Taiso's Game Giveaway Part 3 - Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster (PS3)

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Nice! Good luck to the contestants. I'm not entering though.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
I already have this for the Vita.

Thanks to Taiso for the raffle though, and best of luck to those in the draw.

Cousin_Itt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
I guess I'm technically disqualifying myself since I don't own a ps3. However, I do have access to one since my cousin/roommate owns one and never plays it anymore (Only plays fps and bought an XBOX1. I'm should see if he might sell it to me). I feel bad since I've only played 5 Final Fantasy games, (FF6, FF7, FF8, FF12 and FFTactics). Some of my friends from high school always made fun of me since I never played 10 let alone the sequel. But then again, never was too much into the ps2 early on. And I live in San Diego, so yes to the living in the 48 US part (Though for the most part, feels like I live in Mexico)

Ancient Flounder

"Just walk away. Give me the pump...the oil...the
15 Year Member
You are eligible to enter this raffle if you want. Prior victories have no bearing on the current giveaway.

But you should have waited until the very end like last time. If you won again, it would have been hysterical.

I am definitely interested, for sure. And my luck wouldn't allow for two close-call victories to occur. I'm sure there's a law of nature in place to keep that shit in check.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I guess I'm technically disqualifying myself since I don't own a ps3. However, I do have access to one since my cousin/roommate owns one and never plays it anymore (Only plays fps and bought an XBOX1. I'm should see if he might sell it to me). I feel bad since I've only played 5 Final Fantasy games, (FF6, FF7, FF8, FF12 and FFTactics). Some of my friends from high school always made fun of me since I never played 10 let alone the sequel. But then again, never was too much into the ps2 early on. And I live in San Diego, so yes to the living in the 48 US part (Though for the most part, feels like I live in Mexico)

For the next giveaway, when it happens, I might say "you must have ready access to the platform" rather than "you must own." The original idea was that I wanted the winner to actually play the game, but I guess I didn't totally think it through.

Unfortunately, I can't go back on what I set in the OP. Thank you for your honesty though. It definitely needs to be commended.

I am definitely interested, for sure. And my luck wouldn't allow for two close-call victories to occur. I'm sure there's a law of nature in place to keep that shit in check.

It's like Roy Batty said:

"You can't win if you don't play."

Last edited:

bartre

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
these things are always cool, don't enter me though, i've got it already.
good on ya!

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Some day I'm gonna 100% this game. Someday.

The only thing really holding me back is having to dodge the stupid lightening 200 times :(

Zoel

New Challenger
Don't mind playing FF10 again. But I wonder if there is anyway I can bare through myself playing FFX-2.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Don't mind playing FF10 again. But I wonder if there is anyway I can bare through myself playing FFX-2.

I don't know if I could either...I've heard X-2 is a steaming pile...

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Here is a Final Fantasy X-2 review I might have written back when it was released had I been so inclined to do that all those years ago. These are essentially 'my thoughts at the time' mined from my own subconscious. I've done my best not to let my present general outlook on everything affect my view from 'back then.'

I thought the dress sphere was, at the time, an interesting take on character swapping in the game.

In X, you could swap people in and out of your party on the fly, but in X-2, they substituted this mechanic with the dress spheres. That is, changing jobs on the fly rather than characters.

In a purely mechanical context, it's really no different.

It's just that it's 'dressed up' (heh) as the characters, three teenage girls of various personalities and temperments, changing clothes like magical girls to take on foes as required.

I think it's a clever idea, but you're really asking a lot of an international audience to just 'go with it.' The aesthetics aren't somethign people can just accept without reservation. Gameplay nazis will say it doesn't matter, but that's always beena broken argument: character designs, narrative, music, presentation, etc...all of this stuff DOES matter to the customers. It's only a minority that look at a video game like Neo and see vertically descending strings of code to be manipulated. I think a person that says 'get over it and play the game', especially a Final Fantasy game, is a weird guy/gal.

In terms of the story, this is the harder obstacle to overcome. This game is the first official sequel to any Final Fantasy game ever released. As such, it came with huge, HUGE expectations. And this is the first true instance of S-E's arrogance as game developers that I can remember. They made the game they wanted to make, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that ideologically. But they seemingly did this in a vacuum, completely unaware of whether or not anyone would even like tie idea of running around the world of Spira as an idol singer trio getting in unimportant adventures, completing annoying side quests, bantering with cliched treasure hunter rivals and ultimately getting involved in the political intrigues of a world picking up the pieces after their entire religious/spiritual foundation has been eliminiated.

Oh, and you occasionally stop in to say hi to the characters from X that survived and see how they're doing.

I boldfaced that last comment above because this, independent of all the distracting side stuff and girly-girl storyline, sounds fucking magnificent as a narrative concept for a Final Fantasy sequel. The problem is that the game takes its own sweet time unboxing this element and distracting you with too many annoying other things to do so that when you finally get around to it, it just doesn't matter that much.

What do I think now?

Well, I look at it in the same way that I currently look at games like Resident Evil 6 and Devil May Cry 4.

Yes, they've taken some chances to try to infuse something fresh into the IP. No, it doesn't all work. Yes, some of it is so bad as to give me nerd rage.

All of that said, there is a LOT to like about Resident Evil 6, Devil May Cry 4 and Final Fantasy X-2.

My advice to you is to not 'want' or 'expect' anything out of Final Fantasy X-2. Take it for what it is and try to enjoy it on its own level. It IS ultimately a well designed game with some pacing issues and narrative missteps. You may not initially like the new characters, narrative focus or changes to gameplay. And it's fair to criticize that stuff. But there is more than enough to like about it that you should have no problem adopting an open minded view and kicking it with Yuna, Rikku and Paine for a little while. Even if Rikku looks like an ugly fucking skank in X-2. Just put a bag over her head.

Last edited:

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Final Fantasy X-2 review.

Having never played either game, this write up makes me want to play both games that much more. Didn't know they had on the fly character/job class switching in battle. Thats freaking awesome. I know BoF IV did the same and I loved that game for it.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
The worse part of X-2 is pretty much all of chapter 4. You have to watch every last bit of it not only for the 100% completion but also for the Mascot DS as well.

DonBurgundy

NEST Puppet
Sign me in! I still haven't played X-2... I did enjoy FFX tho. This is a cool thing you're doing for the community. Thanks

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
Yep, it's that time again.

This time I'm giving away Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster for PS3, factory sealed. This is the limited edition that comes with the artbook that has the forward by the game's original producer included.

The stips:

1.) You must have a PS3.
2.) You must not already own the game.
3.) You must either live in the contiguous 48 united states or be willing to pay for the shipping if you live overseas and have a PS3 that can run a US region version of the game.
4.) Your NG.com account must already exist at the time of this post-I will not accept an entry from anyone creating their account after this is posted.

Doing this for the people, as always. Thank you for accepting me as a part of the ng.com family.

Post in the thread if you're interested. One week from today, I'll announce the winner.

Sign me up dude!

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Bumping to make sure everyone interested gets a chance to see it. Reminder that the drawing is this Monday, 5/19/14. Probably in the afternoon.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Last bump before I announce the winner later this afternoon.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Here is a Final Fantasy X-2 review I might have written back when it was released had I been so inclined to do that all those years ago. These are essentially 'my thoughts at the time' mined from my own subconscious. I've done my best not to let my present general outlook on everything affect my view from 'back then.'

I thought the dress sphere was, at the time, an interesting take on character swapping in the game.

In X, you could swap people in and out of your party on the fly, but in X-2, they substituted this mechanic with the dress spheres. That is, changing jobs on the fly rather than characters.

In a purely mechanical context, it's really no different.

It's just that it's 'dressed up' (heh) as the characters, three teenage girls of various personalities and temperments, changing clothes like magical girls to take on foes as required.

I think it's a clever idea, but you're really asking a lot of an international audience to just 'go with it.' The aesthetics aren't somethign people can just accept without reservation. Gameplay nazis will say it doesn't matter, but that's always beena broken argument: character designs, narrative, music, presentation, etc...all of this stuff DOES matter to the customers. It's only a minority that look at a video game like Neo and see vertically descending strings of code to be manipulated. I think a person that says 'get over it and play the game', especially a Final Fantasy game, is a weird guy/gal.

In terms of the story, this is the harder obstacle to overcome. This game is the first official sequel to any Final Fantasy game ever released. As such, it came with huge, HUGE expectations. And this is the first true instance of S-E's arrogance as game developers that I can remember. They made the game they wanted to make, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that ideologically. But they seemingly did this in a vacuum, completely unaware of whether or not anyone would even like tie idea of running around the world of Spira as an idol singer trio getting in unimportant adventures, completing annoying side quests, bantering with cliched treasure hunter rivals and ultimately getting involved in the political intrigues of a world picking up the pieces after their entire religious/spiritual foundation has been eliminiated.

Oh, and you occasionally stop in to say hi to the characters from X that survived and see how they're doing.

I boldfaced that last comment above because this, independent of all the distracting side stuff and girly-girl storyline, sounds fucking magnificent as a narrative concept for a Final Fantasy sequel. The problem is that the game takes its own sweet time unboxing this element and distracting you with too many annoying other things to do so that when you finally get around to it, it just doesn't matter that much.

What do I think now?

Well, I look at it in the same way that I currently look at games like Resident Evil 6 and Devil May Cry 4.

Yes, they've taken some chances to try to infuse something fresh into the IP. No, it doesn't all work. Yes, some of it is so bad as to give me nerd rage.

All of that said, there is a LOT to like about Resident Evil 6, Devil May Cry 4 and Final Fantasy X-2.

My advice to you is to not 'want' or 'expect' anything out of Final Fantasy X-2. Take it for what it is and try to enjoy it on its own level. It IS ultimately a well designed game with some pacing issues and narrative missteps. You may not initially like the new characters, narrative focus or changes to gameplay. And it's fair to criticize that stuff. But there is more than enough to like about it that you should have no problem adopting an open minded view and kicking it with Yuna, Rikku and Paine for a little while. Even if Rikku looks like an ugly fucking skank in X-2. Just put a bag over her head.

I just con't do it...I can try...but I can't.

I'm kind of off on my own with my "local" peers as in I though FFX was fantastic. I could overlook the corny parts in the same way I lovingly overlook some of the corny parts of 80's flicks I love so much. In the end, I found the game to be epic in scope and easily on par with FF IV, VI and VIII. So many of my FF fanboy friends disliked FFX...I got hammered for liking it so much.

When I heard of X-2 I was beyond excited...coming back to the world to see the aftermath of the epic shake-up FFX caused...awesome-sauce.

Yeah...then I read about it...and the reviews...fuck's sake.

It's like saying "Well...Star Wars Episode I is not too bad if you don't compare it in the slightest to the films that came before it and you ignore that fuck-pile of stupid shit in it..."

I'd try it...but I imagine I'd hate it...

FFX on the other hand, I haven't played through since 2008...I'm due for another romp.

I wish to god they'd remake FF VII. The battle scenes are painfully bad now...I tried to give it a go a few years back and it was so damn bad looking I gave up. Too bad to as I'd love to play it again sometime.

On that note...I'm currently playing FF VI though on the SNES, first time playing it through since 2004 or so. I've been having a blast with it.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
I'm down. Been interested in trying this out actually. Thanks for the idea!

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
All right, everyone. Put your hands together for the winner of my third (but far from last) game giveaway here at ng.com.

NEO_MOE

Congratulations!

PM me your address and I'll get the game in the mail in the next few days.