Street Fighter 3rd Strike - Q's Origin

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
I was flipping through some old manga from the 70's and 80's in a book store the other day when I spotted the spitting image of "Q" from 3rd Strike: Robot Detective K. I'm assuming "K" is what the 3rd Strike designers based the "Q" character on.

joker.jpg

The series "Robot Detective" was a manga first, and then I guess it was made into a TV show. The K character looks more like Q in the manga, but you can still see the resemblance in this pic from the TV series. Here's a link to a site with more information on the show:

http://incolor.inetnebr.com/stuart/rd/

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
great stuff. Q is one of the most enigmatic and interesting characters of any fighting game.

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
you could get laid more than spinmasterx if you had that costume this halloween.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Awesome find, this wasn't on wikipedia? someone add it.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
My hat is off to you man, clever bastard as always.

EDIT: I just found this- haha nice.

rdk1.jpg

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
tsukaesugi said:
I was flipping through some old manga from the 70's and 80's in a book store the other day when I spotted the spitting image of "Q" from 3rd Strike: Robot Detective K. I'm assuming "K" is what the 3rd Strike designers based the "Q" character on.
That is what I've always believed...that Q is an homage to the Ishi(no)mori comic. I'm a pretty big fan of that author. Some of his stuff is pretty subversive for kids comics...he was slamming the military-industrial complex nearly back to the time the term was first coined (maybe missed it by only a couple years)...certainly before it ever became a subject for comic books.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
i played as Q for a while when i had 3rd strike. one of those characters i'm no good with, but i enjoy using because they're interesting. i liked him. wasn't as cool as my favorite character in the game alex, but was pretty sweet in his own right. always wanted to know where he was from or why capcom never gave him any story just slapped him in there.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
sWP tick to cmd grab.

Q isnt as bad as people think, but he must be played in a very fucked up way to be really useful.

Youtube players Ultradavid and Kuroda. Kuroda is the god of Q.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Q's taunt is godly.

If he had more special moves I'd use him more, but as is, he's still one of my faves, up there with Makoto and Ibuki.

Last edited:

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
LoneSage said:
Q's taunt is godly.

If he had more special moves I'd use him more, but as is, he's one of my faves, up there with Makoto and Ibuki.

I love his Overhead Club, but it's too slow.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
cool.
does the manga character have more personality than the street fighter character?

Stephane

Boss Hogg,
i read about that 2 or 3 years ago in shoryuken or snk-capcom, doesnt remember, and i guess that s probably a "hommage" to this Robot Detective K.

Last edited:

E=MC2

Ass Troll,, Ignorant, , , , (Do Not Resuscitate)
Lord Wolfgang Krauser said:
sWP tick to cmd grab.

Q isnt as bad as people think, but he must be played in a very fucked up way to be really useful.

Youtube players Ultradavid and Kuroda. Kuroda is the god of Q.

kuroda actually owns with his Q. sigh, i really wish gouki didn't take damage and stun like a total bitch.

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
insaneben said:
For some strange reason, I always thought Q was Ginrei (from Giant Robo) in disguise:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=iabFukVEh38
Watch starting at the :30 mark.
Based on the tekkamen robot design from Babiru Nisei (see my post [#52] in this thread):D -- damn, but I love me some Babiru.

Note: in that old post, I mention Robotto Keiji, but my dumbass misinterpreted 刑事 keiji as deka -- leave it to me to not double-check my kanji interpretations before posting.:oh_no:

While I still lean a little more heavily toward the tekkamen design (partly because I'm such a nut for Babiru Nisei), the additional pics tsukaesugi linked to (especially ones like this):
detectives.jpg

coupled with the probably-better-known-ness of the Robotto Keiji character versus the tekkamen design, make him a strong contender for the title of Q's Design Influence.

Squint just right, and it looks as though Detective Shinjou is mugging Keiji.:p

--Chris