SOTM2 October 2022 - Fever SOS /Dangun Feveron

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Yeah, that's my question too, haha. This fuckin' game... If we thought missing a medal that every fourth flying enemy (usually) drops in Bakraid was bad, this game is a damn travesty.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
What did you do on stage 2 for that kind of score?
Yeah, that's my question too, haha. This fuckin' game... If we thought missing a medal that every fourth flying enemy (usually) drops in Bakraid was bad, this game is a damn travesty.
Are you all familiar with how the scoring system works in this game? Basically discomen are the only thing that matter for score. In each stage, the first discoman you collect is worth 1 point, the next one 2 points, and so on. However if you miss collecting a discoman at any point in the stage, your counter resets back to 1! In essence, you CANNOT miss picking up a single one of those dudes.

If things get hectic you can bomb to freeze all the discomen on screen, allowing you to pick them up. There is no real penalty for bombing, so use them generously to stay in the game. (Enemies killed by the bomb will not drop discomen, but a small price to pay compared to missing one). You can also die but keep your chain going so long as no men fly off screen.

That's pretty much all there is to it.

On emore thing, the faster you kill enemies and waves of enemies, the more waves will show up = more discomen. Speed killing is important too.

Some more reading here if needed:

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
ggallegos1 - Stage 2 - B/SPD4/Bom - PS4 - 267851
Screenshot_20221008-141345_Photos.jpg

Missing a single discoman is crushing, but I'm getting used to using the bomb charge shot to hit where i know the larger enemies will pop up.

Anyone try out the hidden character yet?

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
Thread updated! LMK if I missed anyone
What did you do on stage 2 for that kind of score?
Pretty sure the end-of-stage bonus is MASSIVE, like a sizable chunk of what you got within the stage. I forget the specifics, but when you finish a stage next time, look at the score shown prior to finishing versus the "stage score" on the in-between-stage score screen.
ggallegos1 - Stage 2 - B/SPD4/Bom - PS4 - 267851

Missing a single discoman is crushing, but I'm getting used to using the bomb charge shot to hit where i know the larger enemies will pop up.

Anyone try out the hidden character yet?
I had forgotten about the hidden character tbh. It's from UoPoko, right? How powerful is it?

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
With a code you can unlock a secret ship: the cat from Uo Poko, Cave’s arcade puzzle game from the same year as Dangun Feveron. At the title screen, hit Down, Up, Right, Left, Up, Down, Left, Right. You’ll hear a sound if you did it right, so hit start. You should know what you’re getting into, though… this ship is faster than the maximum speed of the other ships, and you have no bomb or special shot. Instead, the bomb button will switch between the three types of spread shot. You might not miss the bomb or special shots much since the cat shoots extra powerful, erm… squids? However, with no way to freeze the cyborgs you’ll have to rely on that extra speed to catch any that get away. One last thing, the Uo Poko cat is NOISY. He will meow every single time you hit a direction on the stick. This can get extremely annoying. The meowing also cuts off the announcer mid-sentence. How much nuttier can this game get?

From the HG101 article, some info about the hidden characters. I haven't tried them in years, but I am remember them being ridiculously fast and hard to control.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
From the HG101 article, some info about the hidden characters. I haven't tried them in years, but I am remember them being ridiculously fast and hard to control.
just like the way I like my women...
Spoiler:
waiting for some jackass to FTFY...men{/spoiler]

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
That really sucks because my PCB has a sound problem and ATM the only way i have to play this is via Mister FPGA, and i don't think you can play the patched rom. Such a shame...

The patched ROM works fine with MiSTer. Just overwrite the files packaged inside the feversos.zip file inside the games->mame folder on your SD card with the files from the patch.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
7O0IaE3.png

kuze - Stage 3 - B/SPD2/Lock - MAME - 661,280

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
The patched ROM works fine with MiSTer. Just overwrite the files packaged inside the feversos.zip file inside the games->mame folder on your SD card with the files from the patch.
Ok, i need help with this:

Inside my Feversos.zip i have a bunch of "CV01" files and "eeprom-feversos" file. Also have a "dfeveron" folder.

What i did was replace both "CV01" files on the root of the feversos.zip (U33 and U34) but seems like nothing changed. Should i also replace the eeprom-feversos with the eeprom-dfeveron that came with the patched file?

To me this doesn't make sense because there is already an eeprom-dfeveron inside the dfeveron folder.

What a mess,lol.

mmsadda

10 Year Member
Threads updated; LMK if there are any issues. Some impressive scores lately!

mmsadda

10 Year Member
MmSadda - 3 - B/SPD3/Roll - 591,328

My most recent run, I managed to not drop any disco guys through the first two stages (or at all, but didn't get far into stage 3)

Couple quick thoughts on this one
  • I wish there was a speed 2.5, as it's a bit hard to get to some disco guys on speed 2, and I find myself careening into bullets during tight dodging on speed 3. (I found 2 to be the lesser evil, though obviously some folks are playing very well on higher speeds, even speed 4.)
  • I feel like the stage 2 boss is a big barrier on this, like the stage 4 boss of Batsugun Special a few months back. Not quite as big a marathon, but it takes a long time to grind that one down and beat it IMO. But that's where a plurality (if not majority) of my deaths are. Anyone else feel the same?

Attachments

• IMG_20221020_182438109.jpg
    IMG_20221020_182438109.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:

djjimmyjames

NG.com Tattoo Artist.,
15 Year Member
This game is much harder than I thought. I have been sick for a few days So been hammering on it but nothing compared to the scores being put up by other members.

mmsadda

10 Year Member
This game is much harder than I thought. I have been sick for a few days So been hammering on it but nothing compared to the scores being put up by other members.
Eh, throw up whatever score you've got! Scores kinda scale almost exponentially within each stage, so long as you collect Disco men, so you're probably less far off than you think ;)

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
MmSadda - 3 - B/SPD3/Roll - 591,328

My most recent run, I managed to not drop any disco guys through the first two stages (or at all, but didn't get far into stage 3)

Couple quick thoughts on this one
  • I wish there was a speed 2.5, as it's a bit hard to get to some disco guys on speed 2, and I find myself careening into bullets during tight dodging on speed 3. (I found 2 to be the lesser evil, though obviously some folks are playing very well on higher speeds, even speed 4.)
  • I feel like the stage 2 boss is a big barrier on this, like the stage 4 boss of Batsugun Special a few months back. Not quite as big a marathon, but it takes a long time to grind that one down and beat it IMO. But that's where a plurality (if not majority) of my deaths are. Anyone else feel the same?
I recall reading somewhere that your hit box size changes with speed, eg. higher speed = lower hit box. But I can't find the source for that atm. Speed 3 seems to be that sweet spot for me right now.

Stage 2 Boss does take a while but just keep sending roll shots at it. And don't be shy to bomb through if you need to (better than dying, right?)

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
ggallegos1 - 2 - Uotaro - PS4 - 316906

I find Uotaro is easier for me, i know his speed is insane but you get used to it after a bit and it's easier for me to just not concentrate on secondary weapon shots and bombs and all that.
Screenshot_20221023-125533_Photos.jpg

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Post up, it's just for fun!

My update:

egg_sanwich - St 4 - B/Spd3/Roll - PCB - 1,900,266
20771517-341F-4545-8AE4-57B202993BBD.jpeg

The extend comes at 2000 (cumulative) discomen, so I was pretty close to that. I could maaaaaybe top the default high score board, but getting to stage 5 is going to be a stretch.

mmsadda

10 Year Member
OK, all up to date! Nice scores, folks!