SOTM October 2016 Gunbird 2

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
If I could beat the damn bird on stage 4 I could prob add 100k to my score but he keeps takin me out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NERDtendo

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
A little bit more progress tonight...

NERDtendo - 221,300 - 1-3 - Alucard - MAME

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member
daskrabs - 283,700 - 1-4 - Valpiro - PCB

IMG_20161006_175422.jpg

Not that great, but I'm getting there.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Been able to get some decent time on this the past couple days, so improved my score significantly:

egg_sanwich - 424700 - 1-4 - Marion - MAME

4440b51548d5e49c170f5c92b6c7a623.jpg

Just a few strategies I've learned along the way that help with scoring (in no particular order):
- Chaining coins is (obviously) one of the best way to up your score. However I've also gotten myself in bad situations trying to time them properly. Sometimes it's better to avoid a coin and keep your chain if you don't think you can time it properly.
- I didn't even realize there was a melee attack the entire first day I was playing this. The melee is quite powerful - use it to take out the large enemies before they spew the dense patterns.
- Don't rush into killing the bosses - shooting off all of the guns/turrets/limbs/pieces of the bosses adds a good chunk to the score.

I haven't had a chance to work in the gem heads into my routes yet, I'm still trying to learn all of their locations. Found this thread on Shmups forum with the locations you need to be to trigger them, should be an easy way to add a few more thousand.

My goal is to at least get the first extend this month, it seems within reach.

Last edited:

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
Bah, I've had it with this game already. Wanted to get at least to the first extend, but I guess I won't make any noticeable progress anymore this month.

suicidekiller - 395,400 - Marion - 1-4 - DC

img_20161010_123546xfa48.jpg

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member
Some good scores, and nice competition/participation this month so far, keep it up! :vik:

Bah, I've had it with this game already. Wanted to get at least to the first extend, but I guess I won't make any noticeable progress anymore this month.

Nah, there's always room for improvement. Watch a couple LPs, and check out the link posted earlier by egg_sanwich about the jewel head locations. I know I need to get some more practice in myself. I almost had that damn phoenix boss on stage 4 a couple times now already...

Last edited:

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
Yep, he's the main source of frustration ;) But don't worry. I'll pop the game in once a day or two as there is room for improvement, you are right. For now however I try to avoid chaining and the gem heads.

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
Slowly getting grip on the stage 4 boss. What a nasty mother****** ;)

suicidekiller - 428,600 - Morrigan - 1-4 - DC

img_20161013_124137miyzw.jpg

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
Some more progress. I noticed the hardest part of the stage 4 boss is not its second form. I really struggle with the first form. Any advice how to take out those side turrets near to the main body part of it? Once they start shooting plus the main mini bullets there is no other way for me than bomb :( Really annoying, but I haven't found a good way to take them out fast (and my melee bar is empty most of the time).
And where is the gem head spot in the Japan stage? I can't find it (and it's not mentioned in the thread posted).

suicidekiller - 455,000 - Morrigan - 1-5 - DC

img_20161014_11182644k59.jpg

A little bit more progress tonight...

NERDtendo - 221,300 - 1-3 - Alucard - MAME

Spoiler:

Nice to see that Donpachi instruction sheet on the right side of your cab. This is actually from the soundtrack CD of the game :)

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Some more progress. I noticed the hardest part of the stage 4 boss is not its second form. I really struggle with the first form. Any advice how to take out those side turrets near to the main body part of it? Once they start shooting plus the main mini bullets there is no other way for me than bomb :( Really annoying, but I haven't found a good way to take them out fast (and my melee bar is empty most of the time).

If you want to cheese it:
1) Destroy ONLY the 4 cylindar guns on the bottom that fire aimed shots. The side guns should not have appeared yet.
2) Stop shooting. Only the middle will fire, slow spreads that are not too bad. If you keep shooting the center the side guns pop out, so don't shoot at all.
3) The boss times out after a minute and the bird comes out.

If that's too lame, try destroying the 4 cylindars, then only shoot one side until that side gun is destroyed. If you shoot the center too much, both side guns appear at the same time and that is bad.

Last edited:

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
Thanks Jeneki for the advices how to beat the stage 4 boss.
Meanwhile...

suicidekiller - 489,600 - Morrigan - 1-5 - DC

img_20161014_141039v7z4x.jpg

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
Come on man, you can do it! I'm just 9,000 points ahead of you ;)

My main problem not to score any better (yet) is the beginning of stage 5. I don't have any training in it and you get the 3 big mech ones right in the beginning for which I have to develop a tactic yet. Maybe it's best not to melee the first left one and safe the attack for the other two. Dunno, will check it out tomorrow.

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
Come on man, you can do it! I'm just 9,000 points ahead of you ;)

My main problem not to score any better (yet) is the beginning of stage 5. I don't have any training in it and you get the 3 big mech ones right in the beginning for which I have to develop a tactic yet. Maybe it's best not to melee the first left one and safe the attack for the other two. Dunno, will check it out tomorrow.

That's where I get stuck too, the superplay shows him meleeing the first two together but I haven't tried it yet

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
05b22e640c1489aba97b8b7c78830245.jpg

Aaaaaand after working on it today just locked down a sweet run. Still got stuck in the same spot but really focused on not messing up my coin chain as often. Had it up to 15ish before I messed it up around the end of the second stage.

Chosen_One - 557100 1-5 Aine PCB

EDIT: a little bit better, edging toward the extend

Last edited:

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Had a Gunbird 2 party today. This game is a lot less infuriating when you take turns getting your ass kicked, play the Sega Rally Game Over sound clip whenever you finish, and do Street Figher II k.o. impersonations every time Aine does his death cry.

Gunbird2_Jeneki_442500.jpg
Jeneki - 442,500 - 1-5 - Valpiro - PCB

That's Kiel at 408k, I got 442k, and someone not on NG rocking 476k.

Last edited:

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
My PCB is on loan, so I unfortunately have to sit this month out. I did play a few credits on DC, but using a pad is just no good for me these days, got around 450,000 on st5 after few practice runs.

Keep it up guys!

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Getting there

image.jpeg

*went to the DC version cause I think it's better than the PCB