Steodown transformers yay or nay?

Terrella

n00b
Hi all,

Just got a cap on impress. Been doing some reading and I se people using step down transformers. Is this something I need running a Japanese cabinet in the US or is this an EU thing?

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
It's recommended using a stepdown for Japanese electronics in the USA.
I used a Japanese grey Saturn without one in the USA without problems but I maybe just got lucky.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
For some cabs, the IO components only want 100v, so 110 won't work (Vewlix comes to mind). It wouldn't hurt to do so, and they're fairly cheap

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I always use a 120 to 100v step-down for my Japanese cabs, especially the ones with Nanano CRTs (sega). Seems to eliminate a lot of weird issues, and they are cheap enough that you may as well.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
It depends greatly on the device itself. If it’s a OG Space Invaders or a tube amp yeah, absolutely. If it’s a Saturn or iPad you are straight up wasting your time and money as there is only one power supply world-wide.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I bought a 1500w stepdown with circuit breaker for like $150aud. For peace of mind with the Vewlix it's a small price to pay. That and I can literally throw anything at this thing.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
I use a stepdown with all my Japanese electronics as well. I've read people dismiss the 10v difference between Japanese and NA native power outlets, but personally, I'd rather not take the risk. The cost of repairing / replacing stuff against buying a stepdown is not a debate worth having imo.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Sometimes the extra 10V makes a difference, sometimes it doesn’t. That’s one thing and people can gamble if they want…BUT, if there is only one power supply world-wide “risk” isn’t a factor. If it’s rated 100-120VAC or 100-220VAC, which many products are, then conversion isn’t an extra step for safety…it’s just an extra step.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
NANAO tubes are maked 100V so I don't mess around. And if you measure your US outlet's they routinely fluctuate well above 110v easily to 120, at which point, 20% starts to press my comfort level.

But I agree completely if it's a device that says 100-240V input, or if it's a wall wart marked 100-120V then absolutely no reason. Larger stuff expecting 100v mains, you may as well.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I don't have a candy cab. The only thing I use the stepdown for is the X68000. It seems fussy about booting without it.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
I don't know so much with arcade hardware, but I don't think I've come across a major home console that allows for 100v - 240v input from the wall.

Not with the pack-in power adapters / leads - I appreciate there is third party options available, but as this is usually unbranded Chinese stuff I stay well clear.

My Sigma supergun allows for volt switching (110 / 240) but that's about it.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
The 12v PSU in a lot of mid-2000s HD cabs requires 100v power, so I use a stepdown with those. I also very recently noticed that on my MVU4, the sticker near the power cable says to use 100v power. I have not pulled the PSU to check the actual voltage ratings on it, for disclosure.

I've owned it for 17 years and have never used a stepdown converter with it. The horizontal IC did go out a few years ago and it was a pain in the ass to have repaired. Part of me wonders if using 120v power on it all these years sped up the failure of that chip. I don't know an awful lot about electronics, so this is just speculation. If anybody more knowledgeable has any insight though, I would love to hear it.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
No one asked but I run my 220v Hong Kong Sega Saturn on UK power of 230v no problem.

This information is in no way useful to your situation.

Lol… Steodown

skate323k137

10 Year Member
I don't think I've come across a major home console that allows for 100v - 240v input from the wall.
Home console, probably not; but arcade hardware it's pretty common place to have either the input selector switch or just straight up massive AC input range. Off the top of my head I can't remember which arcade PC, but vaguely recall a Ringedge or maybe X3 PSU which takes 100-240 without a switch.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
The 12v PSU in a lot of mid-2000s HD cabs requires 100v power, so I use a stepdown with those. I also very recently noticed that on my MVU4, the sticker near the power cable says to use 100v power. I have not pulled the PSU to check the actual voltage ratings on it, for disclosure.

I've owned it for 17 years and have never used a stepdown converter with it. The horizontal IC did go out a few years ago and it was a pain in the ass to have repaired. Part of me wonders if using 120v power on it all these years sped up the failure of that chip. I don't know an awful lot about electronics, so this is just speculation. If anybody more knowledgeable has any insight though, I would love to hear it.
My Net City and Blast City monitors always seemed less happy on 120V than 100V. I wouldn't run them without a stepdown anymore personally but like I said those tubes are NANAO tubes marked 100V.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I have a step down for Japanese stuff that’s rare but it’s mostly paranoia

MOST consoles are fine without it. The components will accept a range of voltages before there are any short or long term issues. Mostly it’s down to flexibility in the design.

This is for US / Japan only. Euro stuff…def need a step down!

Case in point I have my 3DO M2 FZ-21 “console” on a step down converter but a friend who is an electrical engineer just dismantled one and dumped the bios…electronic design is fine from 100-135V per his looking at it. So technically…I don’t need the step down converter. But I’m paranoid lol

But they certainly can’t HURT and they aren’t too expensive so even if it’s a placebo effect probably worth it

I say that and I’ve owned a Japanese Saturn that’s had 15+ years of gameplay on North American power and it’s been happy with it

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
No one asked but I run my 220v Hong Kong Sega Saturn on UK power of 230v no problem.

This information is in no way useful to your situation.

Lol… Steodown
Oi, fucker, stoo taking the oiss.

I've got an Asian Saturn myself, and it will 220v - 240v no problem - UK plug direct from the wall. Obviously I now have to use a step-up transformer being in the Great White North.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
. Euro stuff…def need a step down!
You mean step-up?

If you used a step-down in NA with a piece of UK hardware it still wouldn't work as the voltage would be even lower that direct from the outlet... lol...

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I never use them and never had anything die. If the foreign device can't handle American voltage it doesn't deserve to survive.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I suspect some manufactures would just make a adapter which works in Asia and the USA and stick a different label on both - cheaper because of economies of scale than actually factoring in a tiny voltage difference. But as others say, you decide on the risk yourself.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Home console, probably not; but arcade hardware it's pretty common place to have either the input selector switch or just straight up massive AC input range. Off the top of my head I can't remember which arcade PC, but vaguely recall a Ringedge or maybe X3 PSU which takes 100-240 without a switch.

In the era of analog transformer based power supplies it would cost more to build 100-220VAC 50/60hz supplies so you won’t see them in consoles until the modern era of chip based PSUs that can more or less handle the range without issue. Almost every USB-C wall adaptor is world-wide, for example. Most laptops are also, as are a lot of arcade machines and AT power supplies via switch.

Of course most consoles 16-bit and earlier have external PSUs so it really makes more sense to just replace that.

I’m pretty sure the Saturn PS is identical between US and Japan regardless of what the sticker on the back says. I haven’t been inside one for a while though.

In a lot of old AV gear aimed at Hong Kong they wound have multi range power supplies.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
All my stepdown converters are 110V. I have multiple US and JP consoles and never had issues. The output is more important and there is always some tolerance regarding mains voltage.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
My home power is amazingly precise. Always 120.0VAC. I think it’s because there are only one or two houses hooked to the same transformer…

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
In theory it's between 207V - 253V here. Voltage was increased but I don't bother using a stepdown converter for my German 80s electronics anyway.