Steam Deck Portable PC Games Hardware

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Hey that's great it plays low tech console games. Wait until someone loads up one of those $5 simulator games, fills up the map with bombs and makes them all explode at once. Wondering if the actual handheld can be set on fire that way.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
I think it looks kinda dope. Battery life is going to be the big question for me.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
@Ajax

2-8 hours

8 hours probably only while browsing and not playing at all

Specs:

Valve has published the full list of Steam Deck technical specifications.
Operating SystemSteamOS 3.0 (Arch-based)
Display7-inch diagonal, 1200x800 px
Brightness400 nits
Refresh rate60hz
ProcessorAMD APU, Zen 2 4c/8t, 2.4-3.5GHz
Graphics8 RDNA 2 CUs, 1.0-1.6GHz
Memory16GB LPDDR5 RAM
Storage64GB eMMC / 256GB SSD / 512GB SSD
Expandable storageYes, microSD card slot
BluetoothBluetooth 5.0
Wi-FiDual-band Wi-Fi radio, 2.4GHz and 5GHz
Headphone jack3.5mm stereo headphone / headset jack
Charging input45W USB Type-C PD3.0 power supply
Battery40Whr battery, 2 - 8 hours of gameplay
Size298mm x 117mm x 49mm
WeightRoughly 669 grams

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
It's all going to come down to whether or not that control setup is functional/comfortable (trackpad, sticks, button layout, etc.). If it's at least decent, this thing becomes a way better "indie" machine than the Switch by default.

Edit; Actually, since you can dock it, it could make for a pretty good mid-range gaming PC/emulator box.

Last edited:

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I can see myself actually playing this. My steam library is bloated and I never seem to have time to sit at my actual computer to play.

But then again, I could also get an Oculus Quest 2 for the same price. 🤷‍♂️

Ajax

15 Year Member
Anybody scoop? Not that I expected anything else, but the whole thing was a shitshow.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I got a 256gb reserved...took a ton of patience. The Steam app kept shitting the bed. Then it said I hadn't been a member long enough to reserve, which is false - but obviously wires getting crossed in terms of how they deal with scalpers, so good on them!

Finally did it through the website after a few tries.

YMO

n00b
I was able to get the 512 GB version in my cart at 1: 03 PM EST. Was able to have order processed at 2:33 PM EST. Don't use Paypal, have to use credit card. Vavle knew about the volume but being neckbeards about it.

Ajax

15 Year Member
I got locked out for having too many purchase attempts, and thought I would lose out. The 256 stayed in my cart until that error cleared up though, which took about an hour, and I actually got it, it looks like.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
I got locked out for having too many purchase attempts, and thought I would lose out. The 256 stayed in my cart until that error cleared up though, which took about an hour, and I actually got it, it looks like.
That’s what happened to me and I wouldn’t have known that unless you posted this, thank you!

I switched to credit card too after a bunch of PayPal errors

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Gonna try to order after work. Don't know if they'll be available or not, but I'll give it a go.

Ajax

15 Year Member
Word, that's good news!

To anybody else who had it in cart and gave up, I've heard that Steam cart state is persistent for 72 hours, so could be worth it to try again, just a heads up.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Cool Device. Not in the market for one but with the amount of games I have on Steam, it would make sense to get one.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
While I agree with everything in the @NeoSneth post, I went ahead and reserved the 256GB model anyway.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
While I agree with everything in the @NeoSneth post, I went ahead and reserved the 256GB model anyway.
same, I also have the same excitement I felt around the Nvidia Shield handheld when I preordered it, which while cool...let's be honest, was a turd. I gave myself a brain wipe and am officially stoked for this new, shiny turd.

Ajax

15 Year Member
Lulz, but I don’t think you can lump this in with those other Steam devices. It’s a handheld PC, period. Worst case scenario, Steam stops supporting it and you’re left with… A handheld PC. The meme also conveniently leaves out the Index.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
701934.png

This "handheld" is bigger than the first Atari Lynx.

No thanks.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Joking aside, it actually seems like a good device. It's twice the cost of a cheap switch, but indie games on steam are half the price compared to the nintendo store.

All games will require controller config tho. better get used to that.

Also, most PC games do not have the same level of Auto Aim as their console counterparts. You cant crank it up to match console behavior.