Supergun Enclosures?

Rori

Crazed MVS Addict
Hiya,

I've just bought a Neo Geo MVS MV1B and i'm piecing together all the stuff i'm going to need to be doing to consolize it. But instead, i've decided to make a Supergun to connect to it.

I was wondering a lot of things like how do people find good enclosures for their Superguns, and Consolized builds? I've got a lot to learn like knowing how to reconfigure the board so the slot is faced up-right instead of sideways...

Anyway yeah, any ideas?

Thank you!

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Wouldn't an MV1C be a better option then? save yourself the work of modifying the 1B. That said I'm unsure why you want to change its orientation at all considering you want to build a supergun...

Rori

Crazed MVS Addict
I got the MV1B for a price I couldn't refuse. Although i'm a bit miffed about that socketed BIOS. I just figured that it was an opportunity for me to put my recently acquired soldering skills to test for relatively cheaply/safely. Anyway, my reason for wanting to reposition the board for cartridge insertion is because its an arcade unit; they didn't think there would be constant stress on both of those two boards by having easy access to switch out games like an home unit. So i'm worried that my replacement of MVS games will wear on the boards -- is this logic flawed?

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I got the MV1B for a price I couldn't refuse. Although i'm a bit miffed about that socketed BIOS. I just figured that it was an opportunity for me to put my recently acquired soldering skills to test for relatively cheaply/safely. Anyway, my reason for wanting to reposition the board for cartridge insertion is because its an arcade unit; they didn't think there would be constant stress on both of those two boards by having easy access to switch out games like an home unit. So i'm worried that my replacement of MVS games will wear on the boards -- is this logic flawed?

Wait, does your MV1B not have black plastic guides for the cart? When a mobo is normally in a cab it's sideways not laying flat down. So the cart is actually vertical on its side. I wouldn't worry too much about stress on your carts most of them were hurled around I the back of arcades. I wish people would quit acting like they are made of glass.

Rori

Crazed MVS Addict
For me its more like the force of removing cartridges, the force exerted on to that board that houses the pins, rocks back and forth on the connector to the mainboard...

I haven't even gotten the board, but primarily the reasoning is for AESthetics. Guess if that's the design of the MV1B it shouldn't be too bad. Is there little rubber feet I should add to not scrape off any traces?

Maybe I should just goto Walmart and dremel out a Rubbermaid container :lolz:

Last edited:

ChiefofSB

Geese's Thug
You should check out Jasen's website it has alot of tools and stuff to make superguns.
jasenscustoms.com

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Those cases from Jason's custom are gigantic. Way too big for my style. $150 for a piece of cut sheet metal that's been painted is kinda steep. It's nice that a CPS2 cart fits nicely on top of them, but meh.

http://www.polycase.com/zn-45

That's really all you'd need, can easily fit a jamma connector, video encoder + ports, 2 controller ports, and power switch inside that sucker.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Those cases from Jason's custom are gigantic. Way too big for my style. $150 for a piece of cut sheet metal that's been painted is kinda steep. It's nice that a CPS2 cart fits nicely on top of them, but meh.

http://www.polycase.com/zn-45

That's really all you'd need, can easily fit a jamma connector, video encoder + ports, 2 controller ports, and power switch inside that sucker.

That was used in pixeljunkie's reaper supergun.

reaper4.jpg

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Ya, they're very convenient, that one guy from Neotropolis or w/e sells a supergun using the same case for $500 bones or something on ebay :rolleyes:.

You really don't need anything larger, the damn Jamma boards themselves take enough room as is.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You really don't need anything larger, the damn Jamma boards themselves take enough room as is.

If you want a full arcade PSU inside then you need a bigger enclosure but these smaller units with external power supplies can run the majority of arcade boards out there.