Street Fighter VI

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
gamereactor said:
Will Street Fighter VI be revealed next week?
A mysterious countdown from Capcom makes us hopeful for that, Resident Evil 4: Remake or Resident Evil Village DLC.

Last week, usually trustworthy Imran Khan claimed that Capcom is making some big changes to the yet to be confirmed Resident Evil 4: Remake and that an official announcement is set to happen within a few months if everything goes according to plan. Seems like we won't even have to wait that long for exciting news from the Japanese company.

Because Capcom has started a mysterious countdown for 6 AM GMT/7 AM CET on February 21. The design is very neutral and ordinary, so it's difficult to predict what it's for. Unless you consider the timing, as the Street Fighter V Pro Tour finals will end around that time. What better way to finish things off than unveiling Street Fighter VI? Street Fighter V director Takayuki Nakayama did say we'll learn about the "next Street Fighter project" sometime this year after all. Still, there's also a small chance that it's just weird timing and we're getting the official unveiling of Resident Evil 4: Remake or news about the
free DLC for Resident Evil Village. My bet is something Street Fighter-related, however, so don't get to hyped if you prefer zombies over fighting.

Countdown:

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Counter has 6 days and lines up with what would have been the capcom cup. Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to know this is SF6 announcement.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
It certainly makes sense but Capcom's been super quiet about it so it could just as easily be a stupid cross-marketing campaign announcement or a Street Fighter 35th anniversary "We're doing jackshit!" announcement. Wouldn't be the first time the internet's gotten itself all in to a tizzy over nothing.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
While an SF VI would be fun, I'm hoping for the official announcement(and release date?) for Resident Evil 4 Remake.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
If that's the case, I hope they make some major visual changes to it. SF4 and SF5 looked way too similar.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Probably their best bet. Going the other way with an ultra-realistic look like a Netherealm game would be really weird.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
V was going to be realistic looking if you view a few of the development pics

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I hope they do something different, although most character designs just fucking suck nowadays. I despised the art style of IV, and the new characters were so uninspired

Fygee

20 Year Member
I kinda dig it. With some refinement it could have looked really cool.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
5 is super hit and miss with character designs. Some of the new characters were incredible design and gameplay-wise. Menat and G both would've fit perfectly in any of the old games but some of them were terrible (Luke, Ed and Falke suck, a lot of the hair looks terrible and as much I liked the idea of FANG, he ended up being a poor fit for the rushdown-heavy focus of SF5). I hope they do something drastically different but just releasing a product that feels finished and not a fucking broken mess would be a good start.

I'm not as down on SF5 as a lot of people are. The gameplay rounded itself into shape over the years and I don't personally give a shit about single-player content. That said, it was a huge mistake to all but ignore that part of the game early on as not everyone plays fighting games for the competitive aspect. And they REALLY need to get the online infrastructure right. SF5's rollback was fucking doo-doo from day one and while I never had a ton of issues with the game on that front, that shit was widespread and just unforgiveable at this stage. Fighting games in general just need to do better. Dramatic Battle modes, fun single-player stuff to do (Tekken Force? Ways to make training and learning game mechanics fun and not just informative? Arcade Modes that are more than just fight 8 characters and then a boss, etc.), more ways to play with and against friends, more things to do while waiting for online matchmaking, better online matchmaking... just more creativity all-around.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
That presentation made me wary of where they are taking this visually. Street Fighter is going fully western it seems, doubling down on what they started with MvC4.
Early days ofcourse, but even the logo hints at such a thing. Getting some DMC vibes too. The tude is going to be set to max.
As it stands no one making fighting games these days have anything exciting in the works it would seem. I hope I'm wrong

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I loved IV. I didn't get to play much of V since I didn't have a Bone or PS4, but it did feel slower / less hectic than IV. I'm looking forward to spending more time on it when I get PS5. From what I've seen, it did get a bit bloated as new editions came out.

This...I don't really like the graphics or art style. If I saw that teaser with no context I would've thought it was for a Tekken game. I do like that Ryu looks a lot older in this. I kinda wish they would have done an Alpha 4 instead.

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
Loved IV - I put in hundreds of hours across all editions. Lots of room for the combo architect to have a field day with all the crazy 1 and 3 frame links. Hard, but satisfying to master - especially the low-tier underdog characters like Vega.

Hated V. I honestly have a hard time getting why people enjoy it. That said, I'm happy to give VI a shot. As @BlackaneseNiNjA put it, I'm willing to try it out as it's the gameplay in a fighter that hooks me, not so much the graphics. A nice coat of paint is helpful, but I'm a mechanics dude first and foremost. If the mechanics grab me, I'll happily put some time in.

That said - WTH with Ryu's foot!? Like, why was that even a thing? Does the producer have a foot fetish? It's like Capcom saw all the pictures on the forums here with people's feet in them and decided to put that in a trailer.