Starcraft 2 - Has arrived!

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Ok I'm a complete RTS noob, I've never even really attempted to play one. How exactly are these games meant to be played competitively? Take me through a typical match.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I only ever really play "competitively" against my friends.

One majorly important thing though is learning the hotkeys for the race(s) you want to play.

That means using the keyboard to build units and structures so you aren't constantly looking at the little menu on every worker unit and building that offers something to build.

For example click on a Terran SCV, and then Hit the "R" key to build a refinery, Click on a Terran Barracks and hit "A" to build a Marine, etc

Really helps to get those down.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Rasim Delić;3034656 said:
Ok I'm a complete RTS noob, I've never even really attempted to play one. How exactly are these games meant to be played competitively? Take me through a typical match.

-use your first "harvester units" to find the other guys base and piss him off to slow down the rate at which he collects resources.

-use your resources to make more units who gather even more resources but up to a point you move on to basic attack units and barricading your base with supply depots.

-keep sending units as fast as possible to fuck his base and keep him from expanding, and if you're in a dead heat you will just keep moving on to more advanced units and tech at which point the guy who is more aggressive (and lucky) will catch a break and then fuck the other guy up.

-then the other guy will accuse you of using "hax" and say "gg, fgt" before disconnecting so his precious record remains intact.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Doing single player so far, enjoying the game though I'm not very far at all.

It's been awhile since I've played a Blizzard FPS. I'm too used to Relic's games (DoW, CoH, etc.)

BigFred

Neither Big nor Fred, ,
Rasim Delić;3034656 said:

A bit vague.

Do you mean that you don't know how they are meant to be played? or
You don't know what you're supposed to do in a competitive level?

All RTS games play in the same way. You gather resources and use the resources harvested to (create infantry/establish a base) to attack the opposing team. Winner is the team left standing.

To this day I still play "Warlords Battlecry 3". It's the RTS with RPG elements, pretty much the only one of it's kind.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
im in the whiny i hate activision i cant believe 1/3rd of a pc game with no lan support is $60 camp.

i might just play sc1 instead. or wc2 or 3.:emb:

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Fucking WoW...

At first I hated it, then I thought it was a necessary evil since it was financing free bnet service for their other games.

But now I fucking hate it again, since it gave blizzard an even bigger appetite for money and nothing else.
Eventually all of their games will require the internet and what will be a paid bnet subscription to install/run.

Somebody call Kan so he can masturbate to this: cause it's FUCKING GAY.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
i blame activision more than blizz's initial success with wow (when they were still independent.)

ironish

Dodgeball Yakuza
im in the whiny i hate activision i cant believe 1/3rd of a pc game with no lan support is $60 camp.

i might just play sc1 instead. or wc2 or 3.:emb:

Same thing, I'm sticking with SC1. I'm more pissed about the Internet connection required thing. I hate all of this DRM. I thought Blizzard would stay away from anything more than a CD key, but I guess Spore and C&C didn't teach them a lesson. Anyways it's funny to see all the 1 star reviews on Amazon.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Blizzard kinda dissappointed me by not releasing a single game post Diablo 2 that wasn't WoW.

Having internet to install the game isn't too bad...Oh well. PC gaming is fucked, and honestly this kind of stuff really puts me off from it, Console gaming is so much simpler, though pc gaming has more possibilities...

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Ratko Mladić;3035664 said:
Blizzard kinda dissappointed me by not releasing a single game post Diablo 2 that wasn't WoW.

2938.jpg

and its amazing

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
2938.jpg

and its amazing

Did I say D2? I meant War3 :emb:

And I agree.

Warcraft 3 was a great game and still is.

I don't feel like SC2 has taken the leaps and bounds that War3 did at the time.

But then again I don't know.

I really appreciate all choices you have with regard to your armory upgrades (As I believe you can't upgrade everything) as well as the research upgrades, and the decisions you are presented on some of the missions - they're all meaningful and this was a nice change from previous RTS titles.

I don't think the core gameplay of SC2 is anything new, but it's entirely solid single player experience so far. I haven't touched the multi.

EDIT: I guess I do appreciate the mission design - multiple objectives (with rewards for completing said objectives) and some of the mission scenarios are entirely interesting.

The zombie level with the night and day mechanic was fun, as was the level with the Train, the Zaratul and Tosh hero missions. A good mix of traditional RTS base building/attacking the enemy base, mixed with interesting missions objectives, and some of the more "hero" based missions. Good stuff.

Didn't War3 come out in 2002?

Last edited:

Jacen

Rugal's Thug
I'm up to mission 19 now in the solo campaign and am enjoying the heck out of it. You can definetely see the effort they put in to it. It's much better than Warcraft 3's solo campaign which I thought sucked.

Are people actually playing the solo campaign ? or just going straight to multiplayer ?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I bought the game for the solo campaign.

What I didn't like in War3 was the importance of the Hero unit in multiplayer.

It fun for single player, but I didn't like having to rely on such a powerful unit.

I haven't touched the SC2 multi.

BigFred

Neither Big nor Fred, ,
Solo campaign so far. It's pretty cool. Just done some of the protoss levels, the last one was epic - literally. I think some structures and units may be campaign only, I'll have to take a close look at multi. But I'll leave multi until I finish the campaign. So far so good.

BigFred

Neither Big nor Fred, ,
Beat the game yesterday. The game ends on a high note and then I read this message - Find out the fate of the zerg in part 2 of the trilogy "Starcraft 2: Fate of the Swarm"

It's going to take 2 more expansions before we get all the units. I'm assuming this is why the game was pretty much Terran only.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Beat the game yesterday. The game ends on a high note and then I read this message - Find out the fate of the zerg in part 2 of the trilogy "Starcraft 2: Fate of the Swarm"

It's going to take 2 more expansions before we get all the units. I'm assuming this is why the game was pretty much Terran only.

From what I read each addition will be like an expansion pack, adding a whole new campaign and also new additions to multiplayer like units and such. Most likely each expansion will take 2 years to happen.

aria

Former Moderator
I think it's actually Heart of the Swarm, but yeah.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
From what I read each addition will be like an expansion pack, adding a whole new campaign and also new additions to multiplayer like units and such. Most likely each expansion will take 2 years to happen.

It basically sounds like they're copying how Relic handled expansions with Dawn of War.

I hope the expansions come out every year.

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
So who wants to get their ass beat? Any Plats here?