Street Fighter VI

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Some people just don't have time because of other responsibilities. Some people just stop because they think that's what adults are supposed to do (but still waste hours a day watching television or doom-scrolling on their phones).

"Mega impressive 2D" is a colossal waste of time and money. People seriously need to stop with that shit. Stuff like the Guilty Gear/Dragonball Fighterz look is as close as you're going to get in a big-budget game.

Also, SF6 looks significantly different from 5, design wise.

View attachment 59853

View attachment 59854
Good post

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Nah it's some weirdass uncanny valley Macklemore ogre thing that just gained sentience and wonders if the way it looks is racist for Brazilians.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Some people just don't have time because of other responsibilities. Some people just stop because they think that's what adults are supposed to do (but still waste hours a day watching television or doom-scrolling on their phones).

"Mega impressive 2D" is a colossal waste of time and money. People seriously need to stop with that shit. Stuff like the Guilty Gear/Dragonball Fighterz look is as close as you're going to get in a big-budget game.

Also, SF6 looks significantly different from 5, design wise.

View attachment 59853

View attachment 59854
DBZ Fighters did look beautiful. I agree it's as good as it gets. Thank God they got rid of potato face Ken.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
holy fuck @ dat blanka face

So SF6 has a thing where you can make faces with the characters by pushing buttons during the loading screen (like in Soul Calibur?) so Blanka doesn't normally have that derp face but he does look weirdly Orc-ish in this more western art style. Or like classic King Kong.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
OMG I’m tempted to get this just to play with the faces and take stupid pics.

So can you buy a ps5 yet or still no?

100proof

10 Year Member
In stores? Almost never. Sony's been direct-selling them through their website though and they seem to put out a batch every couple of weeks.

More "game faces" (start at :55 to avoid the yapping "influencer"):

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
So I've been watching footage of the beta and while the gameplay seems to be very solid and the game certainly looks better I thought it would for the most part (especially the backgrounds) that hub world is a fucking mess.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
I been watching some live streams for the sf6 beta for that hub world all i gotta say is the there create a avatar is cursed :oops:
:oops:

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
So I've been watching footage of the beta and while the gameplay seems to be very solid and the game certainly looks better I thought it would for the most part (especially the backgrounds) that hub world is a fucking mess.
A local buddy of mine got in the beta and I got to spend a good amount of time with it on Saturday. For the record I was not a fan of SFV, and this was a breath of fresh air. Snappy, slick gameplay that reminds me of Third Strike. Exhaustion meter and dash cancels are fun as fuck once you get them down. Guile (my main) is a fucking beast. I can go on. It's a great game thus far and much further along in development than I had hoped.

As for the hub world, I didn't find it much of a problem. It sucks if you're using a stick and don't have a controller to pan the camera, but that's a small gripe. It's a visual representation of a menu, just like GG Strive. Like it or not that's what the kidz want these days. Sure, I still want a simple fucking menu, but there are some cool flourishes, though - like jumping into an excellent training mode while you wait for a match (somebody to come join your cab), choosing to spectate matches, etc.

The best part about the hub is the retro section. Each day Capcom puts a classic arcade game of theirs up on the cabs. Saturday it was my beloved Magic Sword. When you play a retro cab you can:
  • Play the game solo: Two modes - Unlimited Credits OR 1CC high-score attack with leader boards.
  • Play the game until you find a match.
  • No online co-op for the retro stuff, which is a bit of a let down.
All in all, outside of Luke's awful design and his Popeye arms, I was doubly impressed. Certainly more impressed than KOFXV even in this early state.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Juri is still the only "new" character with a design I like.
I hope C. Viper comes back.
Game doesn't look so hot to me so far, it might be a $20 bargain bin pickup...
I skipped V, is it worth getting?

Last edited:

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
I skipped V, is it worth getting?
No unless you play online. I only used it to test arcade sticks when I modded them. Endless grind in single player but at least they added an arcade mode. It's better now but the release state was a joke.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
At this point I'd say go hard on cel shading (way more than snk is doing) or just call it a day. 3D models in 3D fighters is what they need to keep pushing at any rate, make them ever more interesting.
Fighterz basically convinced me there is another way and it may be the only real way nowadays. It won't happen any time soon but I will hold out for a new Alpha/Zero to go this way.
I just feel 3D style graphics in traditional fighting games is just not really sustainable. A very different visual language

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Yeah Fighterz is amazing looking, it's baffling why Capcom and SNK insist on making these weird plastic action figure looking characters.

I don't care how much flair or lame ass razzle-dazzle hit effects you put on top, that just looks like spin art.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
My guess is they do it that way because it's a bit cheaper.
FighterZ looks like it was made by fans for fans, is that game good?

100proof

10 Year Member
More characters, game coming June 2nd.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Anyone get into round 2 of the beta? I got in, played a few matches. Won 2, lost 2. I thought it was going live this evening at 8pm but I misunderstood, it went live at midnight last night.

Haven't had much time to play except on my lunch break. It's not too bad.

Looks like they might be trying to streamline the controls, I think. Base control settings were just light medium heavy *attack*, not kick or punch. But you can set it to legacy format and have 3x punch and 3x kick.

Playing it on my cab also affords me to have the parry button and (focus?) button set to the 4th and 8th buttons on my cp.

My cabs PC isn't super ultra modern, it's got enough juice to play the game without issue so far. It feels stiff, but that could just be me. I'm not really a good SF player.

The online "lobby" is different. It's like a small arcade with VS city style cabs in it and one person sits down and that is how you await a match. 2nd player sits down and off you go.

But it has you select a fighter before even entering the lobby, so when you fight, you automatically have that fighter selected, instead of having a fighter select vs screen.

Not sure if that's how it will be in the final version, but maybe?

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Looks like they might be trying to streamline the controls, I think. Base control settings were just light medium heavy *attack*, not kick or punch. But you can set it to legacy format and have 3x punch and 3x kick.
WTF?

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Yeah, when I first went in there it was weird. Looked at the controls and it looked like LMH only, and there as a button for LK+LP, then one for the other combinations. It was labeled "modern" or something like that, I'm not in front of the cab right now. But maybe they were/are trying something similar to Capcom vs SNK EO or something.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Day one purchase for me cause of kimberly

Im a shoto guy through and through (I told you im not that good). But I tried out Kimberly and shes surprisingly a lot of fun. I dont like her little kid face, but I guess she's the new Sakura?

Shes a lot of fun and has some really god misdirect moves.

After a little while of playing I realized there's SORT of a Killer Instinct vibe here. Not so much "hit one button and you get a 90 hit combo" vibe, but you can sorta dial in a combo - actually it feels more like MK3/UMK3 with chaining the buttons. Supers are flashy af. I have to say I do like the new whatever its called, the focus move. Whatever you get when you hit HK and HP at the same time. Gives you like a second of hyperarmor and you can cancel out someone's attack.

I guess thats the focus? I never really used it in SF4, and honestly havent put much time into SFV.

I tried out Juri, I liked her in SF4, but not so much in V, and she seems more like the V version. So far of the new characters, Kimberly is the one I like the most.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I used Luke a little more today and I like how he plays too. Kinda reminds me of Sean mixed with... what was that dudes name from SF4, Abel?

Hes got a fireball and dragon punch but they are more of his own style. The fireball is almost instantaneous, it doesn't really travel. His DP is just about the same (to me) to the others.

So far the one I don't like all that much is the Hwa Jai impersonator.