Super Metroid is the best game on the SNES

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Even back in the day it was always up there but playing it again now on the Snes mini alongside the other great games like Super Mario World, Mario kart, Lttp, ff6 etc I think it holds up better 20-25 years later.

Discuss, faggots.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
20-25 years later we learnt to appreciate the emptiness inside of us and this game is nothing less than a love letter to solitude. Crying on the Mega Drive also captures this feeling. I agree, games that get better with age.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
one of the best games of all time. even a good competitor to symphony of the night imo.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
even a good competitor to symphony of the night imo.

Personally, I think it surpasses SotN, because it stays true to action-adventure mechanics, offering energy tanks instead of an exploitable grinding system. You can't trick the system of a Metroid game by earning yourself enough hitpoints to make the whole game too easy. You can in SotM, which rather parodies action-adventure canons, in order to emphasize its, admittedly, more thought-provoking story.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Super Metroid is definitely up there. Being able to customize your difficulty with how many energy tanks you want,sequence breaking, and advanced unintended mechanics makes for a lot of replayability.

Last edited:

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
I'd have to replay both to be sure, but Super Castlevania IV may have had the edge back then. Very close either way.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Even back in the day it was always up there but playing it again now on the Snes mini alongside the other great games like Super Mario World, Mario kart, Lttp, ff6 etc I think it holds up better 20-25 years later.

Discuss, faggots.

What's there to discuss? It's the best game on the system and one of the best games ever made. Shame Nintendo seem hell bent on ruining Samus.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Shame Nintendo seem hell bent on ruining Samus.

100% This, fuck 3D Metroid, fuck 2.5D Metroid with melee gimmick and shit graphics, and extra fuck motion control Metroid.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member

I should probably play Super Metroid at some point.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
What's crazy is that I had SNES and SFC since they came out and Metroid games always seemed boring to me having never played one back in the day. Thought exploring endless laberinths seemed stupid.

So about 10 years ago by chance I got my hands on a Super Metroid and thought to myself whatever, let's see what this is all about.
I was blown away. No nostalgia, no "it's old so it's better" factor here. I was drawn 100% in through a perfect combination of mechanics and atmosphere. Can count the amount of times that has happened on one hand. Kind of a miracle in fact, I am no fanboy of anyhring and Metroid never ment anything to me.
So yes, I agree. Though Final Fight is my favourite game of all time, Super Metroid is the best game I have ever played.

Last edited:

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
I had Metroid II on Game Boy and played it somewhat, but for some reason when Super Metroid came out I got it right away and is stil my favorite game to this day.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
I guess out of all the SNES games I've played. That is the one I've gone back to and played the most. I liked LTTP but I didn't feel it had the replay value that Super Metroid does.

Also, I tried playing it on a modern TV with a few different setups and It sucked ass due to the lag as I couldn't ever get the wall jumping to work right. Back on my old crt, no problem. It has great atmosphere, the challenge level was just right, I got a feeling of accomplishment when I went through it the first time.

So back then, I went into a local used movie, game, book place and was going to trade in some SNES games, one of them was MKII.
Back then at that shop, you bring your games in and the guy at the counter would look at them and pop them in a system to test them and then tell you how much in trade you could get. Usually it would take a bit so you would just look at shit until they made you their offer.

I took my games in and the guy at the counter took them to price check and test while I went to look at the game case. I could hear him talking to a woman who was already in there. Seems she had her kid and they were looking for MKII and had games to trade, but the shop was out of that title. So the guy was telling her he just got one in and was in the process of trading my game off to her for all the games she brought in.

I thought that was kind of a dick move to trade my shit off before they even made me an offer on it, so I went back over to the counter and was like, I couldn't find anything I want. The guy was kind of like.. uhhhh, when I asked for my shit. I take my stuff and go and the mom with her kid and comes out and offers to trade me her games for my MKII, and I traded it to her for a copy of for Super Metroid. It was great because the game shop guy could see us sanding right out the door there and was pissed, but fuck him. Trying to trade people's shit off before he owns it.

Later on that shop got in trouble with the law for moving stolen shit, and started having to make you fill out paper work when you would sell or trade in and they had to hold everything for a week before they could sell it.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
naw. Mario World.
discuss

SMW is a great game, but it's light entertainment. You play it when you just want to shut your brain off.

Super Metroid is more engaging. Nothing touches the atmosphere of that game.

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
I have completed my snes collection with only 1 game super metroid, its perfection,

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
The movement along with all the little tricks that have been discovered over the years by the speedrunning community have made this my favorite non fighting game ever made. The pacing, storytelling, and the way the game teaches you without a boring tutorial is perfection. There is just so much goodness buried in this game for you to dig out.

Super metroid respects your intelligence and knows it doesn't have to hold your hand.

I miss the days where figuring out where to go and what to do in a game was a community effort without access to the internet. Every weekend we would get a little bit further in super metroid or lttp.

Last edited:

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
It's one of my favorites. The iconic boss fights, including Mother Brain were phenomenal and the environments just keep you engaged with their vivid details and variety. One of the first games I got when I had a SNES, and one of the few I play regularly with as much enthusiasm as my first run.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
I completed it, but hardly remember a thing about the content. I may have gone through it in a sitting or two.

How strange.

Aside: I've always wondered about a game you could only play once. How it would feel. . . that's always something you could make of a game, at least.

Last edited: