Swapping the B and C Buttons on a Neo Geo MVS

Would you like to have a swith like this

• Hell yes!

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Hell no! It ruins the way the game was meant to be played!

Votes: 15 57.7%
  • Meh

Votes: 8 30.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tighe

Cheng's Errand Boy
I don't know about anyone else, but playing KOF etc games on the MVS with the buttons in the following configuration is frustrating:

(light punch) (light kick) (hard punch) (hard kick)

or

A B C D

Now I am pretty sure that I remember seeing dedicated KOF and SVC Chaos candy cabinets from Japan configured like this:

(light punch) (hard punch)
(light kick) (hard kick)

or

A C
B D

I am not planning on hacking my MVS control panel so I came up with this solution:

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODQk3G3zLxk

Instructions:
http://www.tighelory.com/2010/08/swapping-b-and-c-buttons-on-neo-geo-mvs.html

Now I can swap B and C with a flip of a switch, and the cable can easily be removed without damaging the MVS. :buttrock:

Clessy

Banned
Yeah I defanitly always have to change my controls to

A C
B D

A B
C D
fucking sucks.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
that's a cool tutorial and all but you do get used to the default layout and it becomes natural. It's tough coming from capcom games and adapting but IMO its better to adapt and be able to play at any arcade than to change the buttons to suit yourself. It's always annoying at street fighter gatherings when you have that one dood who needs to change his buttons before every match when everyone else uses default and wanna jump right into combat :).

But hey really nowdays I guess that's irrelevant to most people since we have very few arcades and almost none of which get competition in old neogeo games.

EDIT: and your basement is fucking beautiful.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You could have used a way smaller toggle switch but if that's only what you had on hand then I understand.

Tighe

Cheng's Errand Boy
that's a cool tutorial and all but you do get used to the default layout and it becomes natural. It's tough coming from capcom games and adapting but IMO its better to adapt and be able to play at any arcade than to change the buttons to suit yourself. It's always annoying at street fighter gatherings when you have that one dood who needs to change his buttons before every match when everyone else uses default and wanna jump right into combat :).

But hey really nowdays I guess that's irrelevant to most people since we have very few arcades and almost none of which get competition in old neogeo games.

EDIT: and your basement is fucking beautiful.

I don't want you guys to think that I didn't do this without trying to get used to the controls, it has been a long time, and I still get confused in intense action. Anyone looked at a SVC Chaos mini marquee? The layout on the marquee is:

AC
BD

I was pretty sure I saw a in a japanese video a candy dedicated Garou MOTW and the buttons were in a 2x2 configuration. Has anyone else seen that?

Also thanks about the basement comment! My collection is nothing compared to the guys on the KLOV forums.

Yeah I defanitly always have to change my controls to

A C
B D

A B
C D
fucking sucks.

Really for KOF, MOTW, SVC it really does. For Samurai Shodown I prefer ABCD.

AB
CD
does suck.

But ABCD rules and is the way the games should be played.

If you look at those mini marquees you will see

AC
BD

SNKvsCapcom-SVC-Chaos.gif

neo_geo_mini_marquee_lighted_thumb.jpg

Does anyone have a cabinet that came that way, or photos of a Japanese cabinet like that? No Dynamo conversions please :make_fac:

Tighe

Cheng's Errand Boy
Sefer Halilović (Xian Xi --if you refuse to deal with him over a name change a mod will stab*;3044346 said:
You could have used a way smaller toggle switch but if that's only what you had on hand then I understand.

I sure could, but I like that size!

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
If you look at those mini marquees you will see

AC
BD

SNKvsCapcom-SVC-Chaos.gif

neo_geo_mini_marquee_lighted_thumb.jpg

NEWSFLASH: Those aren't real mini marquees. Neither of those games had mini marquees.

And secondly, that was after the cabs started being perverted from traditional Neo cabs. For your future reference, here are what real Neo cabs look like, not shitty converted cabs:

Neo25.jpg

picture.php

1slotb.jpg

and here's a close-up of the American Neo cab:
0.jpg

And here's an old-style Neo stick:
usbneogeostick.jpg

In ALL of those, buttons in a row -- ABCD -- the way Buddha and E Kawasaki intended.

Anything else, including the Neo CD pad, is WRONG.

Tighe

Cheng's Errand Boy
NEWSFLASH: Those aren't real mini marquees. Neither of those games had mini marquees.

OK what about the JAMMA kit? It came with all this:

5312_3.JPG

Note the button configuration above.

I know the original MVS came

:A::B::C::D:

But I was sure I saw a Japanese MVS (abeit in something like a blastcity) that was configured:

:A::C:
:B::D:

What would solve it is if someone had a SVC chaos manual with the button configuration recommendations.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
OK what about the JAMMA kit? It came with all this:

Fuck, maybe you can't read. Again:

And secondly, that was after the cabs started being perverted from traditional Neo cabs.

Do you really want to hold up SvC as an example of how to do anything?

I'm talking about real Neo Geo. Real cabs. Real Homecart systems. Not that fake-ass latter-day shit.

Also, fuck the PCBs. Terrible idea.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
And secondly, that was after the cabs started being perverted from traditional Neo cabs. For your future reference, here are what real Neo cabs look like, not shitty converted cabs:
picture.php

Man, I miss the chrome CP on that old cab. Can't say I missed that apartment nor my roommates as well..

I could never play Neo games with the 2+2 (top/bottom) nor change the button layout on a 4 button string.

Tighe

Cheng's Errand Boy
Fuck, maybe you can't read. Again:

Do you really want to hold up SvC as an example of how to do anything?

I'm talking about real Neo Geo. Real cabs. Real Homecart systems. Not that fake-ass latter-day shit.

Also, fuck the PCBs. Terrible idea.

LOL!

If it were just the older games then it wouldn't be an issue at all, the controls are great in those games!

But for SVC Chaos and GMOTW (Later preverted games by your definition) they are the ones that are a problem for me. Hence the switch. :)

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
LOL!

If it were just the older games then it wouldn't be an issue at all, the controls are great in those games!

But for SVC Chaos and GMOTW (Later preverted games by your definition) they are the ones that are a problem for me. Hence the switch. :)
Mark of the Wolves is not a later game. It came out from OLD SNK on traditional hardware. They didn't try to release it on stupid PBCs to try to get it into shitty converted cabs.

And again, reading seems to be a problem for you. I didn't say the games were "preverted". Go back and check. I was talking about the low-rent, non-MVS cabs. Not the games. I just singled SvC out as not being something you want to emulate in any department.

Tighe

Cheng's Errand Boy
Mark of the Wolves is not a later game. It came out from OLD SNK on traditional hardware. They didn't try to release it on stupid PBCs to try to get it into shitty converted cabs.

And again, reading seems to be a problem for you. I didn't say the games were "preverted". Go back and check. I was talking about the low-rent, non-MVS cabs. Not the games. I just singled SvC out as not being something you want to emulate in any department.

Dude what is with the hating? I am sharing something I did and I am trying to explain my motivations for doing it. Granted I did confuse that you were talking about cabinets and not the games.

OK so I did some searching and found a GMOTW full kit photo. Looks like you were right. Still I prefer my kicks and punches together.

motw.jpg

No hard feelings? :)

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
That is just the way I post. It's not personal. Although you are wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong. So very wrong. Anyhow, you asked and posted a poll. My vote is that ABCD is the way it was meant to be, not some pussified, watered-down imitation of Capcom games minus the medium punch and kick.

Capcom is Capcom and SNK is SNK. And SNK is ABCD.

Tighe

Cheng's Errand Boy
That is just the way I post. It's not personal. Although you are wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong. So very wrong. Anyhow, you asked and posted a poll. My vote is that ABCD is the way it was meant to be, not some pussified, watered-down imitation of Capcom games minus the medium punch and kick.

Capcom is Capcom and SNK is SNK. And SNK is ABCD.

I can certainly tell by the poll that people here prefer :A::B::C::D:. And don't get me wrong, I want that too for almost every game except for SVC and KOF. The whole punch kick punch kick configuration seems retarded. :make_fac:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Not as retarded as someone who can't play KOF the right way: :A::B::C::D: :emb:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
You are making it awful hard for me to belittle you with your self-effacing ways. Cut that out.

Tighe

Cheng's Errand Boy
You are making it awful hard for me to belittle you with your self-effacing ways. Cut that out.

Here this will help, a large version of my avatar. Yes that is me, and yes I own a Propcycle:

propcycle_3_320x240.gif

There I have embiggened myself, belittle away! :)

Fett

Camel Slug
A neat solution, but unless you constantly swap between cab types it's easy to get used to one or the other.

Have you made a pause button on any of your MVS cabs?

That's something I've been meaning to do, but I want to find some kind of HAPP style button I can have on the outside of the cab with a toggle micro switch instead of a traditional toggel like you used for your button swap switch.

Guide: http://www.hardmvs.com/html/pause2.htm

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member

That's something I've been meaning to do, but I want to find some kind of HAPP style button I can have on the outside of the cab with a toggle micro switch instead of a traditional toggel like you used for your button swap switch.

If you have a multislot cab you can just use a Unibios and use the in-game menu to pause, you can also disable the UB splash screen as well.

Tighe

Cheng's Errand Boy
A neat solution, but unless you constantly swap between cab types it's easy to get used to one or the other.

I like how he put the toggle where the carriage bolt was on the CP. Great idea!

Sefer Halilović (Xian Xi --if you refuse to deal with him over a name change a mod will stab*;3044497 said:
If you have a multislot cab you can just use a Unibios and use the in-game menu to pause, you can also disable the UB splash screen as well.

That is pretty cool, I run a multi-cart in one slot of my 4 slot, and I think that it doesn't work with the UB.