Street Fighter Alpha homebrew for Mega Drive

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
For anyone to hasn't seen it yet

Along with the homebrew Final Fight port, definitely interesting work being done. I wish the author the best of luck but this seems like a very daunting and intensive project to take on. I'd maybe have set my sights on something less complex.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
“Nothing useless can be truly beautiful.” - William Morris

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Impressive. SFA2 was possible on SNES, so, SFA on Genesis is a realistically obtainable goal in my opinion. Hell, Capcom did it on GBC!

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
All of these "proto ports" look interesting untill you realize they never get done 100%.

If only the Shinobi one went through...

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Impressive. SFA2 was possible on SNES, so, SFA on Genesis is a realistically obtainable goal in my opinion. Hell, Capcom did it on GBC!

At some point you have to give up. You can’t port Skyrim to the TI-85 without remaking it into something completely different. No GBC version of any 90s arcade fighting played anything like the real deal. It’s nearly false advertising to say that Toshinden or Samurai Showdown exist on GB. If there is basically zero threshold for success then sure, they ported Mortal Kombat to Gameboy, sure, but they didn’t really because it’s totally impossible.

The SNES version of SFZ2 was garbage, also it was the last port of the era and the worst and the most expensive. A strange release to emulate. I would hope an MD version would be better, honestly.

Last edited:

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Ports aren't always one to one, but if you expect all or nothing, that's on you. Is that why you believe there's zero threshold for success when a port is accomplished?

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Ports aren't always one to one, but if you expect all or nothing, that's on you. Is that why you believe there's zero threshold for success when a port is accomplished?

It doesn’t have to be all or nothing. Every port of KOF on 32-bit systems had some issue or another, yet most were still playable by KOF fans. However when Mortal Kombat was ported to Gameboy, yes, there was nearly zero threshold for success. “Make something that runs that we can legally call Mortal Kombat” is pretty much no standard at all. Double Dragon on 2600 is in the same category, as is the Tiger LCD version of Panzer Dragoon. The only way any fan of these games will have fun with such horrible non-ports is if name recognition alone is the only thing they need to have fun.

@M

20 Year Member
MK1 on Gameboy was pretty awful, the horrendously slow gameplay was the real killer, but, they did do a better job on MK2. The Nettou GB fighter ports are different, but, I like them. I think SNES SFA2 is a very good port, all things considered. No, it's not arcade perfect, but, I had fun with it.

I'll agree that some ports probably should have never been attempted, but, even if something isn't a 1:1 adaptation, that doesn't mean it can't be fun.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Yeah, it can be a load of fun, but only if in the process it transforms into another game that is fun, like Mighty Final Fight. A fighter with half the buttons gone and most of the characters missing is just a shitty version of that fighter. Rampage on 2600 for another example is just…missing everything.

How do you play Mortal Kombat without a block button?

@M

20 Year Member
I haven't played them in many years, but I believe that the GB MKs used Start for block and maybe Select for run in MK3? Certainly not ideal, but blocking wasn't absent altogether.

And some of the Nettou games had tap or hold A/B for stronger/weaker attacks I think.