse to start over.

---

BerryTogart | 5,323,220 | ? | Genesis

musha (Large).jpg

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
While the "get hit once and still have a chance to recover" mechanic is something I enjoy, having to play "Ghost and Goblins" style (afraid to pickup a different power up) while dodging walls is something that could have been tailored for a bit of a better playing experience imho (keeping the upgrades when switching? being able to switch the subweapon too?)
Anyways, as the game seems to be considered on the easy side for better players generally it is not much of a deal and re-listening to the stage soundtracks is a good excuse to start over.

Just hop into your time machine and tell compile how to make a "better playing experience" then.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
While the "get hit once and still have a chance to recover" mechanic is something I enjoy, ...

There's another, even more important mechanic Berry, which helps you recover and power-up again nicely. You may have noticed the short invincibility time when you grab a shot power-up (Power Chip), right? It's even longer if you take a sub weapon item. This is how you avoid those nasty bullet waves the game constantly throws at you: Use that invincibility to fly into enemies at a high velocity and destroy as many as you can, as fast as you can. Grab another item and repeat. Don't attach yourself just to one weapon, you can always change it back afterwards, if necessary.

Edit: Another nice guarding feature has the Blue Special Weapon (Defensive Detonator) in its final phase. It fires some small blue plasma, if you hold the the button to fire the sub weapon, but if you'll trigger this button, instead of just holding it, it'll fire faster and more of those plasma shots, destroying enemies & guarding you from their bullets.

Last edited:

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Edit: old score

Attachments

• musha-sc-1.jpg
    musha-sc-1.jpg
    446.6 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
There's another, even more important mechanic Berry, which helps you recover and power-up again nicely. You may have noticed the short invincibility time when you grab a shot power-up (Power Chip), right? It's even longer if you take a sub weapon item. This is how you avoid those nasty bullet waves the game constantly throws at you: Use that invincibility to fly into enemies at a high velocity and destroy as many as you can, as fast as you can. Grab another item and repeat. Don't attach yourself just to one weapon, you can always change it back afterwards, if necessary.

Edit: Another nice guarding feature has the Blue Special Weapon (Defensive Detonator) in its final phase. It fires some small blue plasma, if you hold the the button to fire the sub weapon, but if you'll trigger this button, instead of just holding it, it'll fire faster and more of those plasma shots, destroying enemies & guarding you from their bullets.

Awesome info, thank you.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Edit for updated score. First attempt I uploaded was played on a Genesis Nomad. 2nd was on a Genesis:

BlackaneseNiNjA | 132,924,790 | All | Genesis

Also, since all the scores so far look about right for a standard 1cc, I’m assuming you’re not permitting us to leach/milk/boss score glitch? (shooting bullets on initial stage 1, stage 2 mid-boss glitch, etc)

musha-sc-2-v2.jpg

Last edited:

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Final attempt:

BlackaneseNiNjA | 133,153,930 | All | Genesis

Sorry for the spam; this is just one of my favorite shooters so I was enjoying the excuse to do a couple quick runs.

musha-sc-3.jpg

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Had to stop playing, life called...I find I like to use the bombs more and then the green lazer...

WGXI6AJ.jpg

Dogg | 14,669,130 | ? | Genesis | CRT

p.s. the music reminds me of Devil’s Crush...

Last edited: