SOTM September Vote: Caravan!

September SOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
For September, let's do a caravan shmup! A caravan shmup is focused on a "score attack" design and a full game is often limited to 2 or 5 minutes.

Super Dimensional Fortress Macross II
Platform: Arcade
Developer: NMK
Hoizontal shmup with 10 levels, divided into an Easy, Medium, and Hard path of three levels each. The fourth and final stage is shared for all three routes. You can only proceed to the next stage if your score is above a per-determined threshold before time runs out.

Raiden DX
Platform: Arcade, PS1
Developer: Saibu Kaihatsu
Raiden DX is a vertical shmup, and a refined version of Raiden II. It includes a Training Mode, which is a 15-minute single level with only one boss right at the end. You can progress to a harder version of Missions Bravo and Charlie by playing perfectly, collecting all secrets, shooting down most enemies, and not dying or bombing at all.

Recca
Platform: Famicom
Developer: KID
Recca is a vertical shmup programmed by Shinobu Yagawa, who would go on to develop some very well-regarded shmups for Raizing and Cave. It is well regarded for it's difficulty, fast pace, and pushing of the Famicom's limits. If selected, we would track its Time Attack and Score Attack modes.

Blade Buster
Platform: Famicom (homebrew)
Developer: HLC! Project
Blade Buster is a vertical shmup that is regarded by many as the "new Recca" when it was released. Besides Recca, it also draws some heavy influence from Star Soldier. If selected, we would track its 2 Minute and 5 Minute modes.

Soldier Blade
Platform: TurboGrafx-16, PC Engine, Wii Virtual Console, Wii U VC, PSP, PS1, PSN, PCE Mini, TG16 Mini
Developer: Hudson Soft
Hudson Soft originated the "caravan" term form shmups with their All-Japan Caravan Festivals, so of course there has to be a Hudson caravan shmup on the roster. Soldier Blade is one of the best games in the "Soldier" shmup series, this vertical shmup looks, sounds and plays great. If selected, we would track its 2 Minute and 5 Minute modes.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Soldier Blade, fools! I'll participate in this. I was just playing this the other day.

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
+1 on Soldier Blade, it's probably the first shmup I ever played and it still holds up. Gosh bless my older brother for being a TurboGrafx kid growing up

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
Wow - never heard of Blade Buster before. Looks awesome! Wish I knew that before I voted for Soldier Blade