Taito in Widescreen decades before we had it at home

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
The technology probably seemed retarded at the time but thank fuck Japan used to bother to push the envelope on tech beyond profitability "just because". Now we have lots of live broadcast only events from the time period that can be enjoyed in proper image quality.

Even a stupid demo no one would watch willingly is now a cool snapshot of sometime in the 90s.

Good channel to check out for this sort of thing.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
The technology probably seemed retarded at the time but thank fuck Japan used to bother to push the envelope on tech beyond profitability "just because". Now we have lots of live broadcast only events from the time period that can be enjoyed in proper image quality.

Even a stupid demo no one would watch willingly is now a cool snapshot of sometime in the 90s.

@LoneSage sighting at 1:00

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
2 more super wide screen games were Galaxian 3 (1993) and Attack of the Zolgear (1994)

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Back in the day my local Chuck E Cheese had a Ninja Warriors, it was quite a memorable sight.

These days every time I play Ninja Warriors, I keep thinking, "hmm this game is mostly melee with occasional ranged attacks, so why does it need to be wide?" And then that tank rolls up and takes a full fucking screen by itself, and it all makes sense. Also the jets longer than all three screens combined. Quite interesting to see full-sized vehicles in games.

I do like games where melee attacks don't stop you from moving. Gives it a nice flow as you advance into enemies mid-swing. The boss enemies are crazy at first, but they have quirks you can abuse to trick them into openings (also tricking the tank into running over a bunch of soldiers is funny as hell). Flip-jumping is interesting as it moves you faster than the screen scrolls, so you can get all the way to the right and ambush the gun/grenade enemies like a proper ninja lol.