Steam Deck Portable PC Games Hardware

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
I found this guide very helpful for getting PICO-8 running well on the deck.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I’m reading that the mouse support on the deck isn’t that great.

I was interested in playing some games using an external mouse, keyboard, and monitor but apparently using an external mouse is pretty wonky?

Anyone tried this?

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
I’m reading that the mouse support on the deck isn’t that great.

I was interested in playing some games using an external mouse, keyboard, and monitor but apparently using an external mouse is pretty wonky?

Anyone tried this?
I use an old 10-in-1 James Donkey usb-c hub (discontinued?) with a wired deathadder mouse and havit mechanical keyboard and I haven't had any trouble (https://www.amazon.sg/Donkey-Docking-Station-Display-Compatible/dp/B07TT21JX3)

I've also successfully used a simple usb-c to usb-a adapter with a logitech mk235 wireless mouse-and-keyboard combo.

I've only really used a mouse or a keyboard for desktop mode, though, so I don't know if there are any latency issues that might mess with your game.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I was reading the problem was specifically in games - that on some (most?) games with a wired or bluetooth mouse that the mouse simply did not work correctly, that you couldn't scroll across the full screen. I'll definitely be trying it out. I heard no issues with it working in desktop mode.

I just got my tracking # so I'll know soon.

EDIT: here is one example of the issues I was reading about. Read a few posts with similar issues by Redditors as well. Seems its something wonky in game mode between the external mouse and the trackpad/mouse emulation?

Last edited:

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Cracked it open yesterday. In the process of getting all the emulation to work on it.

Haven't tried a mouse or keyboard yet, but it's recommended to use bluetooth compatible ones. Makes me wonder if it'll create input lag.

Last edited:

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Yup, that's what I used. Got it mostly set up. In the process of Emulation Station scrapping all the game info, which is going to take a while.

Wish LaunchBox was deck compatible.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
66D78FFD-612F-4C36-BFB3-2151D9255A29.jpeg
I’m liking Retro Deck. It keeps my emulation stuff contained in the same Emulation Station interface that I’m using on my RG351p (running Amberelec).

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Delivery for my steam deck was estimated to be from11:55AM-5:00PM according to FedEx.

Knock on my door at 11:54AM.

Nice.

This thing is lighter than I thought it would be. The case is pretty nice too. Haven't even plugged it in yet, I was in the middle of lunch lol.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Pretty impressed with this thing so far.

Keep in mind that last time I gamed on PC was the release of Diablo 3.

Last handheld I owned was a Phat DS.

Kinda went a little crazy, picked up Stray, Vampire Survivors, and Hades.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Oh I guess I had a PSP lol. I forgot about that. Got it for Peacewalker. That was a great system.

This thing is pretty rad so far.

Anyone using it to play media or other stuff like that?

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
No but I was thinking of downloading a podcast app for it.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
I’m liking Retro Deck. It keeps my emulation stuff contained in the same Emulation Station interface that I’m using on my RG351p (running Amberelec).

I tried it out after noticing it had been added to the Discovery package manager, by the way. The configurations seem to have better compatibility with some of the more finicky systems than I've managed to get on my own. In the first stage of Mr. Bones, for example, Yaba Sanshiro has never rendered the characters for me, but they were visible when I did a quick test last night.

Just be aware that the program expects a particular directory structure, creating specific folders for your files (it does support sorting files in sub-directories). I already had the folder structure ready to go, since AmberELEC works the same way.

Like I said earlier, I don't really like the way Emu Deck integrates into steam OS. I've also had trouble getting the rom manager to run correctly. It's totally subjective, but Retro Deck is better for me.

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
For myself I am currently addicted to playing Valfaris a brilliant run n gun platformer.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
It took a few tries, but I did manage to use the Heroic Games Launcher (in the Discover package manager) to install and successfully run games from my Epic and GOG libraries.

If GOG games have native Linux versions, I install those and enable "use steam runtime" in the settings.

Windows stuff is more hit-or-miss, but I've had the most luck with recent versions of Proton-GE.

I've attached a photo of Celeste from the Epic store, using Proton-GE-Proton7-28. The photo is blown out and blurry, but the game looks and acts just like it would under steam.

Attachments

• epic on deck.jpg
    epic on deck.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited: