Sports Thread

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
AFL Finals are starting tomorrow, CFL and MLB are getting closer to playoff time, College Football starts tomorrow, NFL starts next week, and NHL and NBA are around the corner.

I wonder how CBJ is going to do this season, lots of potential to make a decent playoff run with the additions of Gaudreau and Gudbranson.

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
i guess this is better than having a thread for each sport/league

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
CFL: Bombers gonna threepeat, fuck you
NHL: Avs gonna repeat, fuck you
NFL: Broncos gonna win the Super Bowl, fuck you
NBA: Nuggets gonna win the NBA championship, fuck you
NLL: Mammoth gonna repeat, fuck you
MLB: ... just fuck you

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
fuck you

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Thread says sports

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Say what you want about WNBA, at least they play on a full sized court.

The top level ladies GP series, the W series, is essentially a junior series, rather insulting, IMHO, the “girls softball” of F1. They bill it as having a low barrier to entry $-wise but history will likely show that it’s a ghetto nobody will escape from and it will probably go out of business tomorrow if it hasn’t already.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
UCF opening up the season strong with a 28-3 halftime lead. I have to say, I've never seen a punt being attempted well past the line of scrimmage before, but SCSU made it happen tonight.

Last edited:

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Hamilton moves further away from possibly getting a playoff spot. Just not their year. Injuries have decimated them. :(

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
I don't know much about sumo, used to watch some on ESPN2 back in the day. What channels/streaming services is it on now?
So, I don't watch it on ESPN or, even NHK. If NHK is available where you live, more power to you. I watch the shortened matches on YouTube. Nattosumo and Kintamayama usually have the matches up a couple hours after the top division is concluded. It's nice. Where as the top division would be around 3 hours to watch, their videos are about half an hour.

Also, I check Chris Sumo's channel for expert analysis and perspective on each days more memorable bouts. Highly recommend him. He is usually at the sumo arena and all the footage is his.

Be in it for the long haul, too. While it is a tournament, per se, there are no brackets. Each Sumo Basho is 15 days long and, whoever has the most wins at the end is the champion. (1 for each of the 6 divisions)

Jon

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Geelong started the season 5-4, but ended the season 18-4. They haven't lost since May. Now it's the two preliminary finals before the grand final. Matchups are as follows: Geelong Cats vs. Brisbane Lions and Sydney Swans vs. Collingwood Magpies.

These finals have been really good and there's potential for Geelong and Collingwood to have a rematch from the qualifying final two weeks ago. That game came down to a last minute goal by Geelong to clinch the game.

Attachments

• FcTI84CaIAYgcMa.jpg
    FcTI84CaIAYgcMa.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 1

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Avs got Evan Rodrigues. Roster looks ridiculously good right now.

Landeskog-MacKinnon-Nichushkin
Lehkonen-Rodrigues-Rantanen
Newhook-Meyers-Compher
Cogliano-Helm-O'Connor

Makar-Toews
Byram-Manson
Girard-E. Johnson

Georgiev
Francouz

And they still have cap space to make moves at the deadline if they have to.

The defense is easily the best six man group in the NHL. Last year Byram missed most of the regular season and they got Manson at the deadline, plus Toews and Girard missed some time. They spent a lot of the regular season with Ryan Murray and Kurtis MacDermid getting big minutes and old man Jack Johnson played 77 games. This year Erik Johnson moves from the #4 spot down to the #6 spot Jack had last year.

Rodrigues won't score as many points as Kadri did but they should make up for that with healthier years from MacKinnon and Landeskog, plus actually having guys like Lehkonen, Byram, Manson, and Cogliano all year instead of picking them all up at the end of the regular season. Two things Rodrigues does better than Kadri are skating and defense, though. He should fit in perfectly with the Avs' scheme.

The only real question mark is Georgiev. The Avs targeted him above more established goalies this offseason. They are taking a big risk on him, but the Kuemper, Francouz, Grubauer, and Varlamov signings were all looked at as big risks too and they paid off. The Avs have the best pro scouting department in hockey. Kuepmer wasn't very good at all in the playoffs and they Avs still easily won the cup. They are putting Georgiev out there behind a much better defense, so hopefully he can hold it down.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Rodrigues was a hard worker and a good skater for the Sabres a couple of years back, he'll fit in well in Colorado.

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
blue bombers lose to, possibly, the worst team in the cfl in an embarrassing fashion

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Geelong made quick work of Brisbane, but the Sydney-Collingwood matchup went down to the final horn.