street fighter 4 iphone/touch

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
My iphone practically IS a dedicated gaming portable.

I've been playing it more in recent months than my psp. And it's now starting to get ports of DS and psp games (or ports of psp ports) that are the equal of the DS and psp versions, but for a third of the price. I don't think I've seen a game on the iphone yet for more than $10, and most of them are a lot less... Generally the $1-$5 range.

Really? What kind of ports do you mean? I haven't really heard of any.

I thought about getting a Touch for a while, then eventually dismissed the notion. Should I have stuck with it? I have to admit, I'm intrigued.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
If Iphone has a faster CPU and GPU, why do all 3D games look like watered down DS versions?

lol, you're either crazy or looking at games from last year. 3D games coming out now look WAY better than anything on DS.

Really? What kind of ports do you mean? I haven't really heard of any.
Check out the videos for GTA Chinatown Wars to start with. It has all the touch screen elements of the DS version, but with much better graphics... more like the psp version. Review and video (scroll down for video)

And GTA sells for $9.99 on iphone, which is the high end of game pricing in the app store (and they recently had it on sale for a weekend at $6.99), versus $19.99 on DS and $27.99 on psp.

Then there's Ridge Racer, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRWSR16K6sI which is basically the game released for psp, and again, much better looking (and better music) than the joke DS release. (here's a video of the DS version's graphics, framerate and music for comparison)

And they've ported the psp versions of the first two NES Final Fantasy games, with more supposedly on the way. Wes was talking about these in the other thread... His mini review:
Wow, I really like the game. I find it easy to navigate the menus, and the battle system is just genius. I don't regret my purchases at all.[/QUOTE]"]
Wow, I really like the game. I find it easy to navigate the menus, and the battle system is just genius. I don't regret my purchases at all.

Video of FF1 gameplay

Those may not be your type of games, but this is really still the beginning. I think we are just at the point the floodgates are about to open. I think when developers see companies like Rockstar making money hand over fist porting to iphone, even as cheap as the games are being sold for, there will be a lot more.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
lol, you're either crazy or looking at games from last year. 3D games coming out now look WAY better than anything on DS.

Check out the videos for GTA Chinatown Wars to start with. It has all the touch screen elements of the DS version, but with much better graphics... more like the psp version. Review and video (scroll down for video)

And GTA sells for $9.99 on iphone, which is the high end of game pricing in the app store (and they recently had it on sale for a weekend at $6.99), versus $19.99 on DS and $27.99 on psp.

Then there's Ridge Racer, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRWSR16K6sI which is basically the game released for psp, and again, much better looking (and better music) than the joke DS release. (here's a video of the DS version's graphics, framerate and music for comparison)

And they've ported the psp versions of the first two NES Final Fantasy games, with more supposedly on the way. Wes was talking about these in the other thread... His mini review:

Video of FF1 gameplay

Those may not be your type of games, but this is really still the beginning. I think we are just at the point the floodgates are about to open. I think when developers see companies like Rockstar making money hand over fist porting to iphone, even as cheap as the games are being sold for, there will be a lot more.

Wow, that sounds pretty damn cool. Sounds like I'll have to rethink that Touch purchase... Maybe I'll get one when they (inevitably) release a newer, better version.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I'll consider the option once I figure out how to fix a good arcade stick onto an iphone.

Geralds

Kula's Candy
Im sure the iphone/touch has lots of great game but the fact is why take 4 to 6 button fight and put it on a system with no button. Then you think about butting mashing on your touch screen could ruin it.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Im sure the iphone/touch has lots of great game but the fact is why take 4 to 6 button fight and put it on a system with no button. Then you think about butting mashing on your touch screen could ruin it.
lol what?

J. Max

judas,
I heard in August there might be Iphone for Verizon. I have Verizon too but I got an Ipod Touch for Xmas last year so I am enjoying the platform.

:mr_t:

I'll believe it when I see it. I've heard about a Verizon iPhone for years, and it's not happening any time soon. They're so into the Droid at this point, and they've slammed Apple in so many ads, that I'd expect T-Mobile or Sprint (T-Mobile most likely) before Verizon. (I think that there is already a European GSM iPhone that works on the T-Mobile bands in Europe. It would be no problem to bring it over to the US, except for the exclusivity agreement.)

Geralds

Kula's Candy
kinda a little late imo. The consoles are already getting ssf4 with mare character and better game play. Why even have sf4 on the iphone/touch?

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
kinda a little late imo. The consoles are already getting ssf4 with mare character and better game play. Why even have sf4 on the iphone/touch?

What a stupid question. You might as well ask, "why even have ANY game on your phone?" Can you put the PS3 and television in your pocket and play SF4 while waiting in line at the dmv? No? During the 10 minutes in-between classes or on break at work? No? Well then that's why.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
well true makes sence there but why not wait for ssf4?

On the phone? If they couldn't put all the SF4 characters into one phone game, what makes you think they'll even have a SSF4 iphone game?

Geralds

Kula's Candy
the point as you said was to make it portable tho. So in that sence wouldnt it be better to just wait a little and port ssf4 then just plain stf4

J. Max

judas,
the point as you said was to make it portable tho. So in that sence wouldnt it be better to just wait a little and port ssf4 then just plain stf4

It's not coming and there's no indication that it is. Bad argument.

beigemore

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
I just can't see myself ever playing a fighting game that doesn't have tactile buttons. I bought Final Fantasy 1 for iphone and it turned out better than I thought it would, but even then there still control issues.

Geralds

Kula's Candy
sounds interesting to try out. Needless to say that what other fighter are relly out there for this i meen persay street fghter 4 cant be the onlyone can it. i still dont get the hole idea with street fighter 4 on the iphone but i guess ill just have to try it out.

-Hibikster-

Bead Banger
They just released an update yesterday which added two characters (Zangief and Cammy).

I did a serious in-depth review on this game, complete with over two dozen screenshots after the update was applied. The game is surprisingly fun as hell.

LINK

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
The game is surprisingly fun as hell.

I was surprised, too. Way better than I was expecting. Glad to see the update is finally here (and with an extra character!)... I was starting to wonder if it was going to happen; they announced it so long ago.

migo

n00b
What really improved the experience for me is when I discovered the button configuration option, made it a lot easier to land special moves without special move assist. Also, unlike SFII on the SNES, it actually has tutorials and move instructions (I dunno, maybe it came in the instruction booklet with the SNES that I never had getting it second hand) which reduces the tendency to button mash.