Steam Deck Portable PC Games Hardware

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Man I forgot how nice it was that demos were a thing.

Been trying out Death Trash. It’s like a real time pixel art cyber punky fallout. Seems neat. In Early access though. Which I’m not sure what all that means for a single player game.

So I completed all the content that is currently in death trash. About 10 hours of gameplay the first time. It's a really great indy game, nice aesthetic, fun and challenging gameplay since most of my play through I could easily be killed my a group of 2 or more enemies. Unfortunately the game is early access...and single player so I'm just stuck at a progression wall until they release more content.

Almost wish I hadn't played it lol. Definitely another title to keep your eye on if you like the style and challenge of the original fallout titles or the wasteland games.

I really want to check out this brutal dungeon crawler, also in early access called "Stoneshard" but I am not buying any more indie games until I beat Symphony of War. I do not want to become a digital games hoarder.

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
Ive been playing Symphony of War: The Nephilim Saga.

It's a turn based take on Ogre Battle (it looks like Ogre Battle meets Advance Wars.) At first I was a bit cold on it, but as I've continued to play I've really been enjoying it. It's not perfect but there is a lot of content. I'm at about 20 hours (chapter 20) and I think there are like 30 chapters. Each chapter is a mission/battle, however, once you get further in the game there are side quests you can do, I just knocked out five. There is also some kind of challenge arena system that I haven't messed with, I think they may be random maps/scenarios of varying difficulty and greater rewards as well.

My only gripe initially was each squad you control seems to be made up of named story characters, some of whom (Diana) are fucking OP. I always like rolling my own squads and making my own comps, but lets face it - every time we get Cid the Thunder God in Final Fantasy Tactics we just can't help but use him because he's soo good.

The combat itself is all auto-attacks, ala Ogre Battle, but before you initiate you can self a few options (aggressive attack, cautious, attack leader, etc) to try and tailor the outcome. There also a lot of dynamics between different troop types in a sort of rock, paper, scissors fashion - for example Pikeman absolutely shred Cavalry, while Cavalry will stomp light infantry. Cavalry also can charge, light infantry suffers no move penalty in rough terrain and can do ambushes, etc. Game appears to be straight out of classic final fantasy with mages, guns, and even some dragons. And also a Rat Man mercenary, though I've encountered no other rat men yet lol.

Worth taking a look at if you're a fan of the genre. Story is pretty straight forward so far, an evil empire, backstabbing, and the inclusion of an outer god. I'm pretty sure the Dev grew up on all the same games we did.

I have encountered no issues with the game on the Deck, other than occasionally the game will load and appear blurry. Switching between windowed and fullscreen seems to fix that for me.

What's everyone's Steam ID? I have a few people from back in the day on steam like Eric, Wayne, ghost Dogg, etc but wouldn't mind adding more people and exploring libraries/wishlists.
Appleidog

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Tried out the Xbox Cloud Gaming Beta today. Nothing crazy to setup, just some tweaks to the Edge browser to run full screen and one download.

I have to say I was pretty impressed. I’ve never done any cloud gaming. It was really neat to have access to games on gamepass I don’t even have installed anymore on my Xbox and continue from where I last left off. In single player games latency seemed fine. I did not try any multiplayer though.

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
Tried out the Xbox Cloud Gaming Beta today. Nothing crazy to setup, just some tweaks to the Edge browser to run full screen and one download.

I have to say I was pretty impressed. I’ve never done any cloud gaming. It was really neat to have access to games on gamepass I don’t even have installed anymore on my Xbox and continue from where I last left off. In single player games latency seemed fine. I did not try any multiplayer though.
Nice I need to try getting the game pass to work I couldn't get any the joypad to work on it.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Ha nice controllers.

You also hooking the deck up to a monitor? I tried it the other day and was surprised how well it worked. I’ll definitely have to get a dock at some point.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Yeah, yeah, yeah, reddit but I did see this cool project a guy was working on with the steam deck:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/wsw8ru
Really clever use of the gyro, if you watch his video you can see his 3d printer going off in the background. Says he is working on a version 2 with an improved angle, and he has some ideas to work in resistance/return to center via springs on a further iteration of the design. Pretty neat, cheap and dirty racing controller.

And here all I use my 3D printer for is to print toys lmfao.

Any fun kart racing games on steam? Right now I've been playing Trackmania (2020).

Last edited:

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
Ha nice controllers.

You also hooking the deck up to a monitor? I tried it the other day and was surprised how well it worked. I’ll definitely have to get a dock at some point.
My dock should hopefully be coming tomorrow got the vevolver dock system.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I’m going to go broke buying indie games.

Guys…I never knew I needed a 2D Golfing Roguelike.

Check out Cursed to Golf.

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
Both Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racings are great and highly recommended. Didn't get into Team Sonic Racing but will give it another try. When Transformed was released I even preferred it over Mario Kart Wii.
My docking station came and it is fantastic, looks neat and does the job.4B678BFD-1350-4C34-979E-83A8E269CF08.jpeg

Last edited:

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Did Valve ever give an ETA on their dock? I had been thinking about getting that when it was released, but I don't feel like waiting forever for it either.

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
Did Valve ever give an ETA on their dock? I had been thinking about getting that when it was released, but I don't feel like waiting forever for it either.
It has been delayed/ put on hold.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Regarding epic games did you download from the desktop mode heroic launcher which can be found in the software database it easily runs gog and epic games.
Bah! Didn't know about this. Thank you!

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Any controllers folks recommend to use with this that have a thumbstick with precise microswitches a la the Neo Geo Pocket click-stick?

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
Any controllers folks recommend to use with this that have a thumbstick with precise microswitches a la the Neo Geo Pocket click-stick?
I would also love to know a clicky stick controller. Love my tiger controllers but alas no clicky.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Panzer Dragoon: Remake is $2.49 right now. 90% off.

EDIT: The FMV doesn't play on a standard install but according to ProtonDB launching with the latest proton experimental fixes the issue. Seems like a really great remake. I can't remember the first time I played Panzer Dragoon, but I must have been 10 or 11 and it was the most magical, mysterious thing I had ever seen. I had a demo and played the demo level over and over again until I actually got the game I think for my birthday. Really wish they'd remake Zwei, which is the best one in the series (though, Orta is really fucking good too.)

Last edited:

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
Anyone playing anything of note on the steamdeck I just finished Enslaved and am playing Beyond a steel sky.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Still fiddling with arcade emulation on it.

Also playing a bit of Cuphead.

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
i am currently loving the VHS filter on retroarch for that really authentic retro charm.