Stranger Things - Netflix Series

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
We're 2 eps in, also loving it...also:

spoilered for pride, not an actual spoiler
Spoiler:
I was legit skeered towared end of ep 2, when mom's about to go in the room after the radio comes on - squeezed my wife's knee and yell, "just get out, you don't go in there Winona!"

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Just binge watched the entire series...

I liked it... good recommendation... of course, if it was shit I'd be forced to kill teh Op...

xROTx

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
Just binge watched the entire series...

I liked it... good recommendation... of course, if it was shit I'd be forced to kill teh Op...

xROTx

I did the same, after the 3rd episode I had to see the rest. Even started listening to music made by the guys who did the soundtrack although I can only handle it in small doses.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Best way do describe it is Super 8, but replace all of the homages to Spielberg with homages to Stephen King (even the Title Card uses the Stephen King font).

Those people don't understand "Lovecraftian". Everything about it is 80's thriller/horror. It's not mid century evil gods mythos.

While I don't know exactly what Lovecraftian means.

But the influences of Lovecraft are pretty obvious.

Rocko

Galford's Armourer
I started and finished this yesterday. Very entertaining and like already mentioned, lots of homages to 80's pop culture. The kids walking by the railroad track was an homage to "Stand by me" for sure. :)

SNK_Pro

Geese's Thug
Without a doubt the best thing I've seen on tv recently. The cast were superb, all of them. Though I think the badass 'one punch and you're out' chief was the best! A few ropey special effects couldn't take away the feel of movie quality. Just gutted there was no second season to jump straight in to afterward.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
would make for a good anthology series.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
I was sick the past few days, so I decided to binge on this between naps.
This is a really great show. It really feels like something lifted from the 80s right up until a certain point.

I wish they had used practical effects for the specific thing that broke the immersion, though. I suppose it was a budget thing, so I can forgive it, but now that a second season is confirmed, I hope they go with practical effects more. they mesh much better with the feel of the series.

It works for environments, especially how they used it in some parts, but not for moving "living" things.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
So watched the first and am definitely excited to see the rest. Reminds me "IT" meets the goonies.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I loved that they actually dropped a Stephen King reference in there while "ripping" him off.

Because that is exactly what Stephen King does. He rips shit off all the time, but leaves a citation within the plot (such as LOTR quotes in The Stand, Count of Monte Christo book in Shawshank, Wizard of Oz being discussed in the 4th dark tower book, etc.)

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
From a storytelling standpoint, I like that they essentially had 3 different interconnected groups of characters trying to unravel the mystery: The Pre-Adolescents, the Teenagers and the Sherif/Mother.

And they are so locked into what they are doing that they don't collaborate until the end.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Brilliant show, couldn't give it enough praise. Goonies meets aliens. Hopper is such a badass.

Wondering where they will go with season two though.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I loved that they actually dropped a Stephen King reference in there while "ripping" him off.

Because that is exactly what Stephen King does. He rips shit off all the time, but leaves a citation within the plot (such as LOTR quotes in The Stand, Count of Monte Christo book in Shawshank, Wizard of Oz being discussed in the 4th dark tower book, etc.)

LoneSage's pedantic dad.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Finished it last night. Start was better than finish.

Spoiler:
A lot of the initial nostalgia charms wore off around ep. 4. Though the metal pudding cups in ep 8 were legit.

Show really seemed to drag in the middle, eps 4-6 were slow and didn't have the suspense or action, save a few funny moments where Eleven made the kids pee himself, and snapped those 2 orderlies necks.

This show will benefit from the binge watch capabilities of netflix. The actual hangers episode to episode were not strong and this show would have struggled in a traditional week-by-week format.

All in all i'm ok with the ending, nothing terribly shocking though, definitely didn't leave me yearning for me - I was more than fine with it ending and if it had been 12 or 16 eps, we probably would have abandoned it around ep 6.

Rocko

Galford's Armourer
would make for a good anthology series.

It seems like season two will continue to follow the same characters.

Executive producers Shawn Levy and Dan Cohen told us season two would follow the same characters and introduce critical new ones. Season one ended with, as Levy said, “questions that merit future stories and future investigation,” especially regarding one key character’s surprising change in motivation.

http://www.slashfilm.com/stranger-things-season-two/

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I don't know anything about this. I'm interested by the hype.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I just finished this yesterday. I've been avoiding this thread in case of spoilers, although I see it's actually spoiler free. Anyway, I really enjoyed this a lot. I'm glad they kept it to 8 episodes, because like mjmjr25 said above, the nostalgia does start to wear off later in the series and I think it might have outstayed its welcome if it had gone on too much longer. It also kept the quality great pretty much throughout, it felt like a long film rather than something made for streaming.

I'm really looking forward to what they do in season 2. I hope they can keep the quality at the same level.

Newsdee

Rugal's Thug
I felt there were some loose ends that don't really make sense. I suppose it's a hook for season 2.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
Maybe the sequel will pick up 30 years later with the same characters and the monster comes back. Have to take care of "it" once and for all.

NO!!!

Fuck that idea.

Did you watch the show? Because that would be a horrible way to continue the story, at least that's my opinion.

Maybe later in the series, but not second season. I guess we'll see how things go.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
NO!!!

Fuck that idea.

Did you watch the show? Because that would be a horrible way to continue the story, at least that's my opinion.

Maybe later in the series, but not second season. I guess we'll see how things go.

It was a joke.