Stupid Supergun Question

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
The term "supergun" is so weird. My Google-fu is weak and I haven't been able to figure out where the name comes from? Does anyone know? Better yet, are there any good articles about the history of superguns in general? I remember seeing ads in magazines for them maybe in the late 90s but I didn't really know what they were at the time.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
From what I've been told, Supergun was the brand or name of the very first one available on the market. So all devices since have been referred to as Superguns. Similar to Scotch tape or Kleenex. I have no actual source tho, so take it with a grain of salt. ;)

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
They also go by arcade control box or jamma control box.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
The term "supergun" is so weird. My Google-fu is weak and I haven't been able to figure out where the name comes from? Does anyone know? Better yet, are there any good articles about the history of superguns in general? I remember seeing ads in magazines for them maybe in the late 90s but I didn't really know what they were at the time.

No idea on the origins, other than posts on Arcade Otaku referencing the "Iraqi Supergun." Come to think of it, that forum's where a lot of my supergun info comes from. No articles though, but this thread is a good read.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
From what I've been told, Supergun was the brand or name of the very first one available on the market. So all devices since have been referred to as Superguns. Similar to Scotch tape or Kleenex. I have no actual source tho, so take it with a grain of salt. ;)
This is right, they were advertised in game magazines in the early 90s such as Gamefan.

bc78068aa3ea4cc200ea99c9b9c3.jpg

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Ha, cool! Still a weird name, though.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Military term that was co-opted by one of the original builders and it stuck.

CZroe

Zero's Secretary
Not sure where, but I got the impression that Datel sold the first commercialized Supergun and named it that. After reading this thread, is everyone saying that the name predates Datel's use?

https://youtu.be/LVUljwPv734